The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarface

Why talk about football when we can talk about the antics of a local pisshead.... ::)

fcuksake

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Yes I Would

Quite enjoying these stories of this Gadaffi character!! Has makings of a good sitcom!!
Keep em coming lads!

illdecide

Lads i was told a stat last night that i wasn't sure off. Is it true the Clans haven't beaten the Harps in 5 years? if so its not looking good for Sunday
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Candyman

Not sure myself but we drew with you's in Lurgan last year 0-12 0-12 and beat you's 1-10 0-11 in Abbey Park in the 2nd game.

illdecide

Quote from: Candyman on April 24, 2008, 09:48:23 AM
Not sure myself but we drew with you's in Lurgan last year 0-12 0-12 and beat you's 1-10 0-11 in Abbey Park in the 2nd game.

Tell me about it Candyman i played in both those matches. We started of well in Abbey Park but the last 15-20 mins of the match you's came good or we went bad whatever way you want to take it...both teams have not got off to the greatest of starts so sundays match is very important to both teams

Candyman

Will you be playing this sunday big lad???

illdecide

Quote from: Candyman on April 24, 2008, 11:40:18 AM
Will you be playing this sunday big lad???

Def not. Haven't trained from Feb (hamstring 3 times) sounds like the old 6" nail ;) :D

Candyman

Hows Mr McCaffrey playin for ye's this year??? Good solid performer....

TG4

The Harps fielded as follows. Willie McSorley, Chuckie Morris, Martin Gill, Kevin Daly (Sean Morrison 0-2), Paddy Grimes, Collie Holmes, Jungle McKee, Philly Loughran, Charlie Vernon, Nippy Swift, Minnie Holmes (Harpo McKenna), Martin McCoy, Ebby Toal, Kevin Kelly 0-4 (0-4 frees) and Gerard McDonagh.

is that the same philly loughran who plays for armagh or who is this guy?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: TG4 on April 24, 2008, 05:31:51 PM
The Harps fielded as follows. Willie McSorley, Chuckie Morris, Martin Gill, Kevin Daly (Sean Morrison 0-2), Paddy Grimes, Collie Holmes, Jungle McKee, Philly Loughran, Charlie Vernon, Nippy Swift, Minnie Holmes (Harpo McKenna), Martin McCoy, Ebby Toal, Kevin Kelly 0-4 (0-4 frees) and Gerard McDonagh.

is that the same philly loughran who plays for armagh or who is this guy?

My mistake - thanks for pointing that out - probably still thinking of the Cork game a few hours earlier!

By the way - I hear Philly Loughran is indeed looking to transfer to Dromintee.

TG4

no problem. That was why i thought it may have been him as there had been rumours that he was looking to transfer to another club and i was just wondering if he had maybe transferred to the harps.

Rufus T Firefly

Harps v Clan na Gael

Harps played their third home league fixture this afternoon at Abbey Park, and were anxious to bounce back from the disappointment of last weeks defeat to Crossmaglen Rangers.

The match was played in dry and bright conditions. Harps started off defending the dressing room goals, playing into a steady enough breeze. Harps had the first attempt on goal, but could only manage a wide from Nippy. Clans then took the lead on their first attack with a point from a free. The away side were playing with the greater purpose at this stage and they caught out Harps with their next attack, their full forward this time turning to shoot to the net from close range, with the aid of a deflection. Harps had a chance to open their account but Kevin Kelly's free came back off the post, although Nippy did manage our first score with a great point from out on the wing, after good play by Ebby. A great point from Paddy Grimes gave the Harps' support a lift, but we were lucky not to be in real trouble soon after when Willie McSorley made a point blank save at the expense of a fifty, which was sent wide. Clans though were dominating play. They had another wide before Diarmaid Marsden struck a well taken point, and a further point followed when an inrushing forward chipped Willie McSorley in a one on one situation. Kevin Kelly had another poor effort at converting a scoreable free, whilst Clans had a close wide before they opened up a five point lead with a point from a free. Harps rallied somewhat and finished the half on a promising note with a point from a Sean Morrison free.

Half time, Harps 0-03, Clan na Gael 1-04.

Harps, with the aid of the breeze, soon began to dominate play. Both sides exchanged wides early on before Kevin Kelly had a point from an angled free. Nippy followed this up with a point from a free from fifty yards, and Kevin Kelly added another with a free from thirty yards, which has to be said was in the dubious category.  This burst of scoring seemed to spark the Clans into action and they responded with two points of their own. Joe Quigley was introduced for Minnie, and his first action was to slot over a fourteen yard free after Kevin Kelly was pushed in the back whilst jumping for a high centre. The excitement around the ground began to build when Kevin Kelly pointed a massive fifty five yard free. Ultan Lennon replaced Sean Morrison in the attack and Harps eventually squared the game with Kevin Kelly's fifth point from a free, in the second half. Harps were now totally dominating play and with the sides level and time running out a victory seemed certain. However not for the first time, Harps were undone by their shooting. Kevin Kelly had a wide and Nippy followed up with a wide from an ambitious free. Joe Quigley added to the supporters' frustrations when he shot wide when put clean through against the keeper and Kevin Kelly shot our fourth wide in a row from a free. At the fifth time of asking Harps managed to take the lead – indeed for the first time in the match – with time almost up, but Clans rallied, moved the ball up the field, and benefitted from a dubious enough free which Diarmaid Marsden pointed to level the scores. The referee blew the final whistle on the kick out.

