Robson 'relieved of his duties'

Started by Square Ball, February 14, 2008, 02:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Quote from: J70 on February 14, 2008, 02:36:16 PM
Quote from: SammyG on February 14, 2008, 02:21:37 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2008, 02:18:54 PMSnap, although I'd not have included Dalglish on that in fairness. I know he did the double at Liverpool, and won the league with Blackburn, but after that his stints at Newcastle and Celtic were fairly poor. As Dunphy would say, I think he's a good manager, not a great manager.
Probably the greatest player, I ever saw in the flesh but his management record was more down to the squad he inherited (Liverpool) or loads of money (Blackburn) than any great managerial ability.

He built one the best ever Liverpool teams in the late 80s, starting out while he still a player. Had they not been out of Europe they would have easily have won another one or two European Cups back then. In 5 1/2 years he won three leagues and two FA cups. Yes, he lost something after Hillsborough and was responsible for the beginning of Liverpool's slump, but how many managers could've lasted through something like that? And money alone is not the answer, or are you saying that it was inevitable that Blackburn would have won that championship, that any average manager could've done it? He was a top manager for me, no question.

I don't know whether or not Kenny was a great manager (definitely a great great player) but I think his time at Newcastle is much maligned. I could be wrong but did he not take over over half way into a season, and then was shown the door two games into the next?

Fabio Capello, as mentioned earlier, must be the best example of a guy who could play ball, and then went on to be a great manager.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Star Spangler

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 14, 2008, 02:20:14 PM
I hear the young Trapatoni was pretty nifty back in his day.

To early for most to remember though.

Trap is one of only three men who've won the European Cup as both a player and a manager.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Mentalman on February 14, 2008, 02:47:52 PM
I don't know whether or not Kenny was a great manager (definitely a great great player) but I think his time at Newcastle is much maligned. I could be wrong but did he not take over over half way into a season, and then was shown the door two games into the next?
In the over all scheme Dalglish wasn't the worst Newcastle manager. However he played more conservative football and put greater emphasis on defence, which didn't go down well in the post-Keegan days.

brokencrossbar1

Martin O'Neill was a handy enough player and has made the transition to management pretty well.  We can't forget the legendary Stan "the Man" Staunton.

Robson is crap and comes across as an idiot who really does not understand the intracacies of the game.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 14, 2008, 04:56:33 PM
Martin O'Neill was a handy enough player and has made the transition to management pretty well.  We can't forget the legendary Stan "the Man" Staunton.

Robson is crap and comes across as an idiot who really does not understand the intracacies of the game.
but I bet his spelling is better than yours !
(and mine come to think of it)  :D

brokencrossbar1

Rav67

Dalglish did an excellent job at Liverpool and Blackburn and Newcastle initially (steered them into 2nd in the league and Champions League football and reached the FA Cup final), but it shows you how hard it is to continue being a top manager for a long period as football changes and new managerial skills are required.  In the 80s the likes of Howard Kendall and Terry Venables did excellent jobs, but even by the turn of the century no decent team would have thought about putting them in charge. 

Slightly off topic, but that's the slight worry I would have about Trapattoni, he might be past it as most of his great successes came in the 80s.  The one manager I can think of who has stayed at the top of his profession for over 20 years would be Alex Ferguson.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Star Spangler on February 14, 2008, 02:49:34 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on February 14, 2008, 02:20:14 PM
I hear the young Trapatoni was pretty nifty back in his day.

To early for most to remember though.

Trap is one of only three men who've won the European Cup as both a player and a manager.

Who were the other two SS? Is Del Bosque  of Madrid One ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

brokencrossbar1

There were 5 according to Wiki

Frank Rikjaard, Miguel Muñoz, Giovanni Trapattoni, Johan Cruyff, and Carlo Ancelotti.

red hander

Alex Ferguson was a player ... he didn't do too bad.

I saw Brian Robson playing, and he was magnificent.  Shit manager, though.  As someone who stood on the terraces of Bramall Lane for three years, I'm happy with the decision

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2008, 02:18:54 PMSnap, although I'd not have included Dalglish on that in fairness. I know he did the double at Liverpool, and won the league with Blackburn, but after that his stints at Newcastle and Celtic were fairly poor. As Dunphy would say, I think he's a good manager, not a great manager.
Probably the greatest player, I ever saw in the flesh but his management record was more down to the squad he inherited (Liverpool) or loads of money (Blackburn) than any great managerial ability.

He built one the best ever Liverpool teams in the late 80s, starting out while he still a player. Had they not been out of Europe they would have easily have won another one or two European Cups back then. In 5 1/2 years he won three leagues and two FA cups. Yes, he lost something after Hillsborough and was responsible for the beginning of Liverpool's slump, but how many managers could've lasted through something like that? And money alone is not the answer, or are you saying that it was inevitable that Blackburn would have won that championship, that any average manager could've done it? He was a top manager for me, no question.

Would fully agree with J70
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Chrisowc

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 14, 2008, 06:55:02 PM

Dalglish sold Ian Rush and with the same money bought Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Chrisowc on February 14, 2008, 07:05:52 PM

Dalglish sold Ian Rush and with the same money bought Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge.

A great bit of business it was too...
Don't think Rush should have came back though,Aldridge was a better player imho and it was a pity he only lasted a couple of seasons at Anfield
You'll Never Walk Alone.

red hander

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 14, 2008, 07:08:53 PM

Don't think Rush should have came back though,Aldridge was a better player imho and it was a pity he only lasted a couple of seasons at Anfield

Aldridge didn't want to leave Anfield if I remember, the club wanted to sell him.  Think he was the first non-Basque to play for Real Sociedad

Owenmoresider

Quote from: red hander on February 14, 2008, 07:12:43 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 14, 2008, 07:08:53 PM

Aldridge didn't want to leave Anfield if I remember, the club wanted to sell him.  Think he was the first non-Basque to play for Real Sociedad
Interesting that. Do Bilbao still apply the Basques-only policy? Kudos to them if so.