The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skiddybadoo

Agreed, Stew.  A lot of effort, time and comittment has been put in by the coaches of all the Harps' underage teams.  Hats off to them.

Good night.

sammy

don't forget that are four harps boys on the county minor team this year! :) :)

Throw ball

Went up to Abbey Park today and watcehed the match v Coalisland. Have not seen much of the Harps lately and was suprised how well they played. Although both teams had a few players shoet I always thought that the Harps looked the better team. Midfield were well on top forcing Coalisland keeper into many poor kickouts.(Curran, believe he played for Tyrone last week against Galway). Also Harps goal was from a long punt in inadvertently put into his own net by the full back. (It looked like ex Harps man Damien Jordan). Coalisland goal was a penalty given for a foot block. An enjoyable game which the Harps won 1.11 to 1.08.

Rufus T Firefly

Didn't get to see any of the matches this week-end, but a good couple of days overall!!   8)

Apologies for not putting the details of our last Ulster League game up last week - not many supporters (me included) made the long trip, and thus the details are very basic. Just adding them here for the record.

Downpatrick v Harps

Harps finished their Ulster League campaign, when they had a comfortable victory over a disappointing Downpatrick side, at Ballykinlar last Sunday.

Harps led at half time by 1-06 to 0-02 and despite making five changes in the second half, continued to dominate, and ran out twelve point winners on a 2-12 to 0-06 scoreline.

Best for Harps were Martin Gill in defence, Philip McKinney in midfield and Kevin Kelly and Gerard McDonagh in attack.

The Harps lined out as follows. Willie McSorley, Fergus McAleavey, Tommy O'Hagan, Hugh McSorley (Kevin Daly), Chuckie Morris, Martin Gill, Jungle McKee, Philip McKinney, Smackers McAneney 0-1(Danny Rafferty), Joe Quigley 0-2 (0-2 frees)(Harpo McKenna 0-1), Minnie Holmes, Gerard McDonagh 0-3, Matthew Cartmill (Sean Morrison 0-1), Kevin Kelly 2-2 and Ultan Lennon 0-2 (0-1 free)(Ebby Toal).

Passing_Interest

On Friday April 4th, the Harps Committee are honouring the 40th Anniversary of the 1968 Minor Championship winning team.
In addition they have extended the night of celebration to include the 1983 Juvenile Championship winning team, whose 25th Anniversary it is.
The following letter is being posted out this week to all members of the 1983 Juvenile Championship winning team.
Any of the panel who read this on here, can also reply via PM.

For the record, the team that contested the '83 U-16 County Final was:
                              John Grimley
Ian Hannon              Jim Cavlin                  Charlie Guy
Mark Grimley            Niall Campbell             Charlie McLean
                Andrew Clark             Ritchie Nugent
Damien Basketfield       Barry Mills               Paddy O'Neill
Gareth McGleenan      Liam Hughes           Damien McCarthy
Subs: Olly Houlahan for Damien Basketfield
Not Used: Colin Woods, Ronan O'Neill, Paul McKay, Paddy Conlon, Niall Devlin, John McCool, Colm Donnelly

1983 JUVENILE CHAMPIONS REUNION
Armagh Harps GFC Clubrooms
Friday April 4th 2008 9:00 pm
A Chara,
Armagh Harps GFC would like to invite you and your partner to a very special night of celebration to be held in the Harps Clubrooms on Friday 4th April 2008.  This year marks the 25th Anniversary of our 1983 Juvenile Championship win.  It also marks the 40th Anniversary of the 1968 Minor Championship win.  In this special year - the 120th Anniversary of the Armagh Harps GFC itself - the Committee have decided to honour both teams.

For all of us on the panel that year this was our first county title.  Many of the team went on to win further county honours at Juvenile, Minor, 'B' and Senior Levels.  Many wore the blue & white with distinction for years to come.  Others made us so proud representing Armagh, Ulster and even Ireland at the highest levels of the game.  However for many of us this was to be the pinnacle of our footballing careers.  So this is a chance to relive the summer when playing for the Harps was the 'be all and end all', when we had the best player in Ireland as our joint manager and when we were the best team in the county.

The night will kick off about 9pm. There will be music and food provided and the highlight of the night will be a presentation to the reunited teams of 1983 and 1968.  Great interest has already been expressed and many from both teams that are domiciled over the water have already booked flights home.

