The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Passing_Interest

Given recent negative responses to your postings about sub-committees and about funerals, here's a wee word of advice Wanderer.

There's a Preview button on the Post Reply screen.
It might be a good idea to use it to double check comments before posting.
Have a look at what you are about to post and ask yourself
- is it interesting ?
- is it of any importance to anything or anyone ?
- is it of any relevance ?
- is it adding any value to the thread ?

Otherwise you end up pissing people off and getting pissed off yourself in turn.

Nothing but the same old story.........

thewanderer

Passing didnt think everyone would get so hot and bothered about a simple question which i thought would be relevant to harps people as to WHY. Dont think its too demeaning to ask! I think the answer to the preview is that obviously it is of interest when a number of harps people asked the question. but thats the end of IT

BerfArmagh

Jesus would you lads wise the F*&k up and take your little agendas & personal gripes elsewhere

Back to football. Best of luck to Benny & Bronco this year, I'd take another final appearance!! Promotion is a must, if we want to bring on the excellent minors we have had the last few years. If it happens a realistic stab at winning a county title is possible in the next 3 years

Passing_Interest

A Championship run is nice for all involved in the Club but this season I think Bronco and Benny will be judged on how they deal with the following conundrums:
Promotion - crucial and will determine if the season is viewed as a success or not.
Peader Toal - needs to play more than a handful of games and to contribute more on and off the field;
Boys studying / working away from home - how does the team get best out of these lads ?
Deccie McKenna - how best to use him and integrate him and 2 or 3 others from the Minors
Declan Coulter - great athlete but needs to play more football now

We should be optimistic. On our day we are one of the better teams in the County.
Best of luck lads.

Nothing but the same old story.........

stew

Quote from: Passing_Interest on January 08, 2010, 02:02:31 PM
A Championship run is nice for all involved in the Club but this season I think Bronco and Benny will be judged on how they deal with the following conundrums:
Promotion - crucial and will determine if the season is viewed as a success or not.
Peader Toal - needs to play more than a handful of games and to contribute more on and off the field;
Boys studying / working away from home - how does the team get best out of these lads ?
Deccie McKenna - how best to use him and integrate him and 2 or 3 others from the Minors
Declan Coulter - great athlete but needs to play more football now

We should be optimistic. On our day we are one of the better teams in the County.
Best of luck lads.

Promotion: Spot on, no excuses on that score and we should go up.

peadar toal: Time to shit or get off the pot, if his interest wanes kick his arse to the kerb and move on.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

This Friday night - 15th January - is a big night for the Club.

Our Minor team are being honoured with a Civic Reception in the Palace Demesne at 7.00 pm, to mark their achievement in winning the 2009 Armagh Minor Championship. The reception is being hosted by the Mayor of Armagh, Thomas O'Hanlon.

Following the reception, there will be a Presentation evening taking place in the Social Club, with proceedings commencing at 9.00 pm.

A disco will follow the various presentations, and a buffet will also be served.

In addition to cups won by our Minor team this year, the Tom Markham Cup will also be on display. Armagh Minor manager Paul McShane will be among the guests.

An invite is extended to all Harps members and their friends to come along to the Social Club.

RealSpiritof98

I wonder if the bye in the senior c'ship will benefit us in any way, i probably would have liked to see us facing a lower ranked div 1 opponent to get things going, we are going to be playing Div 2 all year plus are 2nd round opponents will have the experience of a c'ship game under their belt. I suppose you  cant really judge until later on in the year but we'll take it.

thewanderer

Spirit your correct there, I think its better to see action in the first round as it gives you a high intensity game under your belt which your round 2 opponents will have when the next game comes up.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on January 14, 2010, 09:13:14 AM
I wonder if the bye in the senior c'ship will benefit us in any way, i probably would have liked to see us facing a lower ranked div 1 opponent to get things going, we are going to be playing Div 2 all year plus are 2nd round opponents will have the experience of a c'ship game under their belt. I suppose you  cant really judge until later on in the year but we'll take it.

Funny, this is a conversation that I have already had with a couple of people. We've had some tough opening round draws in recent years, so to get a bye appears to be a plus at first glance. However, if the Championship is run off over a relatively short period, then there is a danger that we will be at a disadvantage against a team with a recent Championship victory under their belt. Still, probably better to get a bye than a tough draw!

Many years ago, when I used to play, there were seventeen teams in the Senior Champinship, with a preliminary round match to be played. I wonder is the drop in numbers down to the dominance of Rangers over the years?     

Rufus T Firefly

All Harps Ultras (including umgola  :)) please note that 2010 membership is now due. 

As normal, fees can be paid to any member of the Committee or to Sean Powell at the Club. 

sitdown

Heard there was a great turnout of "sharks" i mean players  :P at Fridays poker night.
Someone has said that even the ex baker made a name for himself, and made some lovely tea & buns. ;)
Keep up the good work lads, Good to see everyone enjoying themselves.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: sitdown on January 25, 2010, 07:03:03 PM
Heard there was a great turnout of "sharks" i mean players  :P at Fridays poker night.
Someone has said that even the ex baker made a name for himself, and made some lovely tea & buns. ;)
Keep up the good work lads, Good to see everyone enjoying themselves.

Agree, good nights craic and got a few pound too, suprised rufus wasn't waiting in the wing with hand out, plenty of boys not happy with pros like Paul 'devilfish' McKenna being allowed to enter ;)

Rufus T Firefly

Just a note to advise that there will be a Youth Registration Night, in the Social Club, next Wednesday night, 10th February, from 7.00 pm - 9.00 pm.

Please pass these details on.   

RealSpiritof98

How young are we going to now rufus, my wee lad has just turned 4 and is starting the indoor hurling next week. Do we facilitate this age

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on February 02, 2010, 11:58:56 PM
How young are we going to now rufus, my wee lad has just turned 4 and is starting the indoor hurling next week. Do we facilitate this age

I think he should be alright Spirit - could go for the Under 6s.

I'll mention to James C. and let you know.