NFL Div. 4

Started by AZOffaly, January 25, 2008, 03:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

ah I dunno blasmere. It's only worth a punt if they have a decent chance, and I think there are 4 or 5 better teams in that division.

blasmere

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 28, 2008, 04:27:52 PM
ah I dunno blasmere. It's only worth a punt if they have a decent chance, and I think there are 4 or 5 better teams in that division.

I just thought based on their performance against Dublin last week, they would be capable of beating the majority of teams in this division, and at those odds, they're pretty tempting, 1/3 e/w for a place in the first two
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

AZOffaly

True. Wasn't thinking of the each way to be honest. Even so, based on the fact that I'd rate Offaly, Antrim, Wicklow and Clare at least ahead of them. Their second display against the Dubs may have been more reflective.

Lone Shark

The 50/1 about Carlow was an old price re-activated for some unknown technical reason. All that said I've a sneaking suspicion that they have a long way to go. Remember how good Micko's Wicklow looked in this last year?

An eight point loss to a second string Dublin side at home wouldn't inspire either. I think it's just a case of high profile right now - I'd still rate Waterford higher than them, with the top four still well out in front.

Zulu

I thought Carlows win was a surprise also especially down in Clare.

Maguire01

Good win for Antrim, considering most people reckon it's between them and Wicklow for the second place promotion.

AZOffaly

Big game this weekend now. After Carlow did the business down in Clare, a win for Offaly in Dr. Cullen Park would be an important result.

Week 2 Fixtures

Antrim v Kilkenny at Casement Park. Should be a handy win for the Glensmen. When did they last do the double over Kilkenny? :D
Tipperary v Clare at Ardfinnan. Big win for Tipp the last day, but probably learned nothing. Clare learned more against Carlow, but did they learn enough? I'll say Clare here.
Carlow v Offaly at Dr. Cullen Park. Similar to Tipp, Offaly had a big, but meaningless, win over London. Carlow had a quality win in Ennis. So now, how good are Offaly? We're about to find out. I'll go with them, but very hesitantly.
Waterford v Wicklow at Fraher Field. Debut for Waterford this weekend against a Wicklow team smarting after losing at home to Antrim. Wicklow to bounce back.

stevecw

The Carlow-Offaly game this Saturday is huge in Div 4. I reckon its 2 of Carlow, Offaly & Antrim for promotion. So whoever wins Saturday is well on the way to Div 3 & stayin clear of that dreaded Tommy Murphy Cup!

Offaly had the expected win last weekend, not much can be learned from that kinda game. Carlow had a great win down in Clare. 5 minutes into 2nd half we were 2 pts down, a man down & playing into a gale force wind..it looked bad for us. Clare then got a man sent off, so it was 14 v 14. And in the next 10/15 mins the Carlow lads played brilliantly and hit 1-4 without reply to go 1-10 - 0-8 ahead. Then in the last few mins Clare lost the head & got 2 guys sent off. It was as good and commited a Carlow performance as ive ever seen. Long way from our last league game where we lost by 11 pts to London, or our TM Cup game in June where we conceded 8-10 to Waterford! :o

So Saturdays game should be close, hopefully we get back a couple of the guys who picked up injuries in the draw with Dublin in Parnell Park. Simon Rea our top forward & Paul Cashin the captain, might be back. That would be good boost. Looking forward to game & it will tell so much about where both teams are at.

AZOffaly

Good man stevecw. Good to see a scallion ater on board :D

Who got sent off for ye in Clare?

stevecw

I said i may join eventually!! Been on hoganstand & fearrua 4 ages. Been looking in here for a while, so said id add a Carlow voice to the site!

Brian Farrell, a quality Fb or corner back...been a rock in defence for us 4 years got the straight red. Was his 1st game back after injury & he was 2 mins on the field when he went to block down a shot with both hands...ball went past him...his hands got the Clare guy in the face & the crazy ref gave him straight red. The ref..2 mins later gave a Clare guy a 2nd yellow for a slightly late tackle. 14 v 14 was when we took over, played so well & banged in 1-4 without reply all into a serious wind & rain at the time.
We stayed well in control...Clare lost another guy about 10 mins left...straight red for something he said :o Seemed harsh. But by then they had no way back.

