Ian Paisley Junior to resign?

Started by heganboy, January 29, 2008, 03:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

from slugger o toole

http://sluggerotoole.com/index.php/weblog/comments/rumour-mill-talk-about-resignation/

This one, as ever comes with a health warning... Rumour is not news... But Slugger hears from a Nationalist source that Ian Paisley Junior may tender his resignation as Junior Minister tomorrow... If it proved to be accurate, it could be indicative of a substantive shift in the internal balance of power inside the party. It would almost certainly be of some relief to his ministerial colleague Arlene Foster, who Mark Devenport has conjectured may use to tomorrow to pull permission (that she was previously minded to grant) to Seymour Sweeney for a privately funded Visitors Centre for the Giant's Causeway.

If both events turn up tomorrow, then it is suggestive of a party set piece: planned and orchestrated, perhaps with a few quiet deals lurking surreptitiously in the background. The downgrading of Ian Junior may buy Senior some time and space to take unhurried leave of the leadership of a party that is growing frustrated with his unwillingness or incapacity to play an increasingly subtle and nuanced game, now they are in a politically tricky partnership with Sinn Fein.

As he nears his eighty second birthday, his once almost faultless command of the semiotics of Unionism appears to be failing him. And having lent, as Tom Kelly hints in the Irish News today, (and Alex Kane outlined last Thursday) his imprimatur to the St Andrews Agreement, and his considerable powers as a totem for Ulster Loyalism greatly diminished by his Chuckle Brothers double act with Martin McGuinness, Ian Paisley Senior now has little of any value with which to barter with his party.

Whether tomorrow brings a resignation or not, it seems the power within the party has long since passed out of Paisley family hands.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Orior

Ah jeez. If he does go then who step up to provide the comedy factor?

The Chuckle brothers need an Itchy and Scratchy interlude. Donaldson once smiled in 1978, and Dodds is rumoured to have grinned on his wedding night. Of course Sammy is never glum when he's naked, but his birthday suit look terrible creased. I reckon I could have Arlene singing, but even I'm not prepared to give her one for the team.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

nifan

If hes quick he can get into the mcdonalds a level

passedit

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 29, 2008, 05:00:51 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 29, 2008, 04:14:23 PM

The Chuckle brothers need an Itchy and Scratchy interlude. Donaldson once smiled in 1978, and Dodds is rumoured to have grinned on his wedding night. Of course Sammy is never glum when he's naked, but his birthday suit look terrible creased. I reckon I could have Arlene singing, but even I'm not prepared to give her one for the team.
Between her and Iris Robinson, it's little wonder that Paul Berry grew fond of male masseurs.

Says the man whose county gave us the lovely Aine.   ;D

Go on admit it ye've been caught with worse
Don't Panic

Owenmoresider

Between her and Iris Robinson, it's little wonder that Paul Berry grew fond of male masseurs.

johnneycool

Surely Peter is the main front runner at this point if Ian senior calls a halt.

Would wee Jeffrey be happy with a deputy role?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: passedit on January 29, 2008, 04:58:36 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 29, 2008, 05:00:51 PM

Says the man whose county gave us the lovely Aine.   ;D

Go on admit it ye've been caught with worse
This is as far removed from LL's "Would you?" thread as could be, but anyway:

In fairness to Aine, she does try her best. But you could say the same for the Leitrim hurlers.

Doogie Browser

If this report is true (and I doubt that it is) could this be seen as a shift over here, insofar as Politicians will actually start to be held to account for their actions?  Very rarely a Politician has actually resigned their position for a misdemeanour during the course of their duties over here, there is the usual arrogance from them all when they were under pressure before.
Don't think in the course of any administrations post 1998 any Minister has resigned over here?  Contrast that with the level of sleaze related resignations in the Dail or at Westminister

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 29, 2008, 05:23:42 PM
Contrast that with the level of sleaze related resignations in the Dail or at Westminister
*Cough* Bertie *Cough*

Sure the bollox had to browbeat Ivor Callely into resigning, hadn't the cojones to use his 'constitutional perogative'.

In fairness to the Brits, if they are caught that is it. Hain, Mandelson, half the Tories etc.

Doogie Browser

Generally the Tories have no choice, the Orange in the mouth usually swings it for them, that or the Gimp suit!

Evil Genius

Don't think in the course of any administrations post 1998 any Minister has resigned over here?  Contrast that with the level of sleaze related resignations in the Dail or at Westminister

The thing is, there hasn't really been a trough for them to dip their snout into in NI until fairly recently - all the power/money/influence still effectively lay either in Hillsborough Castle or Whitehall.

Give them time (though I doubt they could ever catch up on Bertie and his boys in the Dail  ;))
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

heganboy

QuoteI doubt they could ever catch up on Bertie and his boys in the Dail

never know it could end up being the same trough...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Evil Genius

Quote from: heganboy on January 29, 2008, 06:10:53 PM
QuoteI doubt they could ever catch up on Bertie and his boys in the Dail

never know it could end up being the same trough...

So that's why Fianna Fail are organising in NI! They want their share of the swill before the Chuckle Brothers get it all... ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Solomon Kane

If this report is true (and I doubt that it is) could this be seen as a shift over here, insofar as Politicians will actually start to be held to account for their actions?  Very rarely a Politician has actually resigned their position for a misdemeanour during the course of their duties over here, there is the usual arrogance from them all when they were under pressure before.

Exactly right, and if Baby-Doc falls on his sword it is a positive sign that things are moving in a normal direction here.

Perhaps he should have had a word with Bertie before mixing his personal interests with his job. ;)

armaghniac

QuotePerhaps he should have had a word with Bertie before mixing his personal interests with his job.

Indeed, like Bertie or loath him any politician can learn from him.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B