What's the worst and best job you've ever had?

Started by pintsofguinness, February 26, 2008, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Putting washers onto screws in a cold draughty warehouse in Duncrue

Sending pager messages through to customers - "please call John on the mobile" etc.

Sorting out a basement room full of clothes hangers in Price Blasters

All holiday jobs so there was always the light at the end of the tunnel and the knowledge that this wasn't for life

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: stephenite on February 27, 2008, 12:08:31 AM
Putting washers onto screws in a cold draughty warehouse in Duncrue

Sending pager messages through to customers - "please call John on the mobile" etc.

Sorting out a basement room full of clothes hangers in Price Blasters

All holiday jobs so there was always the light at the end of the tunnel and the knowledge that this wasn't for life

Unless your a Dub that is  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Fishbat

ha ha, trip down memory lane here

Worst

security guard - daily battles with glue beg spides and diarrhoea sodden alco's

video vacuum packer - seeing the cover of dirty f**kin dancing 10000 times a day

steel cutting - not fun in 40 degree heat.

veg/farm - weeding lettuce - drill after f**kin drill of fathen - diggin holes for dead sheep.

Fitting PVC windows - nightmare carting glass over rafters 30 ft up

various other shit too shitty to mention

Best

Landscaping - great altogether, plus others get to enjoy your work - will probably return to it all being well.

selling showbags - daily craziness from australian inbred outbackers

veg-farming - weeding aside, thoroughly enjoyed on and off over ten years from about 12 yr old, great sessions too when i got older

5 Sams

Best was:
Taking NI/OWC/ 6 Counties companies on trade missions all over the world when I worked for our main economic development agency in NI in the 90s.

Worst:
Trying to be pleasant serving tools and absolute dickheads while working behind the bar in Cupids in the 80s. Cnuts
The Aristocrat Years

el_cuervo_fc

Best:

Worked on a site looking down onto Bondi Beach.  straight down the hill after work and into the sea in my work shorts, then across the road to the Bondi Hotel for a few scooners and some games of pool.

Worst:

3 days in the outback sorting out boxes of oranges.  Putting bad oranges into one box, good in the other.  What a thoroughly mind stimulating exercise

Aerlik

1. In the days before the machine would do it, silage bales had to be bagged using oversized bin liner-type bags.  Did it for a day when I was 16 for the uncle of a certain ex-captain of Derry Minors (last year).  Came home clarried in mud and stinking of rotten grass and mam kicked up a stink to which my sister replied it would be good prep for real life.  She wasn't far wrong.

2. Having to follow a trenching machine with a trenching shovel and clear out all the sand that fell back in (at Perth airport) and in the Goldfields.  Hot, hot, hot and feckin back-breaking.  Little wonder the back is near fecked now.

Best:

Flying, especially when doing instrument approaches in the shmoo and you pop out just about minimum descent altitude.  Exciting, adrenalin-pumping, satisfying.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

thejuice

Worst:
Logisitics Manager - interesting for a while but got depressing after a couple of months
Landscaping - Work was good but the boss' and some of the staff were the biggest wankers I ever met.

Best:
Landscape Architect - Current job, great boss, great staff, interesting work
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

johnneycool

Worst: Milked 200 cows every day after school for a whole £5. It would either of frozen the hands off you in winter or the f**king flys would drive you insane in the summer. You get used to the smell after a while. Done that for two years christmas days and all.

Colonel Cool

Quote from: johnneycool on February 27, 2008, 11:01:41 AM

Worst: Milked 200 cows every day after school for a whole £5. It would either of frozen the hands off you in winter or the f**king flys would drive you insane in the summer. You get used to the smell after a while. Done that for two years christmas days and all.

And it made you the man you are tyoday!  ;)
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

johnneycool

Quote from: Colonel Cool on February 27, 2008, 11:05:28 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 27, 2008, 11:01:41 AM

And it made you the man you are tyoday!  ;)

you certainly know the value of a pound when you work for a farmer.

pintsofguinness

Might have got best job I ever had today - accepted by this website to do take tablets over 18 mnoths as part of an experiment - great money too! For nothing!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

screenexile

Best Job:

Barman at the Elk. 9-1.30 take no shit, good people, good music, great craic and no real hassle from anyone

Worst Job:

2 Summers prettie gathering... I still get chills thinking about it. 9-9 for £4 a box at a max of 5 boxes a day!!!

Louth Exile

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 27, 2008, 01:37:36 PM
Might have got best job I ever had today - accepted by this website to do take tablets over 18 mnoths as part of an experiment - great money too! For nothing!

:D Classic, I assume they are happy pills

Worst Job: In my second year of college in Dublin worked in Supermacs on O'Connell St for 3 months. The absolute pits, there was this culchie/dub divide, the work was bad enough, but most of your co workers were worse!

I always enjoyed bar work down home, the only time I worked in the big smoke was in the infamous "Slapper Face Jacks" which many on here will be familiar with, I actually wasn't mad on it  :-\  I was younger and fitter back then and you would get some amount of offer each night from the young lady folk though.

Finished college in 99 and went into the career I am in now, still glad I made the choice and enjoy the work (well four days out of five anyway)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

pintsofguinness

QuoteClassic, I assume they are happy pills

I don't know what they're for, I'm a bit worried though because Billyboots told me it might be just glucose and that would mess up my diet.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

GaryColemansLeftPeg

Working in the Law Library in Queens in 06.  Few dickheads swanning about there, treating you like shite and you in their class.