Croke Park and Ash Wednesday

Started by Mickey Linden, February 07, 2008, 10:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Was at croke park last night to watch the soccer. Must say it was an enjoyable enough experience. Headed to the ground straight after work so had no time for dinner. Went to get something to eat inside the ground. Only hot dogs and burgers for sale. On Ahs Wednesday??? Whats going on?

ziggysego

Not all sport fans are Catholics. Have to cater for all.

Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Quote from: ziggysego on February 07, 2008, 10:52:26 AM

Yeah, but 'only hot dogs and burgers' means they are not catering for the Catholics who like to skip meat on Ash Wednesday. I suppose they could have had chips?

ziggysego

Fast day, shouldn't be eating anyway.

Breakfast, Dinner and Tea. That's all. ;)
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

rashCharacter

You'd have been safe enough going for a hot dog, there's not much meat in them thing anyway!!

T Fearon

You wanted to be sitting beside people in the Hogan last night actually eating that shit. God they smell horrible...and the hot dogs smell bad as well ;D

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on February 07, 2008, 11:10:18 AM
God they smell horrible...and the hot dogs smell bad as well ;D

He who dealt it, smelt it ;)
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Dinner and two collations ziggy.

The bite at Corker would have been a collation. I say Archbishop Croke is spinning in his grave. See what happens when you let those west-Brits in?

:D

T Fearon

Bit of a paradox in Dublin yesterday. Saw loads of people in O'Connell Street and Henry Street with ashes on their foreheads, including many young people, yet there was an auld fella sitting beside me at the match munching away on a hot dog on one side, and another man from Monaghan, obviously a good catholic, sticking to fish and chips on th other side. In fact I was thinking of calling him Barrabas ;D

Mickey Linden

I never seen any fish for sale. Starving I was. Never got anything til I came out of the ground! I wonder can any of the OWCer's tell us if there was fish on sale at windsor?

nifan

No idea Mickey - I wouldnt eart from the places in windsor if you paid me

Hardy

They used to have cakes in Cork that the locals called Connie Dodgers. Bishop Con Lucey had laid down the detail of what was acceptable fare at a "collation". One example of what was allowable was a cup of tea and a scone. So this local bakery started to produce "scones" about the size of a loaf of bread. Hunger and religious observance both satisfied.

Rudi

Quote from: ziggysego on February 07, 2008, 10:52:26 AM

?? How to you figure out the catholics are catered for, no wonder you have 6070 posts. Always have a comment on everything but rarely constructive.

Mickey agree with the day that was in it, the owners of the stadium (which prides itself on its sometimes bigotted heritage)  should have provided fish for the supporters, of which the majority would have been catholics.

dubinhell

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2008, 10:56:24 AM
Yeah, but 'only hot dogs and burgers' means they are not catering for the Catholics who like to skip meat on Ash Wednesday. I suppose they could have had chips?

Or had the religious-induced willl power not to eat for 90 minutes?  ;)