Final score, Harps 0-10, Clan a Gael 1-07.

This is without a doubt a match that Harps will look back on as a league point dropped. After a slow start, Harps went on to dominate play throughout, and but for some poor shooting, would have been out of sight at the final whistle.  Harps could claim that the referee was generous in awarding Clans a free at the death to tie the game, but they in turn could, with justification, point to a few handy frees that we won in the second half to bring us back.

The Harps lined out as follows: Willie McSorley, Neil McArdle, Martin Gill, Jungle McKee, Chuckie Morris, Charlie Vernon, Paddy Grimes 0-1, Collie Holmes, Philly McKinney, Ebby Toal, Minnie Holmes (Joe Quigley 0-1 (0-1 free)), Gerard McDonagh, Nippy Swift 0-1, Kevin Kelly 0-5 (0-5 frees) and Sean Morrison 0-1 (0-1 free)(Ultan Lennon). 

say nothin

Folks just to be aware that the Gala night on November 15th which will accommodate 640 Harps Gaels is now SOLD OUT

Congratulations to all involved which is sure to be an excellent night.

Rufus T Firefly

Mullaghbawn v Harps

Harps indifferent start to the league continued yesterday evening when they fell by a point to Mullaghbawn at the South Armagh venue. And for the second match in a row, Harps will look back at an inability to make dominance count as the reason for not taking full league points.

In perfect conditions for football, Harps started off attacking the dressing room goals, and dominated from the off. However, in what was to become a feature of the match, Harps' pressure did not yield any scores and in their first meaningful attack, Mullaghbawn went up the pitch and pointed. Kevin Kelly had a wide for Harps before a long ball into the Harps defence caught out our back line and the corner forward, in a one on one with Willie McSorley, finished easily to the net. Mullaghbawn then had their only wide of the game, when a scoreable free was sent left and Harps eventually opened their account with a brilliant Philly McKinney point from an acute angle. Paddy Morrison was unlucky to see his effort for a point hit the outside of the post and go wide, and Mullaghbawn then added to the pressure when they scored a brilliant long range point. Joe Quigley then had another great point for Harps – like Philly's effort earlier, from an acute angle. Harps at this stage introduced Nippy for Paddy Morrison in attack, but it was Mullaghbawn who continued to make the most of their chances, adding the next two points from play. Philly McKinney notched his second point after good play by Nippy and Kevin Kelly added a point from a free to give the Harps supporters hope. Mullaghbawn though scored their fifth point through their number fifteen, but as half time approached, Minnie did brilliantly to keep the ball in play on the end line, and centred for the in rushing Ebby to fist to the net.

Half time, Mullaghbawn 1-05, Harps 1-04.

The goal just before half time gave Harps a real lift, and this was carried into the second half when Philly McKinney gained possession out on the left wing and his brilliant centre was fielded by Gerard McDonagh and crashed to the net. Mullaghbawn returned to the attack but were repelled by great play by Chuckie Morris and Martin Gill. When Philly McKinney added his third point, and Charlie Vernon was introduced into our defence, a victory looked to be on the cards. Indeed, when Nippy's run was stopped by a foul, and Kevin Kelly pointed the close in free, the feeling that we were home appeared accurate. To be fair to Mullaghbawn, they responded well. Once again a long ball into our defence caught out the cover, and as the corner forward cut inside, he was taken down by a challenge from Willie McSolrey. The referee sent Willie off and Mullaghbawn tapped over the free. Gareth Richards was now in nets, with Joe Quigley coming off. Mullaghbawn added another point from a free but when Sean Morrison (in for Ebby) scored a point from a close in free, we appeared to have weathered the storm. However, possession was turned over in attack and Mullaghbawn worked the ball in to Eamon Quinn who fisted to the net from close range to give Mullaghbawn the lead as the final whistle approached. Sean Morrison hurried his shot when well placed and the ball drifted wide. However Gerard McDonagh, who was playing magnificently all over the pitch, snatched the equaliser. Mullaghbawn returned to the attack and were guilty of dropping a scoreable free short. However they kept their heads and worked the ball in to add two further points. Harps threw everything forward in a desperate attempt to salvage something, but could only manage a point from a Kevin Kelly free, as the game ended with Mullaghbawn in the attack.

Final score, Mullaghbawn 2-10, Harps 2-09.

As stated at the outset, this was a match that Harps will look back on as having been thrown away, with basic errors undermining some very good work. Best for Harps were Martin Gill in defence, Philly McKinney in midfield and Harps' man of the match Gerard McDonagh in attack who was brilliant in each third of the pitch.

The Harps lined out as follows. Willie McSorley, Neil McArdle (Charlie Vernon), Martin Gill, Jungle McKee, Chuckie Morris, Paddy Grimes, Kevin Daly, Philly McKinney 0-3, Smackers McAneney, Joe Quigley 0-1, Minnie Holmes, Gerard McDonagh 1-1, Ebby Toal 1-0 (Sean Morrison 0-1 (0-1 free)), Paddy Morrison and Kevin Kelly 0-3 (0-3 frees).