Game Saturday should be interesting. As an Offaly guy im sure you were at that joke of a championship game last June in Portlaoise!!! We were a total mess then, but Paul Bealin & his selectors have really got things going here...and we'd fancy our chances of winning despite the crazy odds being offered by PP.
10/3 Carlow v 2/7 Offaly!!
Good odds i might add to the 33/1 i got for us to win div 4 in december. Now only 7/1!!

AZOffaly

QuoteAs an Offaly guy im sure you were at that joke of a championship game last June in Portlaoise!!!

I certainly was, but I'm under no preconceptions about next weekend because of it. Ye were a total mess off the field back then, and didn't do yourselves justice.

10/3 is mad odds for Carlow at home. Ye beat us down there in the qualifiers a couple of years ago. That was some gutless display.

stevecw

Yes we actually have more of the team that beat ye in the qualifiers a couple of years back playing now than last years side.
Last year we had basically a Carlow reserve team playing...all the best lads stayed away. And results were that London lge game, the Offaly horror show & by the time we got to TM Cup V Waterford i could have got a game. Txts were being sent that day to get 15 down to Waterford. Result we lost 8-10 to 0-7 & papers loved it!

But as you know AZ this weekend will be different story. Carlow are on a high...winning in Clare & Wexford already...drawing in Dublin. We are confident. But we know Offaly is the team to beat in Div 4. If we can win this game...we are well on the way. Offaly on the other hand, would expect to beat the likes of Carlow im sure. To be honest with the panel ye have, it should be Offaly promoted + 1 of Carlow, Antrim, & maybe Wicklow or Clare.
But still 10/3 are crazy odds in 2 horse race!! Im gonna have to have a bet!

Im sure u AZ will be in Dr Cullen Park Saturday...u reckon Offaly will have much of a crowd down?

AZOffaly

Quote from: stevecw on February 05, 2008, 09:25:27 PM
Yes we actually have more of the team that beat ye in the qualifiers a couple of years back playing now than last years side.
Last year we had basically a Carlow reserve team playing...all the best lads stayed away. And results were that London lge game, the Offaly horror show & by the time we got to TM Cup V Waterford i could have got a game. Txts were being sent that day to get 15 down to Waterford. Result we lost 8-10 to 0-7 & papers loved it!

But as you know AZ this weekend will be different story. Carlow are on a high...winning in Clare & Wexford already...drawing in Dublin. We are confident. But we know Offaly is the team to beat in Div 4. If we can win this game...we are well on the way. Offaly on the other hand, would expect to beat the likes of Carlow im sure. To be honest with the panel ye have, it should be Offaly promoted + 1 of Carlow, Antrim, & maybe Wicklow or Clare.
But still 10/3 are crazy odds in 2 horse race!! Im gonna have to have a bet!

Im sure u AZ will be in Dr Cullen Park Saturday...u reckon Offaly will have much of a crowd down?

I expect a very tough game for Offaly this weekend, and it will be interesting to see how far along the road they are. I cannot see Offaly getting 8 points from trips to Carlow, Wicklow, Antrim and Clare. However, a win this Saturday would be significant, and maybe they could start thinking along those lines.

I'm at a 30th Birthday Party in the wilds of South Kerry this weekend, so I won't make it to the game. I'd say there'll be a small enough Offaly crowd. Maybe a couple of hundred.

AZOffaly

Great win in carlow. Genuinely surprised by the margin. Hopefully it means offaly will storm to promotion. We'll see. Did antrim play Kilkenny?

Onlooker

Good win for Tipperary today against Clare.  The visitors led by 1-2 to 0-0 after about 10 minutes, but Tipp turned it around to be level at half time.  The 3rd quarter was pretty even, but Tipp finished stronger and were clearly the better team in the last 10 or 12 minutes.  Clare won the McGrath Cup a couple of weeks ago, beating Limerick in the Final, so they can't be that bad.   Tipp will be happy with this result, which was their best National League performance for a couple of years.  These first 2 weeks suggest that there is every chance that Offaly will win the Division comfortably enough, with a real battle for the second promotion place.