2008 Six Nations Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, January 30, 2008, 01:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Stagmeister on February 11, 2008, 03:25:50 PM
Quote from: maddog on February 11, 2008, 02:49:00 PM
He pulled out big time. I doubt the character sometimes of those lads. Brian O Driscoll, best centre in the world, when was that again?

On what basis would you question their character?? Just because Brian O'Driscoll isnt playing well this year does not mean he has no character, he has been one of the top 2 or 3 centres in the world for the last 6 or 7 years (I think he has been the best but thats a matter of opinion). He's just about the most talented sportsman this country has ever produced and your questioning his character?? He didn't achieve this through being lazy, you won't find a centre in world rugby who works harder than Brian O'Driscoll, his workrate is unreal.

And then you have Ronan O'Gara, the sh*t he has had to put up with over the last year has been unbelievable!!! But he still never shirks his responsibility and goes out and gives it everything every time he plays. Highest points scorer in Heineken cup history, second highest points scorer in 5/6 nations history!! I'll tell you one thing, you'll miss these lads when they're gone!!!

100% correct

in 3/4 years time, i fear ireland will be the whipping boys of the 6 nations
i hope im 100% wrong though
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Puckoon

Cracking move for the try - glad to see Geordan Murphy get that one right.

AZOffaly

Sad to see Simon Best having to retire after his health scare in France, but God knows it's a lot better than something tragic happening to him at training or on the field of play.

From RTE.ie

Ireland prop Simon Best has retired from professional rugby after accepting the advice of medical experts.

Best was unexpectedly taken ill during the World Cup last autumn and was rushed to hospital in Bordeaux amid fears he had suffered a stroke.

An irregular heart rhythm was diagnosed as the source of the problem and while the Ulster front row made a rapid recovery, he has been forced to undergo constant monitoring since.

Best has not been troubled by any further episodes or suffered any long-term effects, but doctors have urged against training to the level of intensity required by a professional rugby player.

The 30-year-old said: 'It's with great sadness that I am forced to retire from the game at this stage in my career.

'However, I have no regrets and feel immensely proud and privileged to have represented both Ulster and Ireland for the past nine years.'

ziggysego

Best thing for him, if you'll excuse the pun. No sport is worth a life. I wonder if he can have some kind of involvement with either Ulster Rugby or Irish Rugby now.
Testing Accessibility

Mentalman

Yeah, was just thinking what the frick is he going to do now? Is he qualified as anything else? I was just wondering are we going to start the same phenomenon as professional soccer, where professional rugby players forced out of the game have to start all over again in their mid twenties/early thirties as all they have known is the game? I'm sure this happens in countries with larger playing populations, and as we have a limited pro pool they are generally well taken care of, or qualified, given the general strata of society rugby draws it's players from. Anyway good luck to the guy, hope it all works out for him!
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

thebandit

Its a clichéd thing to say, but Rugby players tend to be better educated, and the 'old boys network' looks after them!

AZOffaly

That was before the Professional Era though thebandit. I doubt if too many professional rugby players are in Trinners or UCD, or even UL or UCC. When they finish playing, they'll only have the leaving cert. We are just going to see the first batch of these soon, and it will be interesting. I'd say there'll be a lot of bars or restaurants opening up.

Granted, a lot of them will have gone to the 'old school' but this is definitely going to be a new experience for them. There's no doctors, lawyers or accountants playing Rugby professionally now.

thebandit

I think Felipe Contempomi is a Doctor

I know what you are saying AZ, but they would be at a bit of an andvantage to Soccer players in this regard imo. Most of the Leinster academy players would have some sort of third level education, and I know the situation is the same in Ulster.

Uladh

Best  has a huuuuge farm in poyntzpass which himself and the brother already manage in their spare time. its an old style absentee landlord manor with a semi palace perched up in seclusion. he'll be all right...

passedit

V Scotland   Attendance 74,234
V   Italy        Attendance 75,387

Any idea where the missing tickets went? Will they sell out v Wales?

Have to say that Scotland were dung, against a good side Ireland were fcuked, couldn't keep the ball at all in the first half. Luckily Scotland had no idea at all going forward. Jackman had a shocker, how he stayed on so long i'll never know. I'd say that's the end for him.

Didn't see Murphy as anywhere near MOM either, I'd have Girv the swerve back for the wales game as even if he had played extra well (which he didn't) it was only Scotland.

The rest was pretty good (with the obvious caveat of the standard of the opposition) and if they get the lineout throwing sorted they should have a better than even chance v wales. 
Don't Panic

Tankie

it was a sell out but i guess some people just didnt turn up for whatever reason.
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tankie on February 26, 2008, 08:18:49 PM
it was a sell out but i guess some people just didnt turn up for whatever reason.

They were probably all for a certain county thats on the east coast in between Meath and Wicklow and with Kildare to its side
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 26, 2008, 08:23:09 PM

They were probably all for a certain county thats on the east coast in between Meath and Wicklow and with Kildare to its side

We would be affluent enough to piss away €70 for a ticket alrite!
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tankie on February 26, 2008, 08:26:56 PM

But obviously not affluent enough to get a good education and learn how to spell  !!!  ;)

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 26, 2008, 08:31:23 PM
Quote from: Tankie on February 26, 2008, 08:26:56 PM

But obviously not affluent enough to get a good education and learn how to spell  !!!  ;)

In my private education we were taught to stay in touch with the common folk as you will never know when you need a light bulb changed and that is why I chose to click ignore when spell check highlighted it!    ;D
Grand Slam Saturday!