Ronnie Drew Tribute on Late Late

Started by Shamrock Shore, February 22, 2008, 04:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I hope Ronnie doesn't die of embarrassment tonight.

I have listened to the single that Bonzo and the rest of shower have recorded.

Oh Christ it's awful. The chrous is a rip off of Alleluia. Ronniellulia in a way I spose.

Anyway I'll tune in to see what happens and I hope Ronnie lives for another 100 years but with these friends, who needs enemies.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

I heard it too Shamrock and would agree with you. BTW did you get fixed up with a hotel in Newry? I must get back to you on that other issue you e mailed me about recently

Shamrock Shore

I did MQ - except we are doing it the other way around. Staying Fri night in Ramada in Balfast and the Mrs can do some shopping on the Sat before we head south to catch the game at 7.00.

Will farm the females off to The Carrickdale when the Shore parents are overnighting.

I'll record the Late Late for our friend in San Fran. Former drummer says it is an apalling single as well.

Shamrock Shore

Out in Front

Jesus, I can't believe at the end of the song they're still needin' to read the words to the chorus. It's hardly rocket science stuff. Fairly shows up the limitations in Bozo's vocal range though.

Donagh

Heard the song this morning - horrible horrible horrible piece of cringworthy oul shite, but the show tonight is excellent. Reminds me of the best ever Late Late - the Dubliners 25th Anniversary show. No better man than Ronnie to get this laid on...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Donagh on February 22, 2008, 10:13:34 PM
........but the show tonight is excellent. Reminds me of the best ever Late Late - the Dubliners 25th Anniversary show. No better man than Ronnie to get this laid on...

Agreed 100% Donagh. My dad has a video tape of that show, but of course the tape is showing it's age 21 years later. Does anyone know if there was ever a DVD released of that show? Would be an essential purchase if available!!

pintsofguinness

Wtf?

Why are these ones wearing masks?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

miss mess

i got the best laugh at shane magowan.  ive turned it over now though.  big o is supposed to be on podge & rodge tonight, repeated from mon night i think though

Donagh

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on February 22, 2008, 10:25:25 PM
........but the show tonight is excellent. Reminds me of the best ever Late Late - the Dubliners 25th Anniversary show. No better man than Ronnie to get this laid on...

Agreed 100% Donagh. My dad has a video tape of that show, but of course the tape is showing it's age 21 years later. Does anyone know if there was ever a DVD released of that show? Would be an essential purchase if available!!

Still watching it on tape myself Rufus. Love the bit when they talking about Barney being afraid of flying back from Germany. Says Ronnie, you've nothing to worry about; "when your numbers up, your number's up". They all ponder that for a few minutes before someone pipes up, "Aye, so what if the pilots number is up?".  :D

give her dixie

And when Charlie Haughey appeared they had no seat for him, and he says "sure i'm always looking for seats"
That 25th show was the best ever Late Late. Still have the VHS tape, but havn't watched it in a while.
Best of luck to Ronnie Drew, and get well soon.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Zapatista

Pat didn't seem to have much time for Kila who are probably the best tallents there.

carnaross

Quote from: Donagh on February 22, 2008, 11:02:44 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on February 22, 2008, 10:25:25 PM

Have to agree with everyone in relation to the 25th anniversary show - I've got it on video too. Very poignant for me as it was the last Late Late my father watched before he had a stroke the following morning. He died three weeks later. The most poignant moment on the show for me was when Ciaran Bourke recited the poem - The Lament for Brendan Beehan - very powerful.
As to the tribute to Ronnie - I hope he's given a copy, cos he sure as hell wouldn't have such poor taste as to actually buy a copy.

Still watching it on tape myself Rufus. Love the bit when they talking about Barney being afraid of flying back from Germany. Says Ronnie, you've nothing to worry about; "when your numbers up, your number's up". They all ponder that for a few minutes before someone pipes up, "Aye, so what if the pilots number is up?".  :D
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

thejuice

Wish Ronnie all the best, that songs pretty poor, but its one of those tunes you probably shouldnt be too critical of. any idea what shane mcgowens lines were?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Shamrock Shore

While McGowan was the wreck I spied on the flight back from London the day before the recording of Ronnie-lu-ya I was mildly entertained having finally watched it. Poor auld Ronnie was distracted to bits and FFS, at the end, when Ronnie was singing The Auld Triangle, they fucked off to a commercial break. Now, even a 6 yr old producer would have said...hang on, mute all the other clowns and let's hear Ronnie on his own. Shag the ads.

No - off they went.

And who did Ronnie diss by pouring his pint away when speaking to Larry in Germany? Lizzy? Moving Hearts? Ton Ton Macoute? Rocky DeValera? Stepaside? Bagatelle? Horslips?

My money is on Moving Hearts.

I've poured many a pint dissing those jazz/folk chancers down the chute.