Author Topic: The Official UFC Thread  (Read 123692 times)

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
Re: The Official UFC Thread
« Reply #1560 on: October 11, 2018, 11:01:30 AM »

His methods have developed over the years through trial and error, not through science.

Was actually gonna put in brackets (science, or lack of) so you beat me to it there...although he has something like 200 fighters on his books so there must be something in it.

As for Kavanagh's background outside the ring, I know nothing.  I just like to hear him talk about tactics and strategies.  Get a different perspective on things, ye know?

But 3 bell-ends on one podcast! Harsh!   :)

It's rare enough that Rogan has anyone on his podcast who isn't one.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

The Gs Man

• View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: October 11, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »
Off topic, but did you ever hear the one he had with the guy who spent 20 odd years on death row?  That was crazy.  Nick Yarris was his name.  The man was a complete pyscho, very manipulative. 
Keep 'er lit

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: October 11, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »
Kavanagh comes across as a likeable sod for me. Obviously loves MMA with a passion. He has done well for himself and yes he has of course struck lucky with McGregor.  Surely he is also a big part of McGregor's success too though, so could be argued that they were lucky with each other.

I am a casual enthusiast of UFC but i thoroughly enjoyed hearing his interview with Joe Rogan (enjoyed his book too). Personally he could be a bell end for all i know but i see little in his public persona in that regard.

The Iceman

• Here comes the Pain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: October 11, 2018, 12:45:30 PM »
JK comes across well in interviews. He's articulate. He is knowledgeable in his field and tried in the early days to engage with fans.  He has a decent gym and is one of the highest ranking BJJ black belts in Ireland. As a competitor he was average. Some people are better coaches than fighters (insert sport)....

Outside of the fight game I'm not a fan. He is very opinionated and pushes these opinions on whoever frequents his gym - because its his gym.  He is extremely anti-church, anti-religion (mainly because of his brother I would suspect) and does not tolerate anyone who sides with religion.  Even though he is a "champion for tolerance".... He also enjoys taking foolish letters from fans and broadcasting them on social media and ridiculing the person who sent it. 

Not too many people would ever know who he is had it not been for Conor. But Conor needs him. He is a great tactician.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: October 11, 2018, 04:32:23 PM »
Has McGregor gone into media exile since last Saturday night, I haven't seen an interview with him yet since his defeat which is very unusual for him.

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: October 11, 2018, 05:07:01 PM »
Has McGregor gone into media exile since last Saturday night, I haven't seen an interview with him yet since his defeat which is very unusual for him.

Err, look at his social media before posting this.

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: October 11, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »

I was referring to an interview. He didn't do the post fight press conference and hasn't given an interview since then either to the best of my knowledge which is unusual given his media profile. I highly doubt if McGregor personally runs his own social media content and there is rarely anything of any interest on it anyway.   

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: October 11, 2018, 05:20:27 PM »

I was referring to an interview. He didn't do the post fight press conference and hasn't given an interview since then either to the best of my knowledge which is unusual given his media profile. I highly doubt if McGregor personally runs his own social media content and there is rarely anything of any interest on it anyway.

Youíre from a very different age if you think you need to do an interview to break media silence in 2018. Ladís been as visible as ever.

The Gs Man

• View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 12, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »
Rodriguez vs the Korean Zombie!   :o

What a fight and finish.

Keep 'er lit

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: December 10, 2018, 04:46:35 PM »
Holloway with an absolute clinic on Saturday night - very impressive

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: December 10, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
The SB Nation documentary on the history of MMA, Fighting in the Age of Loneliness, is excellent.

The Gs Man

• View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: December 11, 2018, 09:05:37 AM »
Holloway with an absolute clinic on Saturday night - very impressive

He was great wasn't he?  Would love to see him try 155lb though.   

What about Gunnar opening up Cowboy like a tin of sardines?  Brutal elbow.
Keep 'er lit

Don Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: December 11, 2018, 04:42:04 PM »
Thought this bump would be to do with the rumours circulating on Whatsapp...

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: December 11, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
We'll have to shut the board down in that case

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: December 11, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »
Doesn't sound good. . . I'm no fan of McGregor but we'll hear nothing until the trial is over if it even gets that far.

Syferus will be along shortly with all the evidence and the guilty verdict!!