WEXFORD V DOWN Div 3 F

Started by imagine, February 22, 2008, 12:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Gael

Western Exile has summed the Down performance up very well, but I think he should have mentioned a few glaring weaknesses in the current set up.
This was always going to be the toughest game in Division 3, why werent we starting with our strongest possible line up ie. Coulter and McCumiskey. Ross has become very predictable at this stage and seems intent on making the same changes week after week. Everyone in Wexford knew that these two players were going to be sprung from the bench with 20 minutes to go. It was too late at that stage, the game was lost by then.
John Clarke was the pick of the forwards in the first half, yet he was taken off, but Cathal Magee was totally ineffective in the forward line and he remained on for the entire 70 minutes, in fact Magee ended the game at midfield, where it seemed it was easier for him to hide. Ambrose  Rodgers was very ineffective yesterday and was dispossed time and time again yet he stayed on for the entire game.
The game was lost in the first 10 minutes of the second half, but we were second best in midfield for the entire game. Wexford played an extra man there for most of the game and Down simply had no answer, every kick out went straight down the middle and came straight back at McVeigh, who has conceeded 8 goals in his last 4 games. Can Ross not see that there is a problem here. Maybe this is the wake up call that Down needed.

Aristotle Flynn

Very disappointing for Down. I wasn't at it and I haven't read any reports. What's the story with Coulter and McComiskey? Are they fit or not? they must be fit if they keep coming on in the second half. It's a bad call not starting them if they are fit. Ross needs to think again.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

western exile

Good follow up DG. I was only commenting on what I saw, and not what I should have seen  :D

You are correct, though. Magee did not perform at all on Sunday, and over all the games so far this year he has been given a good chance to claim a place and has not taken it.  It is admirable that Ross has shown loyalty to a winning team, but that winning way has expired and Coulter must start instead of Magee next time. McCommiskey is now free from Sigerson duty and is now therefore able to play 70min and should start.  And based on the Wexford game, and other games so far, Clarke, Sexton and Hughes must start. So to make room for the 2 boys, McKernan will probably lose out with Sexton moving to CHF.

And midfield obviously struggles without Dan Gordan. Ambrose Rodgers is not the answer yet.

Conceding goals is probably Downs biggest problem still to resolve. Although I am not sure if Brendan McVeigh should be the first choice goalkeeper, it is a bit unfair to blame him for both of Wexfords goals.  Too many teams are finding a way to give the Down goalkeeper no chance! The management need to look at how / why that is happening.

western exile

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/gaa_tables_footballleaguedivision3.html

After Fermanagh's win over Leitrim last weekend, they are now in second place on table with a game in hand, and could take top spot if they beat Louth next weekend.  Pressure is being put on both Wexford and Down for the 2 promotion spots !!

Maguire01

I'd say Fermanagh could be good for one of the top spots, however they have yet to play Louth, Wexfors or Down, so table placings at this stage mean little.