O'Byrne Cup Final 2008

Started by Hound, February 06, 2008, 09:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Ah - but I am not sure of my way to Parnell Park from Killister so I may end up getting lost and ending up in Coolock.

Any directions would be of help Sean

Gnevin

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 08, 2008, 02:52:16 PM
Ah - but I am not sure of my way to Parnell Park from Killister so I may end up getting lost and ending up in Coolock.

Any directions would be of help Sean
Its straight up Collins ave
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Am looking forward to this game , Hope the weather stays responsibly ok am dieing of a cold again.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Sean3

As Gnevin says, just a few very small side streets until you come out on Collins Ave and then it's only a short walk to the pitch.

Gnevin

First things first , better team lost .

Dublin where shit . A Brogan was just terrible . The only decent players where Ryan, B Brogan and O'Shaughnessy.

Any one watching on  TV think the ref was a constant pain and two teams playing in Blue was just plain stupid ?

Zulu

Great game, better team lost , ref gave the Dubs a few soft frees in front of the posts. In saying all that credit where credits due, playing poorly the dubs stuck at and got a result in the end. As a neutral though it was marvellous entertainment and both sides contributed to the actionin the manner in which they played the game.

The Real Laoislad

Great game and as has already been posted the best team lost...But in fairness the second goal was a great finish by Sherlock...
Felt sorry for the Longford lads
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Shamrock Shore

Ara my heart is aching. We did everything but win the shagging thing. Very enjoyable stuff. 100% from both teams. Ref was a pain in the nads to be sure. Very harsh on Barden for that free that lead to the Dubs' winner I felt.

Was the ball wide for the first Dubs' goal? I dunno. Dems the breaks.
Should Jayo have walked after he scored the first goal for the elbow. I dunno - perhaps he was provoked a wee bit.

Why was he all alone for the 2nd goal (which he took well, the hoor)?

If we can maintain the progress and if Dempsey can talk up the heads after this blow then we may see some craic in summer. Brian Kavanagh deserves to be seen by more GAA folk in Ireland cos he's the real deal.

OK - it's 'only' the O'Byrne Cup - great cause and I am sure of ye will agree it's probably been the best O'Byrne Cup in years.

The Real Laoislad

Yer all giving out about the Ref lads.....Did ye know he was from Laois  :o  Don't say us Laois lads never help the Dubs!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 08, 2008, 11:31:33 PM
Yer all giving out about the Ref lads.....Did ye know he was from Laois  :o  Don't say us Laois lads never help the Dubs!
Thought he was equally shit for everyone , did he appear to "favour" the dubs ? Who was the Dub playing  on the right near the half back line/ midfield area that was giving away all the frees?

LaurelEye

Sickener at the end to see the Dubs rob it from a better team on the night.

I would advise a little caution before we run away with our prospects for the coming year. It will depend on whether it's tonight's Longford team or the one from last Sunday that turn up.

Finally, as a bit of light relief, let's play Where's Shamrock Shore :)

Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

I'm in the picture alright. Spotted myself on Setanta as well when I went home and reviewed the last 10 Jazesing minutes and then McGee and Earley's commints.

Still think, on reflection, it was a marvellous game and McGee was right. If that game had been in August it would be game of the year (and if it involved Tyrone or Armagh you would see 45 pages of a thread)

Hardy

Great entertainment - not only for the neutrals, but for the rest of us as well. The ref had a mixed game, I thought, with some poor calls , but some very good ones. But I'm coming to the view that the game is becoming impossible to referee properly and it's not helped by how easy it is to fool the ref. I felt that last night, most of his errors were due to being conned by lads going down as soon as they felt the hand and, if he appeared to favour Dublin, it was because they were doing more of it.

On the other hand, I was shouting at the telly when he gave one free to Dublin only to see he was right when they replayed it and showed the Longford forward executing the old pulling-down-the-tackler trick perfectly. Not many refs ever get that right.

I'd have to say it's a great sign of a team to pull off a win in this fashion and Dublin can now install themselves as odds-on unbeatable favourites to steamroll Leinster and the rest of the country this year. Get yizzer money on now.

The game will have been great for Longford too and can do no harm to their confidence. And if you have to learn a harsh lesson like this, it's better to learn it in the O'Byrne Cup than in the Chamionship. I hope when they review the video they'll notice the difference in outcome between the long ball from midfield and trying to walk it in. They were great to watch when they were tearing the Dublin defence apart with good supply from midfield.

I agree about Kavanagh - I hope we see more of him this Summer. And if we had a transfer system I'd be recommending we put in a bid for Paddy Dowd. The injured midfielder must be something else if Dowd wasn't in the selected team. 

his holiness nb

Good stuff, great to see at this time of year.

Longford were shocking unlucky but fair play to the Dubs, they never gave up.

Suprised nobody has mentioned the umpires "incident" yet.
World class entertainment.

One reason I was glad the Dubs left it late was due to the kn**ker in the white top standing near us roaring that all the Lonford players and the ref were "wankers" repeatedly, with a crowd of bemused children around him. He left in a huff as we went into injury time and missed the ending. Delighted for him!

I honestly dont think the refs favoured the Dubs, although I should know by now that every game the Dubs ever play brings cries of "the ref was for the Dubs" after the game.

I enjoy these arguments, as the other 31 counties all want to see Dublin lose, yet for some weird reason, all refs are an exception to this rule  ???
Gives me a laugh anyway.

Fair play to Longford, even despite the manner of the defeat, it was taken with dignity by the fans.
Ask me holy bollix

INDIANA

daylight robbery by us- longford deserved it by far- some really fine players and should have every confidence that they can win a Leinster Championship if they believe in themselves. Nice to win a tight game from our point of view but only a few guys like Cullen/Shocks and Bernard turned up - a couple of the new comers did well too. But same old failings are there unfortunately.
Felt sorry for the longford fans- had great banter with some of them around us - didn't engage in the sort of triumphant bullshit that certain other Leinster counties are good at it when it looked like they were going to win. Hope they get promoted in the league. Great night's entertainment.