Who has played in London, for whom and when?

Started by irunthev, December 11, 2006, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Others links with London, once removed though, include

Andy Carr – brother of Ross Carr
Kevin and Eamon Blayney – brothers of Greg
Paul Hegarty – brother of Paddy and Noel
Sean Woods – son of Monaghan legend Sean
Sean Doherty – son of Dublin's full back Sean
Bryan Foley – brother of Dominic (soccer)
Kevin Barry – brother of Longford's Dessie

des4664

Played for Wembley Gaels as a teenager in early 1980's until 1986. Learnt the game from good, solid footballers and great characters. Won Intermediate Championship in 1983 and went to the final of Senior Championship the following year. Played out of St Josephs Club, Wembley, with the Royal Oak, Harlesden as a second home, and The Grapevine for when pubs were shut between 3 and 7 on the Sunday. Had our own pitch at Northwick Park where we trained Tuesday and Thursday. Top dogs at that time were Martin Diggins' Parnells, Tom Roche's An Riocht and Tirconnail Gaels. Hated the trip to New Eltham, (walking through the spectators, across open ground wearing only a towel, from the cold showers back to the changing rooms) which was thankfully less common in the Senior grade. Ruislip was like Croke Park in comparison. Sad to see the Gaels fold in the 1990s.

All of a Sludden

Anyone know if Sean Treacys (Balham/Streatham) still have a football team? They were mainly a hurling team, but they also had a team of drinkers who sometimes managed a game of football.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

haranguerer

Quote from: Dubh driocht on December 11, 2006, 08:04:48 PM
Sorry to hear about Naomh Mhuire. Suppose we can't have it everyway:back then Ireland was economically poor and the road to London was well worn ,now, there's plenty of work here and the attractions of London are limited. However, there was a great pride in being Irish and a determination to keep the games going. Pat Griffin played a big part in it and ,irunthev,if you see him , tell him a Downman sends his regards.

Well, at least Naomh Mhuire should be saved....

irunthev

Sean Treacy's haven't had a football team in more than a dozen years... one of the 25 plus clubs to go during the Celtic Tiger. So many names disappeared.
I remember well the walk with the towel in New Eltham and also picking up two of my teeth from the goalmouth there in 1985. New Eltham is a pitiful looking place now. Re Wembley Gaels... the McGees from Donegal were big noises with them at the time and another fella called Tommy Mimna from Cavan was also prominent. I think a bloke called JP Duffy played with them too and Declan Moffat (Not Tommy Tiernan's best mate)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Played a couple of games for Thomas Mc Curtains (Seven Kings) in the late eighties, but as usual, my exquisite talents went almost totally unnoticed!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

irunthev

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 06, 2011, 02:34:35 PM
Played a couple of games for Thomas Mc Curtains (Seven Kings) in the late eighties, but as usual, my exquisite talents went almost totally unnoticed!  :D

Oh you do under-sell yourself. They're still talking about you now! Maybe not exactly how you'd want to be talked about..... but they're talking.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Thanks for that irunthev, though I'll need to summon all the powers of self-persuasion to believe that I'm remembered for something other than that night when... Oops!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

des4664

Quote from: irunthev on July 06, 2011, 01:56:02 PM
Sean Treacy's haven't had a football team in more than a dozen years... one of the 25 plus clubs to go during the Celtic Tiger. So many names disappeared.
I remember well the walk with the towel in New Eltham and also picking up two of my teeth from the goalmouth there in 1985. New Eltham is a pitiful looking place now. Re Wembley Gaels... the McGees from Donegal were big noises with them at the time and another fella called Tommy Mimna from Cavan was also prominent. I think a bloke called JP Duffy played with them too and Declan Moffat (Not Tommy Tiernan's best mate)