Stephen O'Neill retirement official

Started by Main Street, January 24, 2008, 07:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Mickey Harte used his programme notes for last weekend's NFL clash with Kildare to renew his invitation to Stephen O'Neill to return to the Red Hand football panel.
The Tyrone manager stressed that he hopes Tyrone supporters will get the opportunity to see the two-time All Star in action for the county again.
"He'd certainly be welcomed back and I still hope that the Tyrone supporters will get the chance to see his unique qualities displayed again in the Tyrone jersey," Harte told the Irish Examiner.
"The door is always open and both myself and the entire Tyrone squad would be delighted if Stephen changes his mind at any time in the future."
Last week O'Neill stunned the footballing world with the announcement of his retirement from inter-county at the tender age of 27.
Following Tyrone's moderate start to their NFL campaign the need for a quality forward such as O'Neill was brought sharply into focus.

This hasn't been talked about - a very diplomatic move on MH's part !

agorm

Maybe I did not see him enough but I am a little surprised at the adulation on this thread. Stephen O' Neill was good but to me he was not not as good as the Gooch, Giles, Geraghty, Canavan, McDonnell etc.

If he has to retire it is a shame considering he is young and Tyrone have lost a few players but Tyrone should be more worried about getting McGuigan back as he is a lhuge loss.

Puckoon

No maybe about it agorm.

Player of the year????? ??? ???

stephenite

He was sumptious in the summer of 2005 - best player in the land by a country mile. However, he never appeared to reproduce that form to that extent again, I know he had problems with injuries.

feetofflames

NAybody else hear the a fulltime Northwest soccor club has been putting a number of friendly visits to the O Neill household in the last 2 weeks.   
Chief Wiggum

tyroneman

QuoteMcDonnell

While he may not have been as prolific (on average) as young McDonnell,  SON's ability (and willingness) to actually pass the ball to a colleague made him a far better player than the Armagh sharpshooter.

I doubt anyone else, either has, or will, take Francie for 10 points either..............

corn02

A far better player? Will you get your head sorted man.

To suggest McDonnell is greedy is crazy aswell, if that is the case O'Neill is greedy too.

tyroneman

QuoteTo suggest McDonnell is greedy is crazy aswell

Get those blinkers off lad - I'm married to an Armagh woman, have been to numerous Armagh matches and had beers with many Armagh supporters - they ALL go on about how greedy McDonnell is

orangeman

Greedy ??? He'd need a ball of his own - but every team has one or two of them !!  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Aaron Boone

Meath West General Election 2007:

BRADY, Johnny  8868   21.9%   Elected       
CANTWELL, Phil  506   1.3%       
COLEMAN, Paul  127   0.3%         
COLLINS, Brian  1634   4.0%       
DEMPSEY, Noel  12006   29.7%   Elected       
ENGLISH, Damien  7227   17.9%   Elected       
FLANAGAN, Brian  1011   2.5%       
GERAGHTY, Graham  1284   3.2%         
HIGGINS, Peter  3234   8.0%       
REILLY, Joe  4567   11.3%   

new devil

Yea i know all that but he was never at the same level as SON

Fear ón Srath Bán

If Stevie had been as (relatively) injury-free as Geraghty there'd be no discussion now, simple as.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

corn02

No blinkers my man, I don't think he is greedy and any Armagh fan that calls him greedy is a fool in my opinion. He is the same type of footballer as O'Neill in the fact that they both like to win and the ball and turn and have a pop without looking for the pass. The reason I don't call either greedy is because both usually scored.