Dublin Colleges into Leinster SHC semis

Started by Bord na Mona man, February 05, 2008, 01:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Another good scalp for the Dublin colleges.
St Kieran's don't seem to be the force of old.
I wonder is this down to the ceasing of the boarding school a couple of years ago.
Also the other schools in Kilkenny seem to be improving, so perhaps Kieran's isn't the primary hurling nursery any more?

DUBLIN COLLEGES 1-11 ST KIERAN'S (Kilkenny) 1-6

Dublin Colleges toppled the famed Kilkenny nursery, St Kieran's, in last Saturday's Leinster Colleges SHC 'A' quarter-final at Dr Cullen Park, Carlow.

David Treacy and Jamie Winters were the scoring stars for the Dubs with Cuala man Treacy hitting 0-6 (including four frees) and St Brigid's Winters hitting 1-2.

The Dubs held the upperhand and led by 0-8 to 0-2 at the interval. It was a lead they extended to 0-10 to 0-3 early in the second half until a Rick Leydon goal 16 minutes into the second half cut the gap to 0-10 to 1-4.

However, Dublin settled again and Winters late goal direct from a sideline cut made sure of their slot in the last four. Dublin Colleges will face Good Counsel or Bunclody in their semi-final.

SCORERS - Dublin Colleges: D Treacy 0-6 (0-4f), J Winters 1-2 (1-1 sideline), L Rushe (0-1f), C Clinton, N McMurrow 0-1 each. St Kieran's: R Leydon 1-0, J Gannon, B O'Shea, J Brennan 0-2 each.
DUBLIN COLLEGES - F McGarry; D O Maolaigh, R O'Carroll, D Curran; R O'Loughlin, L Rushe, M Quilty; C Clinton, R Breathnach; J Winter, N Muineachain; D Treacy, N McMurrow, A McInerney, J Stapleton. Subs: F Clabby for Rushe, J Callaghan for Muineachain, M Lawless for McInerney, F Dunleavy for Stapleton.
ST KIERAN'S, KILKENNY – K Heffernan; N McQuillan, M Walsh, O Daly; P Dowling, M Phelan, P Phelan; C McQuillan, R Leydon; S Butler, J Gannon, S Quinlan; S Phelan, B O'Shea, J Brennan. Subs: T Flynn for Butler, J Walsh for Quinlan.

tayto

I think the lack of borders is leveling the playing field alright. Flannan's aren't the force they once were either, all the same a great scalp for Dublin.

AZOffaly

How long is this 'Dublin colleges' concept going to be around? It's obviously a big boon for Dublin underage hurling, but is it fair? Is there a 'Westmeath' colleges, or even an Offaly colleges?

Is it up to the counties themselves? If not, why should Dublin get such a boost at underage level?

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 05, 2008, 04:13:57 PM
How long is this 'Dublin colleges' concept going to be around? It's obviously a big boon for Dublin underage hurling, but is it fair? Is there a 'Westmeath' colleges, or even an Offaly colleges?

Is it up to the counties themselves? If not, why should Dublin get such a boost at underage level?

Fair , not really but nothing is stopping other counties doing the same . This is about the long term good of Hurling really , is it fair the Dublin have 2 teams in this years All-Ireland  Dublin and Fingal. Not really but until Dublin start walking these competitions then the ends are justify the mean
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

tayto

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 05, 2008, 04:13:57 PM

Valid question.

There is a Westmeath colleges alright.

The boarding school hurling nurseries in the past were often a collection of the best and brightest from their county and beyond in some cases, they held an unfair advantage for many years really.

This is only the second time a Dublin team has beaten Kieran's so I think it's a little too soon to say that we've an unfair advantage.

Having said that the colleges are split into North and South at junior level the last few years and that's coming through to senior shortly. Dublin south lost to Kieran's by one point in the Leinster final last year. 

AZOffaly

So other counties are entitled to do it as well?

If so, then fair play to Dublin, it's a great way of boosting their underage talent, and giving them games against the likes of Birr, St. Kierans, St. Peters etc.

I would be very put out if other counties weren't allowed do it mind you, because there aren't many counties that don't need development of underage players.

tayto

Well we'll be splitting into north and south soon, not sure if it's next year or the year after.