In order to ensure the night runs smoothly, could you please contact one of the organisers as soon as possible, to confirm your attendance. Alternatively email ohoulahan@talk21.com. We look forward to hearing from you soon, and meeting you all again on the night.
Charlie Guy 07802612950
Paul McKay 07771851066
Olly Houlahan 07801850319
Nothing but the same old story.........

Rufus T Firefly

There are some legends listed in that 1983 set up. That should be a great night.

That minor team of 1968 was a very important part of our history. After the glory of the 1950s, the 1960s were the exact opposite, and that team was the one beacon of light in that decade. The Harps back then were close to folding, and were only kept going by a number of great club men. That minor teambackboned the Armagh team that won the Ulster Minor Championship that year, and also the Harps Seniors of the early and mid 1970s that won the Intermediate Championship in 1974 and lost the Senior Final to angers in 1975 in a replay, having led the drawn game by six points with fifteen minutes to go.

I believe my dad still has some old cine film in the house of that Minor victory - maybe it could make an appearance on the night!   :)

Diet Coke

Rufus can you post the 68 minor team on here please.
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

Uladh

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Uladh on March 12, 2008, 09:01:51 PM

John Grimley in goals!

The Grimleys were always big for their age Uladh, but I think it's stretching it a bit to suggest a one year old John Grimley would have done nets in the minor final. That said - it may be coincidence or maybe you knew, but John Grimley was indeed our goalkeeper when playing Minor in 1983. Mark was a non playing sub! One year later, they both started midfield in a County Senior Football Final!   :o

Edit; I'm a bit slow on it - John Grimley was of course in our juvenile team of 1983 as goalkeeper and was mentioned as such on this thread!!   :-X

Quote from: Diet Coke on March 12, 2008, 08:15:58 PM

With pleaseure DC. I would love to say I knew the line up off the top of my head - it necessitated a phone call to Rufus Senior.

The Harps side that claimed the County Minor Title in 1968, with victory over Clann Eireann in Crossmaglen was:

Don Richards

Brendan Lappin                                Pat McKenna (Captain)                              Jamesie Vallely

Gerry Cauldwell                                        Sean Doran                                     Sean Dingle Daly

Marty Kelly                                        Gerald Grimley

Brendan Louden Kelly                             Martin Duggan                                      Niall Grimley

Stephen Mackle                                     Mick McKenna                                      Joe McKenna

Subs: Eugene Connolly, Danny Cassidy, Gregory Knipe, Martin Keating, Don Stevenson and Roy Taylor.

Bloody hell!!! How many all time greats is it possible to have in one team???   8) 8)   

Diet Coke

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 12, 2008, 09:12:39 PM
Quote from: Uladh on March 12, 2008, 09:01:51 PM

John Grimley in goals!

The Grimleys were always big for their age Uladh, but I think it's stretching it a bit to suggest a one year old John Grimley would have done nets in the minor final. That said - it may be coincidence or maybe you knew, but John Grimley was indeed our goalkeeper when playing Minor in 1983. Mark was a non playing sub! One year later, they both started midfield in a County Senior Football Final!   :o

Edit; I'm a bit slow on it - John Grimley was of course in our juvenile team of 1983 as goalkeeper and was mentioned as such on this thread!!   :-X

Quote from: Diet Coke on March 12, 2008, 08:15:58 PM

With pleaseure DC. I would love to say I knew the line up off the top of my head - it necessitated a phone call to Rufus Senior.

The Harps side that claimed the County Minor Title in 1968, with victory over Clann Eireann in Crossmaglen was:

Don Richards

Brendan Lappin                                Pat McKenna (Captain)                              Jamesie Vallely

Gerry Cauldwell                                        Sean Doran                                      Sean Dingle Daly

Marty Kelly                                        Gerald Grimley

Brendan Louden Kelly                             Martin Duggan                                      Niall Grimley

Stephen Mackle                                     Mick McKenna                                      Joe McKenna

Subs: Eugene Connolly, Danny Cassidy, Gregory Knipe, Martin Keating, Don Stevenson and Roy Taylor.

Bloody hell!!! How many all time greats is it possible to have in one team???   8) 8)   

Definately two of the All time Greats.
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

Mhic Easmuint

Full details and you your ticket online at: http://antrim.gaa.ie/saffron-sweep-2008/

Feel free to ask questions on the main thread.

Candyman

fcuksake

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Rufus T Firefly

Tremendous - top groundsman of all time!   :D

crossfire

Rufus
Were the Grimley twins not both playing in the half back line against Keady in the 1984 county final ??