Mc Gilligan spills his guts!

Started by wobbller, February 07, 2008, 08:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumanee 1

that would be my point in the two games running indepentdent of each other,if you had 30 hurlers that commited totaly to hurling it will make the team stronger in the long run

imtommygunn

I would disagree about it being a problem there but you're right - Kerry, Derry and probably a good few other county boards put significantly more input into the football.

Really Derry's problem here, to a large extent, is just illustrative of hurling in perceived weaker counties in general.

I say to a large extent because Derry seem to have talented hurlers up to the 18/21 age then they just drop off whereas a number of other "weaker" counties wouldn't ever have talented hurlers at all.

lynchbhoy

a lot has to do with that achilles heel of GAA - the rubbish scheduling for teams,clubs and counties.
There has to be something done about it if we are to continue.
the congestion in fixtures has made dual players have to choose prob more so than intercounty managers demanding they drop the other code.
Its something that wont go away and its a more recent phenomenon as Gaelic games become more popular than ever with football, hurling,Camogie,ladies football and underage plus schools/colleges/universities/interfirms in all four codes never more popular.
Grounds and pitches are hard to get, schedules are crazy. We cannot continue on this way , or we will lose some of these kids/people looking to participate.
A bit of organisation is required. A national schedule for intercounty games is required. Then clubs can start to plan also.

Add this to the list for discussion along with payment to players, inj benefit funding to players and their families, managers payment schemes etc etc

Derry is no different to other counties, we need all counties to be nurtured along when they are in their formative years in terms of hurling clubs (Derry hurling in reality is quite recent) - plus I would like the same to be done for football in the likes of kilkenny, Tipp and kildare! ;)

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 07, 2008, 02:50:56 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on February 07, 2008, 02:13:02 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on February 07, 2008, 12:03:24 PM
Quote from: Oak Leafer on February 07, 2008, 11:32:27 AM
Think this whole issue of complaining about hurlers bein used as panel playes for the football is a bit of a joke!! At the end of the day are Derry really gonna get anywhere near Antrim in the hurling either way??
Derry have won 2 Uster titles this decade - that's a quarter of them so far ;)

Bogball, winning an Ulster c'ship in hurling means absolutely zero. No teams of any worth who can compete on the big stage...not one...all would be slaughtered against any of the big teams in the championship.....thats some comparison FFS.
an ulster title is an ulster title - whether its football or hurling.
There maybe onl two teams to beat (currently) in Ulster to win the hurling, but its similar in football is it not ?
Only a couple of teams capable of winning the ulster. So whats the difference.
Let me explain it to you - the diff is that people with a preference for football believe there is greater value in winning the ulster title in football. Conversely the reverse is true for people with hurling preferences.

When Derry county board did back the senior hurling properly, Derry won the ulster and then ran a decent Offaly side very close in the All Ireland q-final/semi-final.
Is it not impressive that they did that.
Derry football supporters find it quite an achievement getting to or winning an All Ireland q-final let alone semi-final.

Dont let your foolish bias cloud reality.  :)

Now i know for sure that Lynchboy has not a clue about Ulster football. Tyrone, Monaghan, Armagh, Derry and Donegal are all serious contenders for the Ulster championship.....thats 5 I count....and the rest ye will only win after a dog fight

Now I must say that was some dog fight Antrim had last year to win the Ulster hurling title....FFS what alot of bull Lynchboy.  I'll not even mention  what happens when the footballers leave Ulster compared to our EQUALLY talented hurlers

Only 2 Lynchboy....away nad catch urself on ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on February 07, 2008, 03:28:06 PM
Now i know for sure that Lynchboy has not a clue about Ulster football. Tyrone, Monaghan, Armagh, Derry and Donegal are all serious contenders for the Ulster championship.....thats 5 I count....and the rest ye will only win after a dog fight

Now I must say that was some dog fight Antrim had last year to win the Ulster hurling title....FFS what alot of bull Lynchboy.  I'll not even mention  what happens when the footballers leave Ulster compared to our EQUALLY talented hurlers

Only 2 Lynchboy....away nad catch urself on ;)
all I'll say is that you set your standards very low when it comes to declaring serious contenders for the ulster title !
What will they al do after they get out of ulster?
The dubs laughed at the notion of Derry playing them last year, Tyrone were a disgrace against a poor meath side, only monaghan who tried to bulldoze their way through the championship gave kerry a game mostly due to the benevolence of a ref that also obv wanted to see the kingdom toppled!

Your bias is terminal it seems, to be allowed continue your delusioned life!  :D

Will Hunting

Is this the same lucrative Ulster Hurling Championship that they didn't even play the Final of in 2006?... or did they?! Who knows?!

tbrick18

Quote from: hardstation on February 07, 2008, 03:41:20 PM
Quote from: Will Hunting on February 07, 2008, 03:39:04 PM
Is this the same lucrative Ulster Hurling Championship that they didn't even play the Final of in 2006?... or did they?! Who knows?!
Antrim 2-20
New York 1-14

I'd forgot all about that!
What does this say about the regard with which the Ulster Hurling championship is held.....New York ffs!!!!!