No doubt it has helped develop our underage teams in recent years, winning the all Ireland wa s ahuge boost for the underage set-up and helps breed confidence and media attention. 

I presume the split is to expose more players to that level of hurling while retaining a competitive edge ... hopefully ...

neilthemac

East Galway/Roscommon Colleges have a team in the Connacht Senior A Hurling championship this year.

otherwise many of the schools individually would be in the B or C grade playing among themselves

If only to give the players more games!

other counties should do likewise. Competition at the higher end of things is the way to go for the elite young players.

INDIANA

we've only won 2 leinster championships in 13 years at colleges level - so the dublin colleges couldn't be said to be dominating. With the old boarding schools having huge numbers it was the only way we could compete-it is being split soon though into north and south. Ironically it will be south dublin which will be the dominanat force as their clubs are sweeping the board in dublin while the old bastions on the north are fading fast.I think peters are favourites this year but i haven't seen them myself. that's a good  dublin team though considering they were missing players. they won't be far away. I've very high hopes for our minor team this year if they can  it together they could challenge Tipp strongly for the All-Ireland-while our 21's will be on the shortlist for the All-Ireland this year- there are some real talents on it.

tayto

The u21 management have a job getting the best 15 ont he pitch, i cant pick the best 15 no matter how many times i try. Not often you'd say that about a dublin hurling panel.

scalder

That sounds like a Galway complaint Tayto!

Peters are a good team but I'd still fancy Dublin or the KK teams this year but fingers crossed as Wexford hurling could do with a boost.

tayto

Well it'll be interesting to see if they can strike the right balance, a lot of good players but possibly not enough outstanding ones to match Galway. If they get it right, management team from the 05 minor team, then I think we've the potential to be as good if not better then last years u21s. Fingers crossed anyway.

Someone on the Dublin minor panel said they fancy Wexford to be the team to beat in Leinster this year.

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

The rise of Dublin hurling has been great to see and highlights what can be done with the proper funding and coaching structures being put in place. Paudie Butler told a great story at a coaching course I was at recently in dublin where he said that the Dublin lads at the DJ Carey school of hurling were actually asking constantly when were they getting to play Kilkenny. I said it was a real sign of the new found confidence within Dublin hurling and that the young dubs at the school would have played Kilkeeny twice that weekend if they had got a chance!

I have watched Dublin's rise with interest as in the not so distant past Down would have played them at underage level regularly and they would have been pretty tight games but now Dublin are just on another level. In part Down have stood still and this has contributed to the gap but Dublin have really advanced as well.

Dublin will know they have arrived when the "big counties" start complaining about the level of resoruces being directed there and that day will come, if Dublin win 2-3 All Irelands at underage level in a short period of time which will happen soon I think then watch to see the clamour for a claw back on central resources. Its great to see hurling develop but not at our expense will be the attitude from some. Everyone was delighted when the Dublin colleges started to win a few games in the Leinster competition and indeed when they won the All Ireland but that is already beginning to change and Kierans etc won't be too happy to be relegated down the tiers of provinicial top dogs.

Well done the dubs, hurling needs the game to be strong in Dublin but don't expect the goodwill to last for too much longer, which I suppose is the greatest compliment to your progress.

tayto

Interesting post and I feel you're spot on. However I think that IF the investment in Dublin hurling does finally translate to a truly competitive Dublin senior hurling team, then the GAA will make their money back soon enough, as there's serious potential for a bandwagon the likes of which hasn't been seen since the rise of Munster Rugby. If we were getting to semi-finals or even to the final itself the GAA could coin it with the crowds that would surely follow. Whether we can get to that level at senior is debatable but if we can keep the underage improvement going it should eventually translate through. Here's hoping anyway.

scalder

Tayto – I'm 100% in agreement I really do believe that if Dublin rise it will be unbelievable the level of interest that it will generate. I mean you meet many non-GAA people who are fascinated by hurling, it has the ability to win over many people who remain cold to the charms of football I believe. So yes the investment will be a good one, in Wexford we are getting organised so don't expect us to roll over but I do welcome Dublin's rise. The day a Dublin hurling game fills Croke Park will be a great day for the game.