Spides take it to new heights.......

Started by The Gs Man, January 27, 2008, 07:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

(See what I did there?)

Seen this on the news earlier.  Mad feckers....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7211781.stm

QuoteFour arrested after scaling crane 

One of the men is seen outside the cab 
Four men have been arrested after they scaled a massive crane in Belfast city centre.
A number of roads were closed in the area for several hours while a rescue operation was launched.

Members of the Fire Service's rescue support unit helped take the men down the crane, which is on the site for a new hotel off Bedford Street.

One of the men was seen sitting out on the arm of the crane, which is hundreds of feet up.

The youths were aged 17, 18, 20 and 23.

A number of fire appliances attended the scene and police cordoned off several streets in the city centre.

The emergency services criticised the four youths for tying up police and fire crews, who spent several hours at the scene.

'Climbed up the outside'

Police said the prank had been "madness" and had diverted much needed resources away from other calls for several hours.

The youths climbed up the outside of the tower crane to bypass gates on its internal ladder, which were locked off.

They were spotted a short time after they reached the top. Two of them climbed down voluntarily, two others stayed put and a fire and rescue ropes team, trained to carry out operations at height, were sent up.

Emergency services spent several hours at the scene

Superintendent Mark Purdon, who co-ordinated the police operation, said: "I think the only way that I could describe it is madness.

"These people actually climbed up the outside of this crane. That is how they got past the locks and the doors that there are to prevent people going up the inside of the crane.

"They could have fallen at any stage and they would have killed themselves."

Keep 'er lit

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

screenexile

I also heard on the news last night "One of the men told the police that he refused to come down until they brought him a pizza". Anybody know the craic with these wasters? Are we even sure they were spides?

Hardy

Why is it the police's, or anyone else's job to get them down? If they were able to get up, let them get down the same way. The police's only job should be to clear the area underneath in case they fall on someone.

johnneycool

Quote from: screenexile on January 28, 2008, 09:15:44 AM
I also heard on the news last night "One of the men told the police that he refused to come down until they brought him a pizza". Anybody know the craic with these wasters? Are we even sure they were spides?

The cops should of just set out 4 body bags and asked the young lads if they wouldn't mind jumping as close to the bags as possible to save them a load of shoveling