Kerry farmers poison eagles?

Started by Silky, February 21, 2008, 01:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silky

I know there's worse things happening in the world but this still saddens me.

Investigations after deaths of rare eagles
Tuesday, 19 February 2008 19:57

GardaĆ­ and the National Parks and Wildlife Service have begun investigations into the deaths of two white-tailed sea eagles in Co Kerry. 

Last August, the eagles, which were protected under wildlife legislation, were re-introduced into Ireland for the first time in a century.

It is not yet known how the two birds died, but there are concerns that they may have been poisoned. It could be several weeks before this can be determined.

Minister for the Environment John Gormley has expressed his regret and concern at the news.

The National Parks and Wildlife Service became anxious yesterday afternoon when the two birds' transmitters remained stationary for too long.

Allan Mee, who is managing the reintroduction of the birds to Ireland, found one of the birds at around 5pm yesterday afternoon at an undisclosed location on the Iveragh Peninsula.

The second bird was found close-by this morning.

There was some controversy when the chicks first arrived into Ireland from Norway last June. Despite assurances, around 50 farmers protested at Kerry airport over fears that the birds would prey on their lambs.

RTE
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0219/eagle.html

J70

Sad, but predictable. It doesn't matter how much study has been done in other countries or how much tourism these creatures will bring, all it takes it one eagle spotted eating a dead lamb (lambs don't otherwise die in the Irish mountains, don't you know?). Tossers.

his holiness nb

Reminds me of the story of the seals (wasnt it in Kerry?) being clubbed to death on an island a few years back.
If I recall correctly they committed the cardinal sin of eating fish, as they need to do to survive. Rumours had it the local fishermen didnt take kindly to this.
Ask me holy bollix

Mentalman

Hopefully it wasn't done purposfully, but if so, stories like that would make you wonder. I know some people think we should look to take care of humans first before concerning outselves with the plight of animals, but in my book if you can't appreicate and treat nature with some respect, there's not much hope you would treat people better.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

its me again

J70 what proof is there that it was farmers??

Even if it was farmers are having a tough enough time with introducing f**king predators to start eating live stock

if the these creatures aren't native to these shores why take them in, in the 1st place.

if you were getting the shit money farmers are now you would not want a new predator introduced to cut profits once agian

Mentalman

Predator? What, are they raring mice down there? Or rabbits? I thought they were pests, and farmers would be glad to have their help? Or is it because they are tucking into the fish? I mean two of them must make a awful dent in the fish stocks...nah it can't be that. Must be all the robins they are eating. Or perhaps they chow down on spuds of an evenin'? Or the fact they clean up carrion - i.e. clean out dead carcusses - like another bird?

Like I said, I hope this was not done on purpose. Yesl they are predators, but preying on what is the question? Do you think they kill and eat lambs or something?
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

downredblack

I know for a fact that Pigeon men aren't too keen on any birds of prey and don't even mention cats . They would be as welcome as an AFL scout sniffing round your clubs / counties next big hope .

AZOffaly

That's pretty bad alright. Are the other 13 still alive and ok?

Bogball XV

Quote from: its me again on February 21, 2008, 02:11:27 PM

Even if it was farmers are having a tough enough time with introducing f**king predators to start eating live stock

if the these creatures aren't native to these shores why take them in, in the 1st place.

if you were getting the shit money farmers are now you would not want a new predator introduced to cut profits once agian
Will the govt not offer compo if you can prove it?  I thought with all this demand for bio-fuels and increasing food prices etc a farmer's lot was improving?

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 21, 2008, 02:40:40 PM

Will the govt not offer compo if you can prove it?  I thought with all this demand for bio-fuels and increasing food prices etc a farmer's lot was improving?
The farmers lot never improves ,last summer was too wet , the one before to dry, Spring came to early last year , too late a few years before . The price of grain is too high , the price of grain is too low..........

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gnevin on February 21, 2008, 02:47:30 PM

The farmers lot never improves ,last summer was too wet , the one before to dry, Spring came to early last year , too late a few years before . The price of grain is too high , the price of grain is too low..........

Spoken like a true Dub. ;)

Puckoon

Christ thats brutal about those seals. Hopefully this is accidental, as we dont want to condemn before the facts, but it still reeks to high heaven.

full back

Quote from: Puckoon on February 21, 2008, 03:24:23 PM
Christ thats brutal about those seals. Hopefully this is accidental, as we dont want to condemn before the facts, but it still reeks to high heaven.

I think you are hoping against hope there puck

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 21, 2008, 03:06:21 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on February 21, 2008, 02:47:30 PM

Spoken like a true Dub. ;)
;D
See thats the trouble with the Bog , but up here in the Big Smoke everything is just right  :D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.