Suck-up Bono

Started by Seamus, January 26, 2008, 12:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamus

"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

muppet

Funny thing about TruthNews and similar sites, there is a serious lack of truth. Start by clicking the link to the story about 100 prominent scientists. Without that the rest of the article is merely a personal attack. BTW Bono's 25 year old car is a Merc not an SUV.

Any chance of an objective view on the subject? Bono and Gore are not above criticism but the TruthNews sort of shite moves them a lot closer to righteousness.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

QuoteBTW Bono's 25 year old car is a Merc not an SUV.

Jaysus the amount of blow by that thing must be putting into the air is going to kill us all,
  it's a wonder he doesn't know that since he seems to be an expert on everything else  :D

Funny enough i was going to ask if Gore had died or something, hasn't been seen or heard from
in a while, maybe it has something to do with the severe winter weather patterns we're seeing
in various parts of the world since Christmas ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Yes, because more severe weather patterns has not been a predicted effect of climate change. ::)

Tyrones own

Silly me, here i was thinking that Gore was possibly using seasonal climate change
   to support his hunger for attention, you know hot and heavy during the hot summer months
   then poof, gone over the winter with little mention of Global warming from anyone, hardly even
   of much importance in the presidential primaries.
   Of course one could say that he could head off south of the equator this time of year but you see
   the damned weather patterns there aren't in line either with his dooms day views, so bury the head
   in the sand for now then hit the ground running again come May time with his sheep in tow like he
   never missed a beat ::)
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

And there I was thinking that all the publicity coincided with the release of his film and speculation about a potential presidential run.

The reason it isn't mentioned much in the presidential primaries is that in terms of issues affecting the election, no one really gives a bollocks, as it comes down to making sacrifices here and now for a potential gain years in the future.

As to the weather patterns, the theory is that overall mean temperatures across the planet are rising and that this is and will amplify the severity of various phenomena such as winter storms, droughts, hurricanes and so on, as well as knock-on effects such as ice melting, biome shifts etc. The cessation of winter weather is not predicted, no matter what Rush Limbaugh or Matt Drudge or any of the other wingnuts would have you believe.

Tyrones own

QuoteAnd there I was thinking that all the publicity coincided with the release of his film and speculation about a potential presidential run.

Exactly, now you're getting it! The movie has come and gone and who knows maybe he has figured out that Hillbilly are too strong for him.
This only strengthens my point of 3 months ago, his silence is now deafening!

QuoteThe reason it isn't mentioned much in the presidential primaries is that in terms of issues affecting the election, no one really gives a bollocks,

So they're all a bunch of hypocrites then.....  Right?  we were facing dooms day back during these past few months J70 with Bush not doing enough, they even
had Santa drowning with the ice caps melting FFS, the Dems had lots to say then  ::)

Quoteno matter what Rush Limbaugh or Matt Drudge or any of the other wingnuts would have you believe.

:D
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 26, 2008, 09:02:05 PM

QuoteAnd there I was thinking that all the publicity coincided with the release of his film and speculation about a potential presidential run.

Exactly, now you're getting it! The movie has come and gone and who knows maybe he has figured out that Hillbilly are too strong for him.
This only strengthens my point of 3 months ago, his silence is now deafening!

You've lost me here. You were saying earlier that he was silent because we're now in the winter time.

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 26, 2008, 09:02:05 PM
QuoteThe reason it isn't mentioned much in the presidential primaries is that in terms of issues affecting the election, no one really gives a bollocks,

So they're all a bunch of hypocrites then.....  Right?  we were facing dooms day back during these past few months J70 with Bush not doing enough, they even
had Santa drowning with the ice caps melting FFS, the Dems had lots to say then  ::)

No, while I do think that a Democratic president would do a lot more than the Republicans in this area, there are issues that are of far more importance to the average voter than this at the moment. That was my point. It will come up again once the primaries are over and the debate is between the two parties, not within them.

Tyrones own

QuoteYou've lost me here. You were saying earlier that he was silent because we're now in the winter time.

OK let me break it down for you, my initial question was "where is Gore by the way"? being that he is awfully quiet of late
   what with dooms day looming an all, then with a little hint of sarcasm, being that it was a point i made a few months back on the global warming thread,
   you stated;

To which I'll say again, the fact that he has gone quiet on this, "the biggest threat to mankind" only validates the point made back then, that it was either
  to bring publicity to the movie or the much needed support of a presidential run.
  You're not that easily lost J70, except when it suits ;)

- Walter Lippmann

J70

There was a huge swell of support last summer for a Gore run. He would have been a very formidable candidate in the Democratic primaries, had he decided to go for it. If your point is that his only motivation for raising awareness of global warming was to boost his chances for a presidential run, I think you're talking shite in all honesty. He easily had enough support to get in if he wanted to - he's obviously chosen not to. He's been campaigning on environmental issues for years, often to a very unreceptive audience. Why the hell would someone who was cynically using the environment to rally people choose an issue that a large section of society is totally unwilling to address? Do you think he enjoys labels like "environmental whacko" that the likes of Limbaugh sticks on him to inflame his angry white christian audience?

