Belfast nightclub bans "jumpers with horizontal stripes"

Started by Minder, January 26, 2008, 09:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Not everything in Belfast is changing for the better, a city that is becoming so far stuck up its own arse.....

Nightclub fashion police By Diana Rusk
26/01/08
Fashion victim: Ian Latimer was recently turned away from the newly opened Scratch nightclub because he was wearing a jumper with horizontal stripes.

Doormen at a Belfast nightclub have turned fashion police in a bid to ban striped jumpers from the dance floor.

Bouncers at the newly-opened Scratch nightclub on Lower Crescent have ruled that the popular jumper design doesn't fit in to their idea of 'smart/casual'.

Security staff have been told not to allow revellers wearing the familiar style of sweater through their doors at the venue, previously The Fly, as it launches a new image.

One customer, business director Ian Latimer fell foul of the new dress code during a recent night out.

The 31-year-old was only allowed in once he changed his clothes.

"I had got out of the taxi and went to the bouncer to ask where the nearest bank machine was and after telling me it was around the corner, he said, 'By the way, you won't get in with that top on, because it has horizontal stripes.'

"I think probably 99 per cent of men aged 25 to 35 in Northern Ireland got a stripey jumper for Christmas from their mother, sister or girlfriend and it is ridiculous to say that a 'certain classification of person wears it'."

Scratch duty manager, Damien Cole said: "We have a policy for smart/casual and striped jumpers are not considered to be smart/casual."
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Smokin Joe

Ian Latimer - think I wmight have been at Uni with him.

The Watcher Pat

Just tell him it's not a striped top its a hooped  top.....Lol

Guess i wont get in there with my Celtic top then....

What sort of name for a nite club is scratch anyway? Sounds more like a dose of something!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pintsofguinness

Why would you wear horizontal stripes, it makes you look fat, everyone knows that!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Gs Man

horizontal stripes should be banned everywhere, not just nightclubs.  Flowery shirts are the way to go now.
Keep 'er lit

J70

Has everyone in the north started wearing horizontal striped jumpers?

Puckoon

Both the boys from belfast that went home for christmas came back  here with horizontal striped jumpers. I have a couple from christmas 06, good job I dont frequent the nightclubs.

Gabriel_Hurl

Puckoon

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 26, 2008, 06:21:58 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 26, 2008, 05:27:38 PM
Even I got two horizontal striped jumpers for Christmas!

That should sort it out as a fashion symbol fairly lively.

How do you know you are getting old?
Your dad asks if youd like to borrow his jumper and you say yes.

Maguire01

I was actually in the place on the opening night, unintentionally.  It's not up to much.  Was a work night out, otherwise it's not the kind of place i'd go to.  About 10 of us turned up at the door after being at a restaurant nearby and the door staff were telling us it was going to be packed and we hadn't got tickets, but we could try coming back in 45 minutes (!)  Anyway, there were a number of females in our group and they persuaded them to let us in.  I don't know where they were expecting the crowds from, but they never came! Was nothing special anyway, although Isaac Boss and Neil Best were in attendance - i'm assuming they had the golden tickets!

The Gs Man

Have they f**k. (well, have I f**k.)
Keep 'er lit

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 26, 2008, 06:21:58 PM
Even I got two horizontal striped jumpers for Christmas!

I got one with Diamonds a few years ago  :-\
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rav67

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 26, 2008, 06:46:31 PM

Have they f**k. (well, have I f**k.)

They were all the rage for a while I loved them, kinda died out unfortunately!

Belfast bouncers still nowhere near as bad as those in Dublin for being picky and ignorant about who gets in (apart from the tossers at the Odyssey of course).