Post something controversial you believe in

Started by pintsofguinness, February 07, 2008, 09:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Square Ball on February 07, 2008, 10:05:00 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 07, 2008, 09:40:28 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on February 07, 2008, 09:30:19 PM
I really do believe in Extraterrestrials, love watching documentaries about them and find it hard to believe that with the size of the universe and the amounts of other galaxies out there, we are the most intelligent

Fair point SB, except that there are so many flukey circumstances that have converged to support life on earth, viz. the Sun, our exact distance from it (any closer and we'd fry, any further away and we'd deep freeze), our atmospheric make up, H2O, our moon (no life without it), etc..

agree with POG on this one, sort of horses for courses in their development.

There's a fundamental distinction to be drawn here though, I don't think PoG's comparing bramleys with granny smiths: the key point being that polar bears have evolved to survive in the extreme life supporting environment of the Arctic, and camels have evolved to thrive in the extreme life supporting environment of the desert, i.e., the life supporting components must exist in the first instance, however demanding or extreme they may be.

Edit: Of course, that's not to say we necessarily know what will support life, or what would prohibit it... unknown unknowns.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 07, 2008, 10:07:20 PM
Totally believe in Aliens

Also I believe in an Afterlife and I 100% completely believe in Reincarantion
I also believe Ireland is a very rasict country

RLL,
wouldnt reincarnation cancel out an afterlife, unless that afterlife is reincarnation?

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

ziggysego

I think with reincarnation, eventually you get to an afterlife.

Anyone want to prove what an idiot I am?  :D
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

theres something out there tinkering with this board!

Q Scully and molder and the music
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on February 07, 2008, 10:16:19 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 07, 2008, 10:07:20 PM
Totally believe in Aliens

Also I believe in an Afterlife and I 100% completely believe in Reincarantion
I also believe Ireland is a very rasict country

RLL,
wouldnt reincarnation cancel out an afterlife, unless that afterlife is reincarnation?

From what I have researched DH an Afterlife is where we spend our time until we are ready to be reincarnated,and we keep being reincarnated until we are ready spiritually to spend eternity in the Afterlife
There is some amazing stories where people believe they were reincarnated,I know some are likely to be bullshite the same as people who claim to have been in contact with Aliens but they can't be all lying can they?
I'm fascinated by the whole idea of Reincarnation
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Square Ball

Quote from: hardstation on February 07, 2008, 10:42:03 PM
Is it this board? My internet has gone to shite, the last 10 minutes.

Its the board mate
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on February 07, 2008, 10:49:25 PM
Laoislad, you'll come back as a boyo from Salford. You'll be class at soccer and will be signed up by United. You'll be a star for them. You'll retire and move to Dublin. You'll take up Gaelic football and go on to captain the Dubs when they beat Laois in the All Ireland final. You'll marry a 100 year old Debbie McGee and you'll keep a pet goat.

Well then i won't be called laoislad...what will i be called? salfordlad?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

J70

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 07, 2008, 09:40:28 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on February 07, 2008, 09:30:19 PM
I really do believe in Extraterrestrials, love watching documentaries about them and find it hard to believe that with the size of the universe and the amounts of other galaxies out there, we are the most intelligent

Fair point SB, except that there are so many flukey circumstances that have converged to support life on earth, viz. the Sun, our exact distance from it (any closer and we'd fry, any further away and we'd deep freeze), our atmospheric make up, H2O, our moon (no life without it), etc..

Or maybe life on earth developed and became adapted to the conditions actually found on earth. Not all earthbound lifeforms need oxygen, not all ultimately depend on sunlight or the range of temperatures found at or near the surface of the planet. Its pretty well accepted that life existed well before the richly oxygenated atmosphere as well and was responsible for adding the oxygen to the atmosphere. I'm sure there are quite a few planets out there where some form of life has evolved.

thewobbler

1. I believe that global warming is a government sponsored idea with a sole purpose of raising tax.
2. I have a strong feeling that within a decade, mobile phones will be proven to a bigger killer than smoking, and directly related to all manner of brain-related diseases.
3. The best cure for loutishness in society is to put them all in jobs where they work 50 hour weeks manual labour. They'll be too tired at the start of their working career to cause any trouble, and too disciplined at the end of it to cause any trouble.
4. This should be extended to prisons. Our road and rail systems would greatly benefit from thousands of free manual workers every week.
5. In almost every way I am a conservative bordering on fascist, but I believe in a right to shelter. We are going to end up with a two-tier society in the future if actions aren't taken to stop houses being beyond the realistic means of the average hardworking Joe. All second houses should have 100% capital gains tax to prevent speculators and banks continuing to rape humans of one of their most basic needs.
6. Money is a great thing, but it should be earned, and not taken for granted in government handouts. To this end I propose that money be split into two denominations, but of equal value. Money earned from work could be spent anywhere you please. Money earned from benefits and the like could only be spent in certain shops, and to purchase only certain, necessary items. Yes, I know this would great a black market, but it would be a step in the right direction. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: J70 on February 07, 2008, 10:58:39 PM
Or maybe life on earth developed and became adapted to the conditions actually found on earth. Not all earthbound lifeforms need oxygen, not all ultimately depend on sunlight or the range of temperatures found at or near the surface of the planet. Its pretty well accepted that life existed well before the richly oxygenated atmosphere as well and was responsible for adding the oxygen to the atmosphere. I'm sure there are quite a few planets out there where some form of life has evolved.

Maybe, so name me one other known planet (of which there are thousands, if not millions known to humans), where life exists? There are a good few in our immediate solar vicinity where life is not supported, and... I was referring to those (specific circumstances) that supported life on Earth only.

"Pretty well existed...", sorry, scientifically proven fact is all I'm interested in, not consensus, and the life you're referring to was unicellular if I'm not mistaken, as far as we know.  :P

new devil

THE MIGHTY QUINN

All this talk and hype about global warming is quite correct. We need to be warned about these things. I understand that there was little or no media hype or stuff on the telly predicting the Ice Age and look what it did. Lets not be caught out twice.

stephenite

Capitalsim/Democracy and Western society will collapse within the next century, mainly as a result of fuel reserves running dry.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on February 07, 2008, 11:23:57 PM
All this talk and hype about global warming is quite correct. We need to be warned about these things. I understand that there was little or no media hype or stuff on the telly predicting the Ice Age and look what it did. Lets not be caught out twice.

A few scary scientific facts: if the West Antarctica ice melts, the sea level will rise by 19 feet, if the Greenland ice sheet melts the sea level will rise by 24 feet, and if the East Antarctica ice melts the sea level will rise by 170 feet; those aren't wild projections, they're based on simple volume into area calculations, and if one's in progress so will the other two be in progress (150 feet and the Statue of Liberty's submerged), with a currently estimated timeframe of 300 years to total melt.

Gnevin

Your all crazy

Just waiting for some to same they believe the  world is flat
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.