DOWN V SLIGO DIV 3 thread

Started by SLIGONIAN, January 29, 2008, 07:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Firstly I need directions to park esler coming from Sligo. Im from North SLIGO so will going through castleblayney belleek then newry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tough game for us. We are not a league team. Last yr I was very frustrated watching us. I think we will struggle. Although I didnt rate Down (up till last wend) as they have been poor last few yrs I watched mckenna cup and they looked good. A way ahead of us in fitness and sharpness from what I could see compared to our FBD league performances. The half forward no 12 impressed me. Defence held bradley quiet and look physical enough side. Down for me are the favourites. Doyle will have the freedom of the pitch if mcnamara starts chb for us. Egan is injured and s davey is retired so 2 big losses already for us. Coulter will be back for down but may be on bench. This will be a seriously tough div with any of the 8 teams could get relegated. Hope a decent support turns up for Sligo.  Although aertel have it down for sunday at 2.30 I presume thats a mistake and its under lights at 7.00 on sat.. could be a long dark drive home but hope not.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Pangurban

Fair play to you for making that long journey on Sat.night. A genuine supporter. We expect to win but Sligo are a good side and should provide a stern test. Check forecast before travelling, Snow predicted for Friday, game may not be playable

Onlooker

The GAA ground in Newry is on the Warrenpoint Road.

thewobbler

If you're coming in from that direction, keep driving along the Camlough road until you meet a fucked up little roundabout with 5 exits (ATS garage on right hand side, McDonnell's Railway Pub in front of you). Welcome to Newry. Take the third exit onto Monaghan Street (the main exit) and plough up that street for a while (you'll pass Friar Tuck's on your right - call in for a chicken burger on your way back, plenty of coleslaw). There is a traffic-lighted crossroads with Grounded Coffee Shop on your right and Bellini's pub on your left. Take a left here (one way system) and hang in the right lane. This road will veer to the right and onto Sugar Island (you'll pass another Friar Tuck's on your left) and then you'll come to another set of lights. You're kind of going straight through here (make sure you are in the right-hand lane), although it's straight through to the right, which will make more sense when you're there. You'll pass Country Firied Chicken and the Tall Man pub. Keep going, and get into the left-hand lane (you'll pass a Lidl on your left). At the next lights, make sure you are in the middle of the 3 lanes, signposted Warrenpoint and the South. Another 150 metres and you'll be at another set of lights, but before that delve into the left-hand filter lane and follow the road off to the left (signposted Warrenpoint). About 300 metres up this road, on the left, is McCoys Pub, the closest ale-house to the ground (although, there is a social club in the ground). Another 300 metres up the road, and you'll see Pairc Esler on your right.

By the way, you're mad in the head driving from Sligo to Newry on a Saturday night to watch football. Mad.

Leo

Quote from: thewobbler on January 29, 2008, 09:46:38 PM
If you're coming in from that direction, keep driving along the Camlough road until you meet a fucked up little roundabout with 5 exits (ATS garage on right hand side, McDonnell's Railway Pub in front of you). Welcome to Newry. Take the third exit onto Monaghan Street (the main exit) and plough up that street for a while (you'll pass Friar Tuck's on your right - call in for a chicken burger on your way back, plenty of coleslaw). There is a traffic-lighted crossroads with Grounded Coffee Shop on your right and Bellini's pub on your left. Take a left here (one way system) and hang in the right lane. This road will veer to the right and onto Sugar Island (you'll pass another Friar Tuck's on your left) and then you'll come to another set of lights. You're kind of going straight through here (make sure you are in the right-hand lane), although it's straight through to the right, which will make more sense when you're there. You'll pass Country Firied Chicken and the Tall Man pub. Keep going, and get into the left-hand lane (you'll pass a Lidl on your left). At the next lights, make sure you are in the middle of the 3 lanes, signposted Warrenpoint and the South. Another 150 metres and you'll be at another set of lights, but before that delve into the left-hand filter lane and follow the road off to the left (signposted Warrenpoint). About 300 metres up this road, on the left, is McCoys Pub, the closest ale-house to the ground (although, there is a social club in the ground). Another 300 metres up the road, and you'll see Pairc Esler on your right.

By the way, you're mad in the head driving from Sligo to Newry on a Saturday night to watch football. Mad.

With all the pub and chicken joints on this route he'll hardly make it to Greenbank. Better to turn into Patrick Street off Moanaghan Stree, go as far as Buttercrane SC, park there and wlak over the bridge. Quick exit too and plenty of bins for the chicken boxes.
Fierce tame altogether

SLIGONIAN

Thanks for the directions, sounds ackward enough to get to but will print off the directions.  Want to get as close to the grd as possible weather forecast says is it'll be baltic conditions so dont want to walk to far. Roads maybe dodgy and im learner driver so hopefully I get there and back in one piece. It looks a great surface on the tv but if ye hear its in doubt let me know on this thread. I'll check it at 2 on sat b4 we leave.

