Fermanagh v Limerick off

Started by FermGael, February 17, 2008, 01:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

game is off due to bad fog.2nd year in a row that this fixture is off due to fog.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Zulu

That's a disgrace, is there no pitch in Fermanagh that could have held the game? The CB up there need to have a good look at themselves, alternative pitches should be arranged in the event something making the primary pitch unpalyable.

FermPundit

Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2008, 03:14:02 PM
That's a disgrace, is there no pitch in Fermanagh that could have held the game? The CB up there need to have a good look at themselves, alternative pitches should be arranged in the event something making the primary pitch unpalyable.

With respect I think you're being a little harsh here. The pitch itself in Lisnaskea was playable but the dense fog in the area meant there was no way the match could have gone ahead. Fermanagh's back up ground is in Tempo and it also was affected by bad fog so the county board had no other alternatives. I have a lot of sympathy for the Limerick supporters who made the long trip up but unfortunately the only thing that can be blamed today is the weather!! As I look outside the fog was got even worse so the decision to postpone the game appears to have been the right one.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Zulu

QuoteWith respect I think you're being a little harsh here.

Maybe so FermPundit, but was there no pitch in Fermanagh that couldn't have held the game? Not only is this a major inconvinence for the Limerick team and supporters but it will cost the CB a fair bit to travel up again at some point in the future. It could also have a knock on effect for club games in both county's, if there wasn't any pitch suitable to hold the game then I suppose that is fair enough, but surely that wasn't the case, wasit?

FermPundit

Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2008, 04:51:53 PM

Maybe so FermPundit, but was there no pitch in Fermanagh that couldn't have held the game? Not only is this a major inconvinence for the Limerick team and supporters but it will cost the CB a fair bit to travel up again at some point in the future. It could also have a knock on effect for club games in both county's, if there wasn't any pitch suitable to hold the game then I suppose that is fair enough, but surely that wasn't the case, wasit?

Whilst I understand your frustration finding an alternative venue for a NFL game isn't as simple as you make out. Due to many restrictions such as health and safety regulations all inter county grounds now need to pass inspection by Croke Park officals. Fermanagh's main ground, Brewster Park in Enniskillen has been under going redevelopment work for the last 2 years. As a result of this last season Fermanagh were forced to play all "home" grounds outside of the county because no other venue was deemed suitable to host inter county games. To overcome this the county board has worked hard over the last few months to try and bring the grounds in Lisnaskea and Tempo up to the required standard. Only 2 weeks ago Fermanagh's game against Leitrim was also postponed because of the weather. Postponements of games is always frustrating for fans, especially for those who have travelled long distances but given the changeable weather we get in this country sometimes all you can do is blame bad luck!   
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

fearnoone

Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2008, 04:51:53 PM

The whole county was under dense fog! If Croke Park was bang in the middle Enniskillen the game could still not have been played!
But the county board up here did make a real diaster of things last year when we had no pitch that Croke Park would pass as safe enough to host a NFL game.

Maguire01

Clones was fog-free and already open for a hurling game - surely there was potential to double-up, with Lisnaskea only 10 miles away, it wouldn't have been a major inconvenience.  It also leaves Fermanagh having to slot in 2 games somewhere which probably means 3 weeks in a row on at least one occasion.  Not ideal for Fermanagh.

Fermanaghandsam

Fermanagh was completly under thick fog all day, so no way could the game have been played. There is nothing that could have been done.

If the match had been called off because of an unplayebale pitch due to rain, yes the match could have been moved somewhere like clones, as this would have been known early in the morning. But with the unpredictabablity of fog, the decision to call the game off could only be made late on and at that stage it was much too late too move grounds, even if 1 was available (none were within fermanagh)

But Limerick should look at the positives, at least they get to visit the beautiful lakeland county again  ;D

BigJohnBrowne

Fermanaghandsam,  I cannot help but notice how you've changed your tune when it suits you.   A short few weeks ago a referee declared a pitch unplayable and you were going ballistic on this site on a particular thread making scathing remarks about others - now when another act of god (and don't even try and differentiate between fog and rain) causes a game to be called off you pass if off and attempt humor on a situation while another team and supporters travel almost the length of the country.  - Lovely scenery etc - how condescending your comment appears.  And by the way the rained off game was playable at 4pm on the day before and Croke park were informed of such -  as it was at 10am on the morning of the game - the ref & umpires arrived VERY late and when they went on the field took an exception to a few cut up areas of the field that had surface water holding due to persistant rain & sleet from previous 4 hours - switching venues not an option at that ridiculously late call.

- when you're in bad mood at least direct your ire at the correct direction.

