Flat screen tv need to buy - help!

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, February 10, 2008, 01:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Lads and lasses, going to buy a flat screen tv, 32" or 37" was wondering if anyone out there knew of any places to purchase said item?
Obviously am looking for somewhere that does a fantastic deal (ie: cheap as fcuk! ;))
Also which is the best brand, looking middle of the road, good picture and sound quality.
Finally would it be worth getting speakers (home cinema?) if yes where is a good cheap spot?

Thanks in advance.
Tbc....

The Real Laoislad

I have a Sony Bravia and i love it..Its not HD though
The parents got a HD Sony Bravia 37" a few weeks ago in one of the Sony Centre stores..I think they payed €1000 and they got a free stand with it aswell
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thejuice

I got mine at Argos, a 28" screen, HD, Wharfdale brand, under £300, a good TV, not as sharp as Samsung, which are probably the best HDTVs.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tyrones own

How much of the programming is actually being broadcast in HD in Ireland?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tyrones own on February 10, 2008, 03:07:32 PM

How much of the programming is actually being broadcast in HD in Ireland?

According to a Matt Cooper show that i heard on today fm recently only 23,000 homes in the Republic of Ireland have Sky HD
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tyrones own

QuoteAccording to a Matt Cooper show that i heard on today fm recently only 23,000 homes in the Republic of Ireland have Sky HD

:o 
     Wonder how many HD t.v's have been sold :-\
  - Walter Lippmann

Dubh driocht

Richer sounds in Smithfield,Belfast will give you good advice as they actually understand their products.Try their website and shop around for price comparisons. I would go with the Sony also - however, none of the Flat Screens have great sound (literally not enough depth) and you should consider a home cinema system.Again try the sites - mind you, they can do a lot more than give you VG sound- also, an excellent CD/DVD/Receiver system for less than £150 in some cases - I got a Sony Home Cinema system which looks and sounds great for £150 (inc.delivery) from Amazon.Don't know if you are still in Gaoth Dobhair or in OWC- not sure if Amazon deliver to the former.

SammyG

Quote from: Tyrones own on February 10, 2008, 03:28:03 PM

QuoteAccording to a Matt Cooper show that i heard on today fm recently only 23,000 homes in the Republic of Ireland have Sky HD

You don't need SKY HD to have an HD tv, you could be using a games console or a home cinema setup or a pc connection. And you can still watch 'ordinary' sources on an HD tv.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: SammyG on February 10, 2008, 04:10:13 PM

You don't need SKY HD to have an HD tv, you could be using a games console or a home cinema setup or a pc connection. And you can still watch 'ordinary' sources on an HD tv.

Thanks for telling us that, we would never have known otherwise  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thejuice

if you have a PS3 or X-Box a nice big HDTV is great. Graphics that look more real then life itself.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

SammyG

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 10, 2008, 04:13:18 PM
Quote from: SammyG on February 10, 2008, 04:10:13 PM

Thanks for telling us that, we would never have known otherwise  ::)

No idea why you're being sarky. I posted a reply to TO's post.

new devil

I have a 42" Samsung plasma HD TV it cost about 1500 dollars (£750)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: new devil on February 10, 2008, 04:22:48 PM
I have a 42" Samsung plasma HD TV it cost about 1500 dollars (£750)

Compensating for something?  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

new devil

No just like watching united beat liverpool on a big TV  ;)

Tyrones own

QuoteNo idea why you're being sarky. I posted a reply to TO's post.

Point being Sammy that to go buy a HD TV and not have the required signal to view
  anything on Hi Def is a bit like buying a Ferrari and never taking it out of 2nd gear IMO
  About the TV, i would recommend going with plasma over the LCD, i got myself a 42"
  LCD over Christmas and honestly if i was doing it again, I'd go Plasma.
  - Walter Lippmann