Mayo v Donegal NFL Thread

Started by Farrandeelin, February 11, 2008, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

It is a big game for both teams, Mayo will want to win at home, wile Donegal will want to follow on with another win. Hopefully Mayo's need will be greater as we need to win our home games (we only have 3). It will be interesting to see the team Johnno picks again. Will he leave Padden at fullback? I think it's unlikely but you never know. What Donegal team will turn up? The one that won the league last year, or the team that lost their way late on last year. I'm thinking it will be a tough match for Mayo but home advantage could swing it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Legend92

donegal will again be without influential players like dunnion, devenney, kavanagh, hegarty, swenney, etc but have enough good young talent to take the game to mayo! donegal are aiming for an ulster title this year and some of  the senior players would seem to be waiting till the summer to return!

mayo51

should be a good game and i think j.om will leave padden at fullback as by most reports  he done a decent job on p. bradly in the first game.i would like to see players like aiden kilcoyne,aiden cambell,chris barret and tom cunniffe given a prolonged run on the team.by the way what happened to david killcullen,is he still on the panel?he is an excellent footballer but is probably more suited to a wing position.

J70

Any word on Leon Thompson? We could use a speedy little corner-forward, particularly if he's matured a little in terms of decision-making and scoring (remember how he took the Cork corner-back to the cleaners in the '06 quarter-final, but couldn't finish off his great work in terms of putting the ball over the bar?). As far as I remember, he was going well enough in the league last year before he did his knee, so hopefully he'll be back good as new. We could certainly use the option up front.

As for Sunday's match, these games have been very tight over the past few seasons. I expect it will be the same this weekend, although I will be surprised if we win.

I'm not overly bothered to be missing the likes of Devenney, Sweeney and Hegarty but Dunnion is a loss. Its a chance for Frank McGlynn to nail down a spot though.

Terry Tate

Quotei think j.om will leave padden at fullback as by most reports  he done a decent job on p. bradly in the first game

Eh.. I don't know about that. I was at the Derry game and I (along with others) thought Bradley cleaned him. Bradley didn't score from play but he won an awful lot of ball. He is to slow for that position for a start but O'Mahony will probably stick with him. If he doesn't then Heaney should start there.

Barney

Great to see everyone so excited about the return of top-class action to Castlebar.

This is one Mayo must win if we are to avoid relegation. Really a tough list of fixtures to deal with and the next three games are crucial.

I except BJP to be full-back if fit. JOM has shown last year that if he is trying something out he will give it a fair chance to succeed.

Hopefully Tom Cunniffe comes in at corner-back. Would like to see Parsons or Barry Moran have a go at midfield, and Kilcoyne is worth a place up front. Cannot see more than two or three changes though.

Again for me attitude will be crucial. Our inaccuracy of the last few games needs to be improved. And since its my first game of the season I hope to be pleasantly suprised to see a well structured Defence.

rosnarun

looks like mayo's problems are solved

FLYING THE FLAG Kevin O'Neill and Mayo manager John O'Mahony are pictured at the launch of the Club Mayo-Dublin supporters group at the Garda Club last week.

was any one at it?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Barney

Have not heard much about the Club-Mayo Dublin but did see the website last week which gives the impression that this is a serious operation.

So long as the funds are used for the teams it should work out well.

J70

So much for the latest midfield partnership...

QuoteHolders Donegal have suffered another setback with news that Ciaran Bonner will be sidelined for at least one NFL match.

The Glenswilly man limped out of the first-round victory over Kerry last weekend and misses Sunday's trip to Castlebar to face Mayo in a repeat of last year's final. He is unlikely to return in time for the third-round meeting with Kildare.

Bonner's injury comes as a big blow to manager Brian McIver, who is already making do without the likes of Brendan Devenney, Barry Dunnion, Rory Kavanagh, Leon Thompson and Michael Murphy.

The good news is that Michael Hegarty is back in the squad, although Sunday's game will come too soon for him.

Barry Monaghan didn't play the last day, so maybe he'll be thrown in to partner Gallagher this week, although I expect he'll move into centre-back, pushing Eamon McGee right and Cassidy into midfield. Or maybe McIver will give Kevin Rafferty his first league start in five or six years, leaving Cassidy where he is. Whatever he does, we're not spoilt for choice in terms of specialized midfielders.

muscles magoo

Mayo Team for Sunday

1. Shane Nallen
2. Tom Cunniffe
3. Billy Joe Padden
4. Liam O'Malley
5. Chris Barrett
6. Trevor Howley
7. Keith Higgins
8. Seamus O'Shea
9. Peadar Gardiner
10. James Gill
11. Alan Dillon
12. Michael Mullins
13. Conor Mortimer
14. Austin O'Malley
15. Andy Moran

Barney

Great to see the radical and promised expermentation continue  :-\

Austin O'Malley is the future.

OakLeaf

Is there anyone going to the Mayo / Donegal match that would be willing to text updates to the Live Scores service on GAA Radio?  The number to send your texts to is 447624804328. The service is free for everyone to view at http://www.gaaradio.com/scores/liveScores.jsp . Thanks.

ildanach

Is trevor mortimer back this week ?
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

rosnarun

very difficult to work out o mahoneys the managements view of barry moran last game last year he was put at full forward and did as well as any mayo player on tthe day but doesn't seem to be getting a look in this year at all.
Big a fan as i am of peader  i dont see him playing midfield for the championship and small a fan as i am i dont see AOM Full forward than either.
while i accept barry need a lot of development before he reaches his true potential surely it against weaker teams like donegal he need to get game time in either of these positions. he has huge potential and so far has loooked  like a player that has no fear of the big day . is there an injury  or any thing im not aware of?

I think Trevor is back on the squad
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

FL/MAYO

Quote from: rosnarun on February 14, 2008, 12:03:47 PM
very difficult to work out o mahoneys the managements view of barry moran last game last year he was put at full forward and did as well as any mayo player on tthe day but doesn't seem to be getting a look in this year at all.
Big a fan as i am of peader  i dont see him playing midfield for the championship and small a fan as i am i dont see AOM Full forward than either.
while i accept barry need a lot of development before he reaches his true potential surely it against weaker teams like donegal he need to get game time in either of these positions. he has huge potential and so far has loooked  like a player that has no fear of the big day . is there an injury  or any thing im not aware of?

I think Trevor is back on the squad

I would not consider Donegal a weaker team especially when you compare them to Mayo. In my opinion Donegal has alot of potiental but for some reason they lose the plot at least once a year, if they can keep it together they have a good chance of winning at least an Ulster this year and add it to the NFL they won last year when they beat that other weaker county  ;) ;).