Who has played in London, for whom and when?

Started by irunthev, December 11, 2006, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearglasmor

Played a bit with St Michaels in the 80's had a lot of good players but the nearest thing to a star was Conor Ferguson from Meath, brother of Terry.

gortnaleck

I played with the Joes from Ealing back in the 70s and it was a god trek out to New Eltham as well.The supporters used to have the naggins of whiskey in the inside pocket of the suit jacket trying to make us a little braver.The Prince Arthur on the Uxbridge road was the HQ. They are still going and had a pretty good campaign this year

umgolaarmagh

Played a match for Wembley Gaels in 94 during the summer
Played with The Kingdom in the summers of 95,96,97
Played with Tir chonaill Gaels in the summer of 98,99 and trained with them for a while in 01,02
Was with Neasden Gaels last summer but got injured an never got to play any games

venter

QuotePlayed a match for Wembley Gaels in 94 during the summer
Played with The Kingdom in the summers of 95,96,97
Played with Tir chonaill Gaels in the summer of 98,99 and trained with them for a while in 01,02
Was with Neasden Gaels last summer but got injured an never got to play any games
You are bringing Club Loyalty to a new level :P

irunthev

St Joes won the Junior Championship this year with a team made up of a lot of English born players. Fair play to the likes of Pa McAvinnie and Jim King for sticking with it when the going got really tough. To wonderful gentlemen.

The Prince Arthur on the Uxbridge Road is still a pub but it's got some fancy dan name now, more of a wine bar I think.

Wembley Gaes disappeared about ten years ago. They used to have a real maverick keeper called John Cusack from Cavan, was as likely to appear on the half way line as in his own goal. Was a great keeper though.Won a SFC with Tara in 1995, the year they played Mullaghbawn in the All Ireland club. Donal and Ollie Reid from Donegal were also on that team.

John Mitchels ceased to be about 1997 after Stevie McLoughlin left to join Tir Chonaill Gaels, Stevie, from Whitecross (I think) in Armagh went on to win quite a few SFC with the Gaels.

Not only did Andy Comerford play in London, so did Martin. I think he was about 16 at the time and was over for the summer.

I just heard the other day too that Darren O'Sullivan, the Kerry forward actually learned to play gaelic in London with Tir Chonaill Gaels.

The Mean Fiddler no longer is either. Some great great nights had there alright. Harlesden is a totally African / West Indian town now, hardly any Irish there at all.

umgolaarmagh

Was in the Ghetto (Harlesden) a few weeks ago, not too many irish about it compared to 10 yrs ago.

Still though the same boys are sitting in the same seats in the same pubs

passedit

Pat Griffin is still about although we don't see him at Ruislip that often anymore. He managed London for three years back in the 90s.

His selector(possibly Irunthev under a different handle) and trainer (bigkickout) from that era posted on the old board, i suspect Pat lurks here himself.

Played myself with and against the foillowing in the eighties and nineties

Ray Hazeley (Dublin, Parnells)
Mattie Mc Gleenan (Tyrone, Tir Connell Gaels)
Timmy Connelly (Antrim, Tir Connell Gaels)
Anthony Molloy (Donegal, Tir Connell Gaels)
Barry Cunningham (Donegal, Tir Connell Gaels)
Tommy Maguire (Fermanagh,Tir Connell Gaels)
Donal Reid (Donegal, Tara)
Umgola's Da (Armagh, The Kingdom)
Colin & Kieran Harney (Armagh, The Kingdom)
DJ Kane (Down, Tir Connell Gaels)
Wee James (Down, Tir Connell Gaels)
Ricky Flaherty (Galway, Tomas Mac Curtains)
Timmy Dowd (Kerry,Tomas Mac Curtains)
John Costelloe (Laois, Round Towers)
Kieran Mc Garvey (Tyrone, Round Towers)
Vinny Claffey (Offaly, Round Towers)
Tom Brady (Offaly, Round Towers)
Shane Tulley (Sligo, Naomh Mhuire)
Eoin Hamilton (Monaghan, Parnells)
John Joyce (r.i.p) (Galway, Parnells)
Kieran Gilhooley (Longford, Naomh Mhuire, Tir Connell Gaels)
Sean, Peter, Liam & Danny Mc Grellis (Derry, Naomh Mhuire)
Michael Connacur (Roscommon, Naomh Mhuire)
Senan snr, Senan jnr and Paul Hehir (Clare, Parnells & Tara)
Dean Nullec (some pokey hole in Armagh, St Brendans)

The best footballers i played with or against in 12 years in London were Michael Connacur, Sean Mc Grellis and Pat Rafter. Not sure if Rafter played county in Ireland but he should have and Roscommon and Derry would have been better teams if the other two boys had stayed at home.

played' 2 games with john mitchels in 93ish. It was too much hassle between the pints. IntoDwest had a longer carrer with them

May have boxed with Intodwest in the early nineties if his first name is Michael?
Don't Panic

irunthev

Pretty comprehensive list their Passedit, pulled out a few I had forgotten about, although you are probably only showing your age by doing that  :o Only one contradiction to it. If I remember correctly, you were more often the boxed than the boxer.  :D

Horatio Kane

Played for Tara from 84-88, can remember playing against Plunkett Donaghy and Joe Brolly...Garryowen i think (wore galway like jersey)....took your life in your hands every time you played.

passedit

QuoteOnly one contradiction to it. If I remember correctly, you were more often the boxed than the boxer

I'll know where to go if i ever need a defence witness.   ;)

In all honesty, i've had a fair few slaps over the years, most of them well warranted, but very few in London, contrary to what Horatio says I always found London football fairly soft and this is in comparison to Down which is not exactly noted for it's robustness either.
Don't Panic

irunthev

Brolly played for Moindearg back in his student days, while Plunkett Donaghy played for Garryowen Others to play for Garryowen around about then included Johnny Owens (Carlow and Tyrone) .. he had some link with Plunkett Donaghy; the legend that is Eddie Duffy (Tyrone), Eamon Prenter of Antrim (current UCD coach and Chairman of Club Antrim), Ger "Baby Jesus" Regan of Cork and Liam Irwin (Laois I think).

intoDwest

I played with the Mitchels between 94 and 98 whenever Tom Connelly could get me out of the Student Union!!!

irunthev

Connelly or "Creeping Jesus" as he is often referred to, is still about and stood for Chairman the other day: polled 14 votes I think.
He is now part of the Gabriels Hurling Club. He's an intelligent man, but it's hard to get past the Creeping Jesus thing

intoDwest

lol!!  are you serious about the Gabriels?? did he have the backing of Brendie and the boys???

Tom is a sound man, spot on man!!!