Counted out @ 99

Started by full back, January 31, 2008, 01:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Didnt want to start a thread, but can find anything about the English team.....
Although the media are screaming out for the 100 caps I reckon Capello has a point here - no sentiments

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3096200,00.html
Beckham left out of squad

The England manager telephoned the midfielder and broke the news to Beckham - who is just one appearance short of becoming the fifth man to earn 100 England caps - but assured him he could be part of his plans for the future.

It is understood that Capello told the 32-year-old he wanted his players to be match-fit, and that naming Beckham in his squad to face Switzerland next week would be unfair on those who have been playing in matches week-in, week-out.

Beckham is very disappointed by the news, especially as he has been training with Arsenal during his holiday - Major League Soccer's close season - to get fit for Capello's first game in charge.

He has however been encouraged by his talk with Capello about the future.

In the phonecall, Capello told Beckham he was still part of his plans and that there was no reason why he will not pick him again as long as he is fit enough and playing well enough for the Los Angeles Galaxy.

It is also understood that Capello had no issue with Beckham going to Brazil and Africa this week.

Capello has a history of dropping the former Manchester United star, jettisoning him from the Real Madrid set-up after he signed for the Galaxy before, like Steve McClaren, recalling him as the season reached fever pitch.

Gabriel_Hurl

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Minder

I can feel a Sun/Hello/OK exclusive, Becks - "My Agony"
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

nifan

I think he was maybe dropped a bit handy by mclaren, but i think capello is right - there are better options than him right now, and ones he will want to asses now for the near future.

clarshack

capello did the right thing - theres no room for sentiment. if he picked beckham he might as well have picked gary lineker to try and get that elusive goal!