What goes around - comes around.

ziggysego

Have Fermanagh played yet this year?
Testing Accessibility

donelli

Quote from: ziggysego on February 18, 2008, 12:15:26 PM
Have Fermanagh played yet this year?

No, and they didnt play much last year either  ;D

ExiledGael

The Fermanagh hurlers managed to stage their home game yesterday, and won again. That was just ten odd miles away in Ballyconnell I think. Not good enough planning from the county boards on this. The exact same thing happened last year/year before in Clones, weather's weather but you can have contingency plans in place. It's damaging to our games, and our chances of promotion/avoiding relegation.

As well as that thought it's a disgrace that the match was not a double header with the hurling game against Cavan. Would have helped open up the game to many youngsters who have never seen the game live. Growing up in Fermanagh I attended countless games, never ever did I see a hurling game until I made my way to Munster one year just for that.
Just thrown off to the corner of the county to get the game out of the way.

fearnoone

Quote from: ExiledGael on February 18, 2008, 04:34:57 PM
The Fermanagh hurlers managed to stage their home game yesterday, and won again. That was just ten odd miles away in Ballyconnell I think. Not good enough planning from the county boards on this. The exact same thing happened last year/year before in Clones, weather's weather but you can have contingency plans in place. It's damaging to our games, and our chances of promotion/avoiding relegation.

As well as that thought it's a disgrace that the match was not a double header with the hurling game against Cavan. Would have helped open up the game to many youngsters who have never seen the game live. Growing up in Fermanagh I attended countless games, never ever did I see a hurling game until I made my way to Munster one year just for that.
Just thrown off to the corner of the county to get the game out of the way.

Was the Fermanagh hulring game not an away fixture against Cavan? How could this have been a double header with the football if this was the case?
And as far as I know the county can only put forward three grounds as proposed county grounds to Croke Park each year. Now, I am not sure about this but one is def Lisnaskea while I presume another is Brewster Park, which will be re-opening by the end of the league. Is the other Tempo? I'm not sure but what I'm saying is that there was prob no other venue within the county that was fog free and that has been given the rubber stamp by Croke Park.

You are right though - the same thing happened last year against Limerick and as you say that was at Clones - now last year the county board did make a dogs dinner of the whole thing with the result that every home tie we had in league, championship and qualifier was played outside the county despite them knowing for seven months or more that Brewster Park would be out of commission.

Fermanaghandsam

Quote from: BigJohnBrowne on February 18, 2008, 12:02:26 PM
Fermanaghandsam,  I cannot help but notice how you've changed your tune when it suits you.   A short few weeks ago a referee declared a pitch unplayable and you were going ballistic on this site on a particular thread making scathing remarks about others - now when another act of god (and don't even try and differentiate between fog and rain) causes a game to be called off you pass if off and attempt humor on a situation while another team and supporters travel almost the length of the country.  - Lovely scenery etc - how condescending your comment appears.  And by the way the rained off game was playable at 4pm on the day before and Croke park were informed of such -  as it was at 10am on the morning of the game - the ref & umpires arrived VERY late and when they went on the field took an exception to a few cut up areas of the field that had surface water holding due to persistant rain & sleet from previous 4 hours - switching venues not an option at that ridiculously late call.

- when you're in bad mood at least direct your ire at the correct direction.

What goes around - comes around.

There is a big difference betwen fog and rain. I was in Carrick the morning of the game, and it did not rain from 10 that morning. My point was, why have supporters standing outside the ground at 2 o'clock when the pitch was in the exact same state as it was at 10 that morning. Why was the game not called off earlier. There should have being some system in place where as the referee would be connected to come earlier or for a more local ref to check the pitch much earlier than half an hour before the game. This was not Leitrim's fault, it was a fault in the system.

In the case of fog, nobody knows when it will lift. the weather forecasts suggested that the fog would be gone by lunchtime, hence the Fermanagh CB/Ref left it to 1 to make a decision (which could be made no earlier due to the unpredictability of fog). The alternative venue was Tempo, however this was also unplayable due to fog. What else could fermanagh have done?? Would you have preferred for Fermanagh to call the game off at 11, and then maybe realise the game was actualy playable at half 2?

I would not have wanted Fermanagh to go to Clones to be honest, as last year we played all our games outside the county, and that resulted in us losing all our league games.

I understand, this was really tough on the Limerick supporters and team, and alot of time and money was wasted, but I can assure you, Fermangh wanted the game played as much as anyone. There is little more annoying than travelling half the country for no reason, but in this case, I feel nothing else could have been done!

Double Cross

Strange name for a Fermangh poster, Fermanaghandsam. I thought the only Sam in Fermanagh was Sam Foster of the UUP  ;)