Jim Rodgers on Radio Ulster this morning

Started by Abble, February 13, 2008, 08:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

Good enough for him.  Even tho he is director of Glentoran, he couldn't even get enough votes to become a MLA in the heart of the shankill.

A bitter bollox

Evil Genius

Quote from: Seany on February 13, 2008, 03:35:55 PM
Good enough for him.  Even tho he is director of Glentoran, he couldn't even get enough votes to become a MLA in the heart of the shankill.

A bitter bollox

Rogers stood unsuccessfully for election in East Belfast. The Shankill is on the other side of the city. Had he stood in the Shankill, I daresay he'd have got even fewer votes, since it is staunch Linfield territory. (Linfield and Glentoran are rivals, btw)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Solomon Kane

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2008, 02:12:28 PM
I'm sure it had to be a slip of the tongue. How could anyone say, or privately think, that wheelchair users were not human beings. This smacks of 'political' opportunism to take it to any level other than, 'jaysus, what an eejit to say that'.

It couldn't be anything more than a slip of the tongue, or is anyone here going to argue that all disabled people are nationalists and republicans?

ziggysego

Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 13, 2008, 04:36:50 PM
is anyone here going to argue that all disabled people are nationalists and republicans?

Jeezs, no-one said that  :o
Testing Accessibility

Solomon Kane

Quote from: ziggysego on February 13, 2008, 04:37:44 PM
Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 13, 2008, 04:36:50 PM
is anyone here going to argue that all disabled people are nationalists and republicans?

Jeezs, no-one said that  :o

I'm not arguing that at all, but there is no political gain in what Rodgers said for anyone, least of all himself but AZ Offally rightly pointed out that this was political opportunism for others to jump on him for it. I have no time for the man but I don't see what he came out with as anything other than clumsiness.

AZOffaly

To all ye unionist nordies, Offaly is spelt O-f-f-a-l-y. One 'L'.

thank you

;D

Solomon Kane

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2008, 04:47:57 PM
To all ye unionist nordies, Offaly is spelt O-f-f-a-l-y. One 'L'.

thank you

;D

My apologies :) I'm just a Nordie by the way, but apparently not incapable of a slip of the tongue (sorry keyboard) myself.

ziggysego

Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 13, 2008, 04:46:57 PM
I'm not arguing that at all, but there is no political gain in what Rodgers said for anyone, least of all himself but AZ Offally rightly pointed out that this was political opportunism for others to jump on him for it. I have no time for the man but I don't see what he came out with as anything other than clumsiness.

Getcha.

I wasn't taking political opportunism from this. I just think that a high publicity member of a party in the North should choose his words more carefully.

First he disables someone, and now he thinks we're a sub-species.... dear oh.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

No bother Solomon. It's not just unionists, or nordies come to that, who mis-spell Offaly :D

QuoteFirst he disables someone

What did he do ziggy? How do you mean he 'disabled' someone?

Solomon Kane

Quote from: ziggysego on February 13, 2008, 04:54:52 PM
Quote from: Solomon Kane on February 13, 2008, 04:46:57 PM

Getcha.

I wasn't taking political opportunism from this. I just think that a high publicity member of a party in the North should choose his words more carefully.

I forgot about that poor woman he leap-frogged. That says it all really about the man. More than a bit clumsy.
First he disables someone, and now he thinks we're a sub-species.... dear oh.

Puckoon

I misspell Ofally requently. I try not to but it just happens.

his holiness nb

Or maybe in his speak he "dehumanised" someone  ;)

It must be a slip of the tongue, surely!

Or then again quite often slips of the tongue are based on secret beliefs that should never be aired in public.

There wasnt much sympathy for the girl in Big Brother who said "nigger" then claimed it was a slip of the tongue and she wasnt racist.
Ask me holy bollix

take_yer_points

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 13, 2008, 05:05:04 PM

Or then again quite often slips of the tongue are based on secret beliefs that should never be aired in public.

There wasnt much sympathy for the girl in Big Brother who said "nigger" then claimed it was a slip of the tongue and she wasnt racist.

Maybe on a different scale here but there was no sympathy for Glen Hoddle or Ron Atkinson after the things that they said.

The guy is a public figure and "slip of the tongue" for something like this isn't just a small thing.

The Watcher Pat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/noscript.shtml?
/radio/aod/ulster_aod.shtml?ulster/gmu_wed

Think this is the link for it here..Was about 8 o clock or so as far as i can remember..
You can judge for yourself then.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Solomon Kane

Quote from: take_yer_points on February 13, 2008, 05:22:15 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on February 13, 2008, 05:05:04 PM

Maybe on a different scale here but there was no sympathy for Glen Hoddle or Ron Atkinson after the things that they said.

The guy is a public figure and "slip of the tongue" for something like this isn't just a small thing.

Glen Hoddle is a class apart there. Atkinson's comments were likely just ignorance from a bygone age, but wrong none the less. Hoddle should never have been allowed to work in football again. The man is a disgrace.