For any of yee who think Im mad Ive done more than this to get to a Sligo match. There is no sacrifice in my mind I just love my county in a unconditional kinda way although my heart is broken alot. To me this normal im devout leeds fan aswell and was working in london and had tickets to play off final in 2005 milllenium dome the same weekend munster won heniken. I was working in london at the time and Sligo were to play Galway in CSFC in salthill same day as leeds game. I decided to go to sligo game. I flew back to sligo and drove to sligo match to salthill with my Dad and game was FF Called off and I was in the grd soaked. It was probably the only time in my life i thought ya I am mad to be doing this. Dont think the players realise the effort fans do in the name of there county. Did the same the weekend after. Its the chance and hope of winning that drives me to these games and what can I say it got rewarded last yr when we won connaght. 19 yrs of not missing a championship game for sligo on home soil and seeing the hammerings, last min goals, ref mistakes and were released that day in my  emotions. ah what a day.i wouldnt have swapped places with anyone that day and some people live all there lives and never get close to that feeling...and I want more.. sorry it brings such great memories back but I'll stop there. New Yr and hopefully more trophies lie ahead of us.

Will there be a change of kit? Both kits are very alike.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 29, 2008, 11:01:35 PM
Will there be a change of kit? Both kits are very alike.

Well one team has a black jersey and the other one has a red one. ;D

Owenmoresider

Quote from: 5iveTimes on January 29, 2008, 11:25:45 PM
I dont want to lecture you, but a holder of a Southern Provisional license is not entitled to drive in the North, in fact he is not really entitled to drive in the South either.
Is that the case? Even accompanied? Ah well, at least that is one problem I won't have for much longer. ;D

Re the trip, doubt I'll be making it. Would have liked to, never been to Newry or its surrounds (was in Newcastle in '05) but it's a long journey for a Saturday night, wasn't home from Cavan til near midnight last year. If the conditions are as described then it's def a non-runner.

Oh, and we'll be beaten too. I'd find it hard to see any other outcome.

amallon

SLIGONIAN - I'd recommend you come the way 5iveTimes recommends.  I know the road from Sligo to Enniskillen is a twisty head wrecker but you will have a good straight run on well gritted roads from Enniskillen they whole way to Newry.  Enniskillen to Newry should take you 1hr 45min driving right at the speed limit.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

armaghniac

QuoteI know the road from Sligo to Enniskillen is a twisty head wrecker

Well it is nothing compared to the Blayney - Newtown road, which has been described as "drivers road". Not ideal for an inexperienced driver in darkness or wintry conditions.

The new stand in Pairc Esler will be grand but is not an easy ground to get near to.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

5 Sams

My advice for what its worth....park in the town and walk to the ground you'll save time believe me.

Looking forward to this game....there is a great buzz about the place during night games and when you are playing well its even better.

Fair play to the lad for making the trek....I'll never forget doing something similar in the opposite direction for Paddy O'Rourke's last game :-\ :-\ :-\
The Aristocrat Years

downredblack

Was it Sligo in Newcastle that POR had a bit of a shoulder with a big hallion on the Sligo bench ? :o

amallon

Quote from: downredblack on January 30, 2008, 12:27:42 PM
Was it Sligo in Newcastle that POR had a bit of a shoulder with a big hallion on the Sligo bench ? :o

That was every game!  I remember him having a real good shouldering match with the then Wicklow manager down in Aughrim.  DJ seems to have taken over responsibility for getting into the faces of opposition mangers, subs, linesmen, refs, 3rd officials and any supporters stupid enough to question him. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

downredblack

Quote from: amallon on January 30, 2008, 12:39:53 PM
Quote from: downredblack on January 30, 2008, 12:27:42 PM

That was every game!  I remember him having a real good shouldering match with the then Wicklow manager down in Aughrim.  DJ seems to have taken over responsibility for getting into the faces of opposition mangers, subs, linesmen, refs, 3rd officials and any supporters stupid enough to question him. 

Big Skullion got all he wanted down there as well that day .
On DJ did anyone actually hear what he said to McCartan Snr. that day in Newcastle ?

magpie seanie

Have been to Newry twice to see Sligo and a colder place I've never been in. Was thawed out about Wednesday each time. Will not be attending too many league games this year for various reasons and reckon this is a good one to miss. Survival in Div 3 and a good end to the league would satisfy me and set us up for the Connacht championship. Our style of play is not suited to winter football so anything better than that would be good progress.