Tyrones own

QuoteIf your point is that his only motivation for raising awareness of global warming was to boost his chances for a presidential run, I think you're talking shite in all honesty.

1) No, my initial point was that he was nothing short of an attention whore, blowing global warming way out of proportion
with his scaremongering, that and to publicise a movie.

2) You still seem to want to side step the real point of my post,  Where the hell is he? is Global warming a non issue now?

3) You seem to know a lot of what Limbaugh has to say, if you don't like him or his views then why listen to him?

- Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 27, 2008, 04:27:11 PM

QuoteIf your point is that his only motivation for raising awareness of global warming was to boost his chances for a presidential run, I think you're talking shite in all honesty.

1) No, my initial point was that he was nothing short of an attention whore, blowing global warming way out of proportion
with his scaremongering, that and to publicise a movie.

You're entitled to your opinion. The scientists seem to think its a very serious problem, even if some think Gore emphasised the worst-case scenarios and there is disagreement on how to best deal with it. I'll go with the scientists.

2) You still seem to want to side step the real point of my post,  Where the hell is he? is Global warming a non issue now?

How the hell do I know where he is? Maybe he's researching a new book. Maybe he's working away meeting with experts and government officials. Maybe he's taking a break. Or just maybe he's old news in the middle of primary season.

I don't think anyone is saying global warming is a non-issue. Its simply one that is not newsworthy at the moment in the US. It will reappear once the general election campaign begins, believe me.

3) You seem to know a lot of what Limbaugh has to say, if you don't like him or his views then why listen to him?

You don't think its a good idea to keep abreast of what such an enormously influential figure has to say, particularly one who is (IMO) as nakedly biased and given to distortion and demonization as Limbaugh?

Tyrones own

QuoteYou're entitled to your opinion.

Thank you, however the promptness to quickly rebut any point I ever make makes me wonder sometimes.

QuoteIts simply one that is not newsworthy at the moment in the US.

Just perhaps it never should have been to the extent that it was.

QuoteYou don't think its a good idea to keep abreast of what such an enormously influential figure has to say, particularly one who is (IMO) as nakedly biased and given to distortion and demonization as Limbaugh?

Actually i do however for me it is hard to listen to the Colmes' and some other less notables and keep a straight face.
On the subject of Limbaugh and the other right wing nuts as they are commonly referred to around here, how come the
soft left are mounting huge campaigns to silence the right wing talk radio in America today, what is it they're afraid of? are they're
incapable of holding there own to the facts of what is talked about on a daily basis on both sides especially the nationally cindicated
programmes. Trying to silence them rather than debate any of them speaks volumes,.......... imo or course
Thankfully freedom of speech is alive and well.... for now  ::)  
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 27, 2008, 07:49:26 PM

QuoteYou're entitled to your opinion.

Thank you, however the promptness to quickly rebut any point I ever make makes me wonder sometimes.

Why? I don't attempt to rebut your opinions out of some principle or personal animus. You seem like a nice fellow to me. If I disagree with something someone says, I give my opinion, that's all.

QuoteIts simply one that is not newsworthy at the moment in the US.

Just perhaps it never should have been to the extent that it was.

It is certainly newsworthy as long as the science is accurately reported and interpreted in the media. If you are happy enough to put it on the long finger, fine - its up to those who see it as a serious problem to persuade the unconvinced, or least the intellectually honest among the unconvinced.

QuoteYou don't think its a good idea to keep abreast of what such an enormously influential figure has to say, particularly one who is (IMO) as nakedly biased and given to distortion and demonization as Limbaugh?

Actually i do however for me it is hard to listen to the Colmes' and some other less notables and keep a straight face.
On the subject of Limbaugh and the other right wing nuts as they are commonly referred to around here, how come the
soft left are mounting huge campaigns to silence the right wing talk radio in America today, what is it they're afraid of? are they're
incapable of holding there own to the facts of what is talked about on a daily basis on both sides especially the nationally cindicated
programmes. Trying to silence them rather than debate any of them speaks volumes,.......... imo or course
Thankfully freedom of speech is alive and well.... for now  ::) 

I don't think anyone should be silenced. I do think everyone should be challenged though. Talk radio (whatever the flavour) is about as far from honest, open debate as it is possible to get.

And yes, Colmes is an embarrassment. Its easy to see why Hannity keeps him around.

Tyrones own

Fair enough then, we just have a different stance on how it's reported.
There is no doubt in my mind that it is happening but just haven't quite read
anything solid enough to convince me that it's solely mans fault and that it may
be nothing more than a natural phenomenon, we've been here before...
The scientific findings for both arguments are equally as strong depending on the
scientist' interpretation of the findings IMO.
  - Walter Lippmann