Missing Thread

Started by magickingdom, February 06, 2008, 06:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: Hardy on February 07, 2008, 12:20:13 PM
I had been holding off on reading that thread because it was long and I hadn't time. I was looking forward to it and no doubt would have added my tuppenceworth. Is it possible to undelete a thread?

Dont think so Hardy
It was pretty much SammyG saying the GAA is clearly racist.
The rest was a few people, including EG, saying its not racist, thats silly. Then we went off on a tangent about the old welcoming unionists argument for 8 or so pages.

This is why it was pulled, getting way off topic.

Feel free to start a new one to add your tuppence worth, but good luck keeping it on topic  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Hardy on February 07, 2008, 12:20:13 PM
I had been holding off on reading that thread because it was long and I hadn't time. I was looking forward to it and no doubt would have added my tuppenceworth. Is it possible to undelete a thread?

Hardy,

It stemmed from His Holiness Nb sneaking behing enemy line and heading over to OWC to discuss issues GAA related.  He was appalled by accusation that the GAA was racist and threw it out here for discussion.   Essentially the charge was that Official Guide (and the name alone) refers to Gaels.   The Gaels were a race and a few OWC'ers were afraid that post-plantation that they might have a bit of Anglo-Saxon platlets flowing through the veins.  The reasonable and genuine feeling was that someone of non-pure Gaelic origin could be found out at the DNA testing stage outlined in the Official Guide.  When this arguement failed the focus shifted to the political exclusion of unionists and the normal nuggets were flung about. (Rule 21, furthering National Identity) At this His Holiness pulled the plug.

Just another day at the coalfront of community relations.

/Jim.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 07, 2008, 12:38:21 PM
It stemmed from His Holiness Nb sneaking behing enemy lines

;D ;D ;D

Not quite, I used the same username and clarified on my first post that I was both a nationalist, GAA man, and gaaboard member, in case there was any claims of me pretending to be something else.

Bar a small determined few, they are a decent enough bunch.
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Speaking of the "determined few" I see I am now being slagged on OWC for deleting the thread over here ! ? !

Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 07, 2008, 01:08:43 PM
Speaking of the "determined few" I see I am now being slagged on OWC for deleting the thread over here ! ? !

Damned if you do and damed if you don't
Reminds me of being a Dub
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 07, 2008, 01:08:43 PM

Did you pay the money to register?
Tbc....

Jim_Murphy_74

Well Holiness,

I did advise you in the deleted thread where your foray would end up.  Any inkling of acknowledgement to anything the GAA do will be met with a diatribe about the ills of the GAA.  As I have also said some (even many) of the criticisms made are reasonable and need to be dealt with.  However if one tries to deflect any of the criticism, even the wilder ones, one is guilty of trying to deflect them all.  

Also it is not acceptable to look without the GAA for any contribution to these issues.  A massive point is now being made about the Rule 21 vote and how the 6 counties in NI bucked the trend in the vote.  Surely that points that something more than the GAA is at fault here.  Not entirely at fault mind, but is a reasonable proposition to look to see if the behaviour of the security forces had any influence on GAA members voting/thinking in NI.  The answer could indeed be no, but one shouldn't be shot down for asking the question.  

Equally Des Dalton writes a letter to the paper criticising the GAA and we have a leading light on OWC using this against the GAA. Surely if an organisation that was supposed within the clutches of extreme republicans is now incurring the wrath of these guys, it points to move in a different direction??? Now in OWC-land though, over there it's thrown out by the prosecution!  Q.E.D. your honour.

In my view Poots had it:  dump the anthem and no naming of clubs after protaganists from the Troubles.  I'd wouldn't object to that and would be interested to see how Northerners would feel.  

The rest of the stuff is crap been flung by people who loathe the GAA for being different and it's all the one to them anyhow.  For them the GAA will never get over it's history of being nationalistic.   As someone pointed out, such critics would be precluded from having anything to do with GAA for fear of being disloyal to their own tribe.

Politicised: yes, Racist: no, Curable: yes.

/Jim.

Hardy

Thanks lads. Good post Jim and I agree with what you say.

All the same, we do unnecessarily bring a lot of nonsense down on ourselves with ould guff about "our race" in the constitution. This was unexceptional language in 1884, but it's a bit loaded these days.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Hardy on February 07, 2008, 02:14:14 PM

All the same, we do unnecessarily bring a lot of nonsense down on ourselves with ould guff about "our race" in the constitution. This was unexceptional language in 1884, but it's a bit loaded these days.

