Birr vs Dunloy

Started by Bord na Mona man, February 21, 2008, 12:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

I think this will be tighter than the odds suggest.
Dunloy have taken a couple of semi final scalps in recent years.
While they then let themselves down in Croke Park, they are still one of the top club teams around.

Birr have often found it difficult to over Dunloy also.
In the 1995 club final, Birr were very lucky to get a draw the first day out, before winning the replay.
In 2002 in a semi final, Birr needed another rally to come from behind and win.

The current Birr side made up of young inexperienced players as well as veterans like the Whelahans and Gary Hanniffy. However they have still a bit to go to compare to the Birr side of the late 90s and early 00s.
After 2006's trimming against Ballyhale, the general feeling was that Birr were destined for a long spell in the doldrums.

So it was big surprise that they managed to win out Leinster. Birr did well to beat Ballyhale who were minus Shefflin and Cha Fitz and outsmarted Ballyboden in the Leinster final. Padjoe Whelahan seems to have the magic touch with Birr. He came back in after 2 years away and has got the team buzzing again.
However I still think Birr need to improve more in order to challenge for the All Ireland.

I'm not sure what can be read into Dunloy's draw with Ballycran in Ulster. It remains to be seen if they can put in a fired up performance that saw them ambush Mount Sion and Portumna already this decade. However it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did.

Minder

I dont think the current Dunloy team measures up to previous years, time will tell though.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Last Man

IMO as far as the players are concerned, you couldn't get a sheet of paper between the two teams, both have a very similar blend of youth, experience and natural leaders on the field. The diference will be down to management. Ould Whelehan is a wiley ould fox and the Dunloy trio will have to be a match for him to prevail. One of the 3 will have to take overall charge and make the tough decisions when they have to be made for there will be no time for a discussion come 2 o'clock on Sunday.
I really think they can do it this year as I have truly believed in previous years and it's cost me a right few quid in the bookies, but funny enough I don't begrudge a penny of it. Best of luck fellas.
Dun Lathai Abu.

AZOffaly

I believe Birr are there for the taking on Sunday, if Dunloy believe enough. Right enough Birr beat the Kilkenny Champions along the way, but apart from that game they've not been very convincing.

Of course they are a great side, with experience, and more importantly experience of WINNING, which will give them the advantage, but I suspect Dunloy will tear into them, and if they do, Birr might struggle to get the scores to stay ahead.

Silky

These matches are notoriously hard to call. Ulster counties have pulled of so called upsets in the past hand have come very close on other occasions. It's year since they met in competition and they are different teams now. Dunloy have a great chance but my head has to go with Birr. They didn't look at all convincing coming out of Leinster but they know how to win the big ones. Pity the game isn't on TV for the neutrals.

milltown row

the pitch is not made for hurling thats for sure, not sure of the weather conditions this weekend.

if Dunloy stick to their tactics, not panic, don't conceed a goal before the break or when they start to get on top, they'll do fine

the likes of dick and ally will get scores all day. Dunloy can't afford to have a man sent off (though they rarely do have men sent off)

think the game will be fast and furious the whole way to the final whistle

Silky

How many Ulster teams have won semi finals at senior level?

milltown row

rossa once, dunloy 3/4, ballycastle 1/2 , and Loughgiel have won it

not sure if thats a 100%

Glensman

Seemingly pitch (whether made for hurling or not) is not made for anything.
Was in awful condition at the weekend there.

Bit of a shame.

Can't for the life of me understand why its not at Parnell Park anyway...Clones is a pain in the whole to get to and Parnell might have seen some neutrals going to it.

slow corner back

Quote from: milltown row on February 21, 2008, 04:33:57 PM
rossa once, dunloy 3/4, ballycastle 1/2 , and Loughgiel have won it

not sure if thats a 100%

Ballycastle 1981, I think. Loughgiel 1983 won the title,Rossa 1989,Dunloy 1995,1996,2003,2004 thats seven semi final wins in 27 years about 1 in 4 average. Cushendall drew with St Josephs doorabarefield a few years back and Dunloy had a three?  game saga with a Joe Cooney inspired sarsfields around the same time. Club championship is generally very competitive and there is no reason why this year will not be the same. Best of luck to Dunloy on Sunday would love to see them go all the way.

Sky Blue

Clones is a strange venue. Parnell Pk or even Navan or Newry would have been grand. You have to say that club hurling is hard to call. Its always been so. I always support the underdog and I'll not change now - Birr to win by 3 points.

slow corner back

I read in todays irish news that Malachy Molloy is not fit to start on sunday, a bad blow for Dunloy because I would expect the puck outs to be dropping on big Hannifys head. Malachys size would have been useful against that.

AZOffaly

I wouldn't worry too much about Gary Hanniffy in the air. He is the 'smallest' big man I know. I don't mean that in a nasty way, regarding his courage or anything like that,  but he never dominates in the air the way he should. Too often there's a lonely hurl being waved around above his head, or more often, above the head of the wing back or centre back out jumping him from in front. His timing is very bad for a man his size.

slow corner back

Is that reverse psychology AZ meant to wind Hannify up and get him dominating on Sunday?

AZOffaly

We've tried forward, reverse and sideways psychology on Gary, and he is still hit and miss. At times he can dominate alright, but they are very few and far between. Normally he has you tearing your hair out as a 5' 8'' wing back wins the ball by timing his jump better.

And then he must be the most hooked ball striker I've ever seen. His size mitigates his ability to get the ball away, because it takes him too long to swing the hurley around, and he rarely shortens the grip.

He'll try like a divil, and he will do some good things, especially if he has space, but the brother Rory is a much more natural hurler.