I agree with some of LB's points about nurturing hurling and football in the weaker counties, but this should not be at the expense of the perceived stronger sport in those counties. For example, if some kind of measure was put in place in Derry that dictated which code a player had to line out for then both codes would undoubtedly suffer. It would set the football back for now as it would/could lose squad players which are important to progress and in the future it could potentially restrict players from playing on the hurling squad.
I think there is a genuine case to run both codes independant of each other. Look at some of the clubs (Kevin Lynch/Canices) that have separate clubs...seem to be doing quite well. So why would this model not work at inter county level?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 07, 2008, 04:08:03 PM
What does this say about the regard with which the Ulster Hurling championship is held.....New York ffs!!!!!

I agree with some of LB's points about nurturing hurling and football in the weaker counties, but this should not be at the expense of the perceived stronger sport in those counties. For example, if some kind of measure was put in place in Derry that dictated which code a player had to line out for then both codes would undoubtedly suffer. It would set the football back for now as it would/could lose squad players which are important to progress and in the future it could potentially restrict players from playing on the hurling squad.
I think there is a genuine case to run both codes independant of each other. Look at some of the clubs (Kevin Lynch/Canices) that have separate clubs...seem to be doing quite well. So why would this model not work at inter county level?

think the Ulster final being held inNY was to reward the NY gaels and to showcase hurling to a new audience.
Lets face it, no matter how bad you deem ulster hurling, its far better than the hurling played over in NY by clubs teams there. Ive seen it!

Whatever about running clubs independently, I dont really care or have issue with this, its the scheduling and the fixtures and county board level and intercounty level that determine players availability to both codes etc.

If there can be some way of fixing football and hurling at both club and county so that it doesnt overlap, then all the players might find it easier to play both - as most would wish to do given the time imo.

tbrick18

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 07, 2008, 04:38:11 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on February 07, 2008, 04:08:03 PM

think the Ulster final being held inNY was to reward the NY gaels and to showcase hurling to a new audience.
Lets face it, no matter how bad you deem ulster hurling, its far better than the hurling played over in NY by clubs teams there. Ive seen it!

Whatever about running clubs independently, I dont really care or have issue with this, its the scheduling and the fixtures and county board level and intercounty level that determine players availability to both codes etc.

If there can be some way of fixing football and hurling at both club and county so that it doesnt overlap, then all the players might find it easier to play both - as most would wish to do given the time imo.

I agree completely, but who decided that NY should participate in the Ulster championship? Central Council I would guess...and why would they do that? Would they not try and include them in a championship suited to their standard? If so, then the national opinion of the quality of teams in Ulster is that they are something similar to NY!!! Now I know that's a bit of an exaggeration as we know Ulster teams are better than that, but thats how it is perceived by those who make the decisions...that bar Antrim, the standard is poor.

As for fixing hurling and football so that they dont overlap....it might help for actual match days....but what about training? With the commitment required nowadays for intercounty players (probably training 3 nights a week anyway) I dont think it would be possible to schedule this so there would be no overlap. In my opinion, players should not get playing matches if they dont attend the training as its unfair to those who do so. You could not expect a dual player to train 6 nights a week and training alternate nights for the hurling and football doesnt suit. In my opinion, I think inter county players should concentrate on one code or the other and the decision as to which should be left up to that player.

I think if this decision was made, that over time we would have players dedicated to each code and as a result neither would suffer adversely, in fact I think it could only improve both codes. I would like nothing better than to see Derry Hurling competing at national level with teams like Cork, KK and Galway, but I cannot see it happening any time soon.

theskull1

Some of the Derry posters can elaborate

Is it not the case that Derry fixtures last year made it exceptionaly difficult for dual players to compete in the ulster league?

I agree that the stronger sport shouldn't be devalued in an attempt to stengthen the other. Most people think that that is what would happen, but I don't think it should necessarliy be that way if people with vision approach these problems.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Fear Bhun Na Sceilpe

Mc Gilligan needs support. The reality is that Derry with only 9 clubs can run Antrim close if the county board support them because of better breeding and genes.

Aerlik

Don't feckin me started about the Derry co.board and its collective hate of hurling.

Feckin philistines.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

imtommygunn

Is it any surprise given the attitude of some of the posters here...

One of, I say one of, the problems with the ulster championship is the fact that it actually means nothing in the grand scheme of things. If , for example, Down win Ulster then they still play Christy Ring and Antrim play Liam McCarthy.

I agree with Bhun in that derry can compete with antrim if the county board support them. Not with the breeding and genes comment though!

The stronger sport should not be weakened but there are an awful lot of boys in Derry who are not playing county football who are very very good hurlers and they don't even play for the county. If it's promoted that would change. Realistically you should be winning that christy ring if you got your ass in gear.

Fear Bhun Na Sceilpe

I was only jokin with the genes and breeding comment, but no Antrim men took the bait, raging! I love a good wind up. But seriously Derry have a great wealth of hurlers, but unless the co board find some way of helping and adequately accomodating them the game will continue in freefall. I would envisage  weaker clubs like Na Magha getting stronger as they seem to be getting organised and have a lot of true hurling men involved, they are hurling only and are relatively young. The stronger clubs also have loads of real hurling people but they are being smothered by the football wings of their clubs.