Paddywagon Attacked Again

Started by full back, January 24, 2008, 10:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

I hear it was completely burnt out earlier today while sitting outside a hostel in fitzwilliam street ...

pintsofguinness

That's unreal, what is wrong with those knobs?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

red hander

his holiness nb

I read the thread on OWC about the last time, not much condemnation about the arson attack itself, the majority were piping on about the stupidity of parking it there and also the possibility that it was part of insurance fraud.
And pretty much slating the company in general in a "what do you expect when you have a van with tricolours on it" etc etc kind of way.

Shocked to hear the attitudes to be honest, all sorts of posts bar any admitting there is a problem of bigotry in the Unionist community in the area thats responsible.

**beforre you go on, I aint saying one side is worse than the other**

Ask me holy bollix

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 09, 2008, 03:27:26 PM
I read the thread on OWC about the last time, not much condemnation about the arson attack itself, the majority were piping on about the stupidity of parking it there and also the possibility that it was part of insurance fraud.
And pretty much slating the company in general in a "what do you expect when you have a van with tricolours on it" etc etc kind of way.

Shocked to hear the attitudes to be honest, all sorts of posts bar any admitting there is a problem of bigotry in the Unionist community in the area thats responsible.

Well here's someone from OWC who has no problem stating that my community has its share of bigots - only an idiot would state otherwise.

And speaking of idiots, from earlier in this very thread:

Reply #4 by Pints of Guinness on: January 24, 2008, 12:36:01 PM ยป   
"The good thing to come out of this is that those tourists can see now that unionists are the real bigots in the north"

Tourists and Gays:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7234009.stm

[And before anyone jumps in, I'm not in any way claiming that the disgraceful events in the Creggan in some way mitigate, justify or deny the equally disgraceful events in Belfast]
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

GweylTah

The wanton destruction of these minibuses is disgraceful, whoever is doing it and whatever the motivation, and its also very damaging to NI's image.  Let's hope there's no more of it and that the culprits are caught and punished properly.

On Evil Genius's post about how bigoted attitudes aren't the exclusive reserve of one NI community or the other, the painting pink of THAT wall in the Bogside area was all very nice and pretty during Gay Price Week last summer, some communities are very good at PR and symbolism, but hatred and intolerance within still seem to be able to thrive. Not much point trying to show tolerance through window dressing when the goons are stilll engaging in pathetic hate-crimes is there.

Picking (repeatedly) on a couple who are not only gay but also elderly and one of them disabled.  Disgusting.

pintsofguinness

I don't know what you're on about EG, I expressed my view on that in the relevant thread.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Aerlik

Quote from: Pangurban on January 24, 2008, 08:50:10 PM
Does nobody think the corporate name of this tour company PADDYWAGON is racist or demeaning

Absolutely Pangurban.  Totally agree.  I have on many occasions stopped people telling "Irish jokes" when they are in full-flow.  Amazing how humble the smart arses then become.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

GweylTah

I can certainly see that there's an element of appealling about to the LCD / basic stereotypes in PaddyWagon's promotion, but is this harmful or harmless?

Are jokes about Cork people being thick, told by those from other parts of Ireland, or about Cavan or Ballymena people being mean and mserable, told by others in Ireland, OK then?

Or Polish jokes?  Or Jewish jokes (often told about themselves)?

Where does one draw the line?

Evil Genius

Quote from: hardstation on February 09, 2008, 03:53:41 PM
We already have a f**king thread for that, you pair of eejits. Whataboutery at it's best.

POG* used the Paddywagon attack as "proof" that "Unionists are the real bigots in the north", the implication being that Nationalists aren't really bigots. Upon spotting this, I pointed to an example from that very morning to demonstrate my argument that both communities have their share of bigots.

This is not "whataboutery", but perspective and balance. It would only be "whataboutery" if I had used the Creggan example in an attempt to excuse, mitigate or "justify" Unionist bigotry, or to deny that it exists, which my post expressly did not.

* - How ironic that POG's comment, which attampts to lump all Unionists as being the same (bigots), unlike their Nationalist counterparts (not bigots) itself reeks of bigotry. Ironic, though hardly surprising, mind, if his other posts are anything to go by... ::)

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 09, 2008, 03:27:26 PM

**beforre you go on, I aint saying one side is worse than the other**

Care to quote any of these bigotted posts? I've read (and contributed) to the OWC thread(s) on this and I don't recognise your version at all.

Tonto

Fitzwilliam Street, eh?

So that would be the street just off the Lower Ormeau Road, opposite the Hatfield?

Aye, it's definately a sectarian attack... no doubt. ::)

Fishbat

But ye have to remember these rabble are the pus from the medieval boil of orangeism that has been detrimental to ALL irish people for centuries but tolerated and indeed revered by large elements of unionism - a disgrace in 2008.

Drummed into the thick and weak by daddy and grandpappy klansman, this act will be seen as a blow against Oirish imperialism and Leprechauns in general.

Can anyone confirm that story about "Leave the darkies alone, UDA"?  Jesus wept

Off topic but should the housing executive stop housing immigrants in the likes of the village etc...Its fairly obvious anyone of a different colour, ethnicity, religion (aye right!) or outlook is not welcome and won't be tolerated by local "loyalists", why put people in the direct line of the bile of these scum, or at the least give them ample warning about the area they are moving to.

They're all fenians ye know...

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: GweylTah on February 10, 2008, 02:05:45 PM
I can certainly see that there's an element of appealling about to the LCD / basic stereotypes in PaddyWagon's promotion, but is this harmful or harmless?

Are jokes about Cork people being thick, told by those from other parts of Ireland, or about Cavan or Ballymena people being mean and mserable, told by others in Ireland, OK then?

Don't think there are any thick Cork people jokes. Usually Cork folk are portrayed as cute hoors in jokes which is just the opposite.

Granted Cavan people are always tight bastards for some reason. ;D

Aerlik

Quote from: Fishbat on February 10, 2008, 11:11:05 PM
But ye have to remember these rabble are the pus from the medieval boil of orangeism that has been detrimental to ALL irish people for centuries but tolerated and indeed revered by large elements of unionism - a disgrace in 2008.

Classic.  Well done that man.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!