The cost of building houses?

Started by amallon, February 25, 2008, 02:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

How much to build a very standard 2000 sq ft bungalow?  Contractor and Self-build?  ball park figures
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

downredblack

Your architect will give you a price per sq metre for both self build and contractor and tell him to live in the real world . I wouldn't go down the contractor road his fee is better off in your bank account . Self build will give you a right few headaches but financially well worth it . If you have any friends/ relatives / contacts in the trades your half way there .

amallon

The architect was talking about £50 per sq ft about a year ago to go with a contractor.  I'd imagine this has came down a bit.  I've heard brickies that were looking 90p a block are now down to around 30p. 

johnneycool

Quote from: amallon on February 25, 2008, 03:28:41 PM
The architect was talking about £50 per sq ft about a year ago to go with a contractor.  I'd imagine this has came down a bit.  I've heard brickies that were looking 90p a block are now down to around 30p. 

Labour costs may be down a bit but material costs are rising. You used to be able to get a load of blocks for about £400, now you'll pay about £500 for the same load.

From what I'm being told timber etc has went up by similar amounts

bcarrier

Its a bit like " how long is a piece of string" when looking for a ft2 rate. Depends on whether you are including all fees and the standard of finishes and in particular flooring, bathrooms, Kitchens etc. I would say that 50ft2 is a good all in rate if you can get it . There are some rates from 2006 for south here showing range from 75 to 150 euro ft2 :  http://www.furniture.ie/c/home-advice/self-build-in-ireland

30p a block is shocking though.

ludermor

you can get blocks laid in galway for 45 cents a block, not by our indigenous people :) Hearing that i would almost make a case for the unions. almost
I really dont know how they can make a living out of it!

The Real Laoislad

Roughly around €150,000 to €200,000
You'll Never Walk Alone.

magickingdom

in the republic if you get it to key turn for e100 per sq ft youve done ok..

From the Bunker

As someone said earlier, it has the how long is a piece of rope feel to it. If you go basic, no frills - then €135k - €175k.

The following will influence costs with direct Labour

drylining and added insulation,
Hollowcore floors (& Concrete stairs),
Site Clearance (has the site to be dug out and developed),
Stonework,
Natural or Fibre Slates (Huge difference there),
Plaster with White Cement and sand,
Paying for Jobs by cash
Keeping a eye on waistage (having a shed close by to store Cement from weather and robbers)
Getting discount from Suppliers (having time to shop around)
Able to do odds jobs
A Good Engineer - Will save money on Construction errors
Scaffolding (Nightmare to get efficency)

loughshore lad

Some good advice and tips above. The one ting I would say is that in certain cases tradesmen are working for less, during the good times of the last few years even the hatchet men were asking for and getting good money. Good quality tradesmen are still getting good money. If you go for a cheaper brickie chances are they might not be great so make sure you dont scrimp on the plastering.

illdecide

If you go with £100 a square foot and that's fully furnished you won't be far away...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

amallon

illdecide - you are starting to scare me.  £100 a sq ft seems a lot.  A contractor would be around £50 per sq ft, to get the house built.  I'd need to put in bathrooms, the kitchen and furnish the thing after that but I'd doubt that would bring it up to £100/sq ft.

I have a serious amount of digging to do as I'm on the side of a fairly steep hill.  It could take up to 2 weeks to dig the thing out.

downredblack

Quote from: loughshore lad on February 26, 2008, 08:37:27 AM
Some good advice and tips above. The one ting I would say is that in certain cases tradesmen are working for less, during the good times of the last few years even the hatchet men were asking for and getting good money. Good quality tradesmen are still getting good money. If you go for a cheaper brickie chances are they might not be great so make sure you dont scrimp on the plastering.

Agree 100% , if your not happy with the finish tell them straight away and get it redone , if not you'll  notice it every time you walk by it . It's easier to re-skim a wall when the place is like a bomb site than it is a year after you have moved in .
Don't know if your getting into mains sewerage or going for a treatment system , If you are going for a treatment system PM me and I'll tell you one not to go for .

hectorsheroes

Alot depends on what you want, the size of the site that needs cleared, underfloor heating etc. I built mine 3 years ago and it is always more than you expect. Nice to be settled though but I would advise you to plan absolutely everything - talk to as many tradesmen as you can about what your thinkin of.

From the Bunker

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 25, 2008, 10:04:33 PM
As someone said earlier, it has the how long is a piece of rope feel to it. If you go basic, no frills - then €135k - €175k.

The following will influence costs with direct Labour

drylining and added insulation,
Hollowcore floors (& Concrete stairs),
Site Clearance (has the site to be dug out and developed),
Stonework,
Natural or Fibre Slates (Huge difference there),
Plaster with White Cement and sand,
Paying for Jobs by cash
Keeping a eye on waistage (having a shed close by to store Cement from weather and robbers)
Getting discount from Suppliers (having time to shop around)
Able to do odds jobs
A Good Engineer - Will save money on Construction errors
Scaffolding (Nightmare to get efficency)
Velux Windows - can add to budget

Get in writing what the contractor will complete and the Cost. Believe me you'll forget and there is nothing worse that some in doing the job to suddenly say this is not part of my spec!

When paying by cash, have a Printed A4 page dated, named, Amount paid,etc, (to prove to youself and the Contractor what you paid and owe)

Play Contractors off each other for prices and in getting jobs done especially when time specific in using Scaffolding.

If you are working during the day, give the house a hour tidy up every evening, you are tiding up a mess and you will see faults without trying. These faults can be nabbed before any more progress is made.

Bring back excessive Materials as soon as you are aware they are not needed, The longer materials stay on site the more likely they will get damaged and become unreturnable.

Be careful when employing friends to do the work, this is a short term business and the pressures of Time, Cost and Workmanship can be a strain on you social life. It is easier to be blunt with a half stranger.