I concur Hardy.  But it's jsut that, a bit of guff and the wailing and gnashing of teeth about racism is a lot of nonesense.  If Dr. Crokes letter was consigned to the history books it wouldn't impact on my enjoyment of Gaelic games at all.

/Jim.

SammyG

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 07, 2008, 02:21:23 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 07, 2008, 02:14:14 PM

I concur Hardy.  But it's jsut that, a bit of guff and the wailing and gnashing of teeth about racism is a lot of nonesense.  If Dr. Crokes letter was consigned to the history books it wouldn't impact on my enjoyment of Gaelic games at all.

/Jim.

That's the issue Jim (as you well know) it's not some missive from a bygone age, it's on the first page of the current official guide.

p.s. Totally agree with you and Poots (first time I've ever agreed with a DUPer must be going soft in my oul age) but I won't be holding my breath, as I don't see any evidence of these issues even being discussed nevermind acted on.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: SammyG on February 07, 2008, 02:31:22 PM

That's the issue Jim (as you well know) it's not some missive from a bygone age, it's on the first page of the current official guide.

p.s. Totally agree with you and Poots (first time I've ever agreed with a DUPer must be going soft in my oul age) but I won't be holding my breath, as I don't see any evidence of these issues even being discussed nevermind acted on.

SammyG,

I know where it is and to be honest I don't really want to argue it out.  I don't see 3 paragraphs pre-pending the guide as anything of practical relevance. It's certainly not worth the outcry and terrabytes of data it appears to have generated over on OWC.   

I've acknowledged (ala Poots) what are the practical issues.  I haven't the energy to argue about when it might change.  All I say is that my experience is that the GAA only changes when it needs, not when it is necessarily right to.  So until the is a groundswell of opinion that rules are blocking people who are genuinely interested in being involved, rather than stones being thrown for stones sake it won't change.  However I don't think that day is as far away as people think. 

/Jim.

his holiness nb

I think Sammy was referring to the racism there Jim. Is that right Sammy?
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 07, 2008, 03:04:29 PM
I think Sammy was referring to the racism there Jim. Is that right Sammy?

Not specifically (that's just a part of it) I was talking about the whole mix of race, politics, 19th century language, flags and emblems etc etc

magickingdom

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 07, 2008, 12:14:53 PM
[Magickingdom, if you think I should be thrown off the board for that then fine, otherwise dont jump to post comments claiming people should be banned before you know the proper reasons.

Oh and I locked a thread once before, as it had degenerated into off topic repeated personal abuse by a guy who has since been banned for such behaviour about 11 or 12 times.
If I'm not mistaken he has been banned again during the lifetime of this very thread  :D

hh,
its an internet discussion board and we're all hiding behind handles, so there are no proper reasons for you deleting that thread. a thread should only be deleted in very rare exceptions ie where the law has been broken. also you have deleted threads before so why bother your arse starting them in the first place.. having said that i shouldn't have said you should be banned but ffs if your going to start a thread in future let it run its course

his holiness nb

Quote from: magickingdom on February 07, 2008, 06:25:34 PM
there are no proper reasons for you deleting that thread. a thread should only be deleted in very rare exceptions ie where the law has been broken.

Magic, if you start a thread you are entitled to delete it at any stage for no reason. Theres no "rule" about rare exceptions as to laws being broken.
You dont even need a "proper reason", but I did happen to have one.
I "bothered my arse" starting it as I was hoping to discuss allegations of racism a the GAA, which as I have explained, didnt happen. You cant win, if I left it to go under the same old arguments people would be moaning about duplicate threads  ::)

Quote from: magickingdom on February 07, 2008, 06:25:34 PM
also you have deleted threads before so why bother your arse starting them in the first place.. having said that i shouldn't have said you should be banned but ffs if your going to start a thread in future let it run its course

I've deleted one thread before and explained why. Do you think I should leave personal comments and personal abuse about myself up on the board and not have the option to remove it?

Jesus christ man, I've given you valid reasons for deleting both threads, if you wanted to discuss one of the topics so much, stop whinging about it and start your own thread instead of having a go at me.
Ask me holy bollix