Dublin v Tyrone

Started by downredblack, December 13, 2006, 03:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realredhandfan

The Boys in blue by 5 and I wouldnt begrudge them it either with all their nightmare injuries..

esmonde

Have ro disagree with you dubsnsubs, the team picked is not a bad team at all with a strong bench to be brought on if needs be

tayto

Quote from: Josey Whales on January 30, 2007, 10:29:47 PM
because you have as many new guys as we have.
casey hasn't played any football. etc.
a new full back
a 19 year old kicking frees-
could all go swimmingly- could all go down the pan. i think with the 4 below players we'd win. No problem with connolly and brennan they deserve to start but i 'd prefer a few more experienced men around them.

cullen-whelan-quinn-cahill that's as many as you're misssing. so don't give us that load of b*****.

exactly, strange team, i'd have gone for connolly and brennan alright but not sure about leaving cullen and the others out.

Anyway if we were saying it'd be a dublin win, no doubt we'd be getting abuse for being cocky.

realredhandfan

dubsnsubs

I think when Niall O Shea stands beside Brian Rouse it will become obvious where Dublin's problems will surface! What bothers me more is that there does'nt appear to be any plan B to deal with a high ball bombardment. I dont think any of the six Dublin backs is over six foot and even Bryan Cullen isnt exactly a monster. We badly need a commanding figure araound the square or else its only more misery down the road.......even if we do manage to scrape a win on Saturday evening. I'd also be fairly confident that Collie Moran wont last too long at centre back either. I was optimistic starting off last year........this year I'm not. Ross McConnell would appear to be the only hope but hes suspended. We'll see!

esmonde

Have to agree about the full back position, we need to get someone there ASAP. What about Christie? Being out last year may give him enough to last one more year.

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 30, 2007, 06:32:39 PM
You've lost me GNevin. What problem was in the Canal End? I'm genuinely curious, I can't remember this at all.

I don't undertand what you are saying about the pitch being crap, or the Kilkenny invasion either. I feel like I've missed a few episodes of this series :D

See canalmans answer for the problem with the canal end ,

As for kilkenny don't you remember how the dubs pitch invasion after the Leinster  was shocking  and compacted the pitch , then kilkenny done it and nothing was said

Or how it turned out the pitch was crap because it wasn't laid right and the sand and soil mixtures isn't correct
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Quote from: esmonde on January 30, 2007, 11:35:00 PM
Have to agree about the full back position, we need to get someone there ASAP. What about Christie? Being out last year may give him enough to last one more year.
Chrisite is concentrating on his studies (finishing a Masters or something), so will not be available to join the panel until March.

I'm happy with the team. Cullen's not playing because he's missed lots of training sessions - he started a few weeks later than most. He'll be broight on though and will paly a big role. I see nothing wrong with giving O'Shea and O'Mahoney their chance. There's a lot more to defending against a big full forward than height.

Connolly deserves his chance after his performances, and having Quinn on beside him would just add to the pressure as he'd be thinking "1 miss and I'll be off the frees". In any event Dotsie deserves his chance too.

And no matter what happens elsewhere on the pitch Brogan, Keaney and Bonner will ensure we'll score more than they do  ;D

Northside Dub

The one change id make would be to start cullen instead of moran at centre back, the rest of the team have done well so far this year and deserve their shot! I have my doubts about O'Shea on Tyrone's big FF, id have cahill in there for his extra height and strength!!
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

loughshore lad

Quote from: dubsnsubs on January 30, 2007, 11:26:13 PM
I think when Niall O Shea stands beside Brian Rouse it will become obvious where Dublin's problems will surface!

I dont know why all the dubs are getting worked up about a potential aerial bombardment of their full back line. Yes Tyrone have played a big man in full forward (Rouse) in the Mckenna cup and he has played quite well. However he has not yet been named by Mickey Harte on the starting team for saturday night and furthermore in the games I saw in the Mckenna cup the ball just was not lumped in high at every opportunity. Yes on a small number of times a high ball was used when there was no other option but in the vast majority of cases it was a low calculated ball played into the inside forward line of which Rouse was one. Just because Kerry had great sucess in the latter part of the season with Donaghy (who in my opinion is better than Rouse) does not mean Mickey Harte will try and copy them. I would not be surprised if by the time the year is out Mickey has reinvented the wheel.
As for the game on Saurday I will wait to see what team Tyrone put out before making any predictions. Tyrone posters on here dont seem to be aware of the fact that Tyrones team on Saturday night will apparently be drawn from their McKenna cup panel - some of the potntial teams have included Justin McMahon.

realredhandfan

Big Rouse I believe also played in the Under 21 losing final to the Dubs in 2003, can you correct me who he marked

offtheground

Any truth in the rumor that Pascal McConnell got injured at the training in croke park last night? Heard someone mention a broken collar bone??
Don't know how reliable the source would be though.......

offtheground

More detail, wrong keeper mentioned in post above.
From BCC;

Devine injury blow for Red Hands 

John Devine sustained the injury while training at Croke Park
Tyrone keeper John Devine is a major doubt for Saturday's National Football League opener against Dublin because of a suspected broken collarbone.
The Errigal Ciaran goalkeeper picked up the injury while training under lights at Croke Park on Tuesday evening.

If he is ruled out, Jonathan Curran is likely to get the number one jersey.

Dublin's side shows three changes from the O'Byrne Cup final win over Laois with Alan Brogan, David Henry and Paul Casey coming into the side.

The players to lose out are Coman Goggins, Colin Prenderville and Tomas Quinn.

The Red Hands will be without several major players for the floodlit game at Croke Park, including the suspended Stephen O'Neill and other injury victims, Brian Dooher, Conor Gormley and Colin Holmes.

Tyrone boss Mickey Harte will use the same panel of players who competed in the McKenna Cup for Saturday's opener against Dublin.

He will name a squad for the league after the McKenna Cup campaign is over.

"We'll be working off our McKenna Cup squad for the time being," confirmed the Tyrone boss.

Forward Brian McGuigan hopes to be challenging for a place in Mickey Harte's Tyrone team within a month after recovering from a broken leg.

The Ardboe player has targeted Tyrone's NFL tie against Cork on 24 February as his possible comeback game but adds that he will "not be rushing it".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dublin: S Cluxton, D Henry, N O'Shea, P Griffin, P Casey, C Moran, G Brennan, D O'Mahony, D Magee, D Murray, A Brogan, D Connolly, D O'Callaghan, K Bonner, C Keaney.

Pietas

What time are the Saw Doctors on?
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.