Spiting on pensioners, unionists show their class again

Started by Donagh, January 23, 2008, 08:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Whether it be throwing bags of faeces or pipe bombs, no one does protest as classy as your embattled unionist.
----------------------------------
----------------------------------

Police intervene in council row

Police have been called to Limavady Borough Council's offices after a meeting had to be abandoned.

Officers were called to attend to reports of a disturbance and assault at the offices on Connell Street at about 2200 GMT on Tuesday.

It is understood a group of up to 50 protestors turned up for the meeting, where the issue of neutral spaces in council areas was being discussed.

Two Sinn Fein councillors said they were abused as they left the building.

The councillors, Anne Brolly and Marion Donaghy, said they were confronted by a crowd outside the council offices.

"There was a particularly nasty mood among the young men who were there," Ms Brolly said.

"They spat on us and they were very vitriolic and made obscene comments and threats to us.

"When we got into the car one man threw a Union Jack over it and shouted obscenities at us."

amallon

Whats was planned for the neutral spaces that has pissed them off so much?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Donagh

Quote from: amallon on January 23, 2008, 10:54:08 AM
Whats was planned for the neutral spaces that has pissed them off so much?

A committee in the Council has been meeting over the past while drawing up recommendations about the type of flags and emblems that should be banned from the building. I think they were due to have a vote on them last night.

An Fear Rua

heres the orangeletters take on it

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/Plan-to-purge-town-of.3687058.jp
Plan to purge town of Protestant symbolism

STEPHEN DEMPSTER Political Editor
SINN Fein plans to purge a town of symbols of Protestant and British culture have been exposed in the minutes of a damning council document.
Republican councillors in Limavady have drawn up a lengthy "petty sectarian wish list" of items they intend to have removed from inside and outside the local council offices in order to create a "neutral environment

ASSAULT
Alderman George Robinson of the DUP said: "This is nothing more than a full-frontal assault on the unionist people, not only of Limavady but of Northern Ireland."

The minutes of a special council committee – which includes SDLP members but which unionists refused to sit on – reveal that councillors did an "audit" of the council buildings last November.

And one by one they decided which items offended them and had to go.

So thorough was their trawl that the document reveals they had to do an internet search before they could establish if they were offended by a statue at the council doors.

After some lengthy debate, they decided they were. And so they want the monument to local man William Massey Ferguson, who left the town in the late 1800s and became Prime Minister of New Zealand, pulled down.

The committee recommendations are due before a full council meeting next Tuesday, at which unionists expect to be out-voted (nine-to-six) by a nationalist majority.

DISGUST
Last night, DUP Alderman and former Mayor of Limavady George Robinson said he was "shocked and disgusted" by what was in the council minutes.

He said he was deeply concerned at what sort of message this would send out to the mainly unionist people of the town of Limavady.

"Unionists knew what this was about and did not sit on the committee, knowing we would be out-voted on any suggestions.

"But picking out the statue of Massey Ferguson beggars belief. It is a tribute to one of the town's most famous and successful sons," said Mr Robinson

"It has been there 10 or 12 years and is causing offence to no one. They are planning to rip down a monument, a tourist attraction, and a tribute to a local man.

"According to Sinn Fein he was first and foremost an Orangeman and he made anti-Catholic speeches."

But Mr Robinson was just as shocked at how petty and "narrow-minded" the inventory of the targeted items was.

As well as the statue the list includes:

* three pictures in a hallway, at least one of which was a gift from a regiment at Ballykelly Army base following a visit to the council;

* a Royal British Legion certificate;

* artwork presented to council by the 8th Infantry Brigade;

* a Charles and Diana mug;

* a little dragon from the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards;

* a Royal Engineers paper weight;

* and a 22nd Regiment Cheshire plate.

He said: "As an MLA I sit up at Stormont and in fairness to Sinn Fein there have been times where they have looked at things and seen the bigger picture and not taken this attitude.

"This, though, is a major step backwards for community relations in the Limavady area."

DUP MP for the area Gregory Campbell added his disgust.

Its Grim up North

AZOffaly

QuoteAnd so they want the monument to local man William Massey Ferguson

Did he invent tractors? :)

Billys Boots

As they say in our parts, 'Massey is classy, but Zetor is better'.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

An Fear Rua

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 23, 2008, 11:19:03 AM
QuoteAnd so they want the monument to local man William Massey Ferguson

Did he invent tractors? :)

Prime Minister of New Zealand, Orange marcher and freemason, and funny enough was big into farming.
Its Grim up North

Donagh

Unsurprisingly the Orangeletter and the DUP lad are getting a little bit confuddled. The boys name was William Massey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Massey) as opposed to Massey Ferguson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massey-Ferguson). I wonder is this a despicable and sneaky attempt to portray republicans as being anti-tractor?

Donagh

Quote from: dec on January 23, 2008, 12:28:30 PM
William Ferguson Massey to be exact.

And my name is Donagh Francis Pius Ulick McMonegall, but I tend to leave out the middle bits.

el Chino

absolutely disgraceful

for too long unionist have bullied nationalists in Limavady Borough Council

amallon

Maybe they have but getting rid of the statue of the tractor man is a bit petty if you ask me.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

thejuice

This is the kinda thing that shouldnt happen if people are to get along. If both cultures and traditions want respect, running around asking for things to be torn down or removed wont solve anything. Its about tolerance and respecting heritage
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Donagh

According to the news reports, they didn't ask for them to be torn down, they asked for a discussion on certain items but the unionists refused and the meeting had to be abandoned. From what I can see all of the items are connected with the British military and a raving Orangeman/Freemason. When unionists constantly refuse to allow nationalist emblems 'equal billing' in council offices they're going to have to expect that imperialist emblems from the unionist side are going to come under scrutiny. If they aren't mature enough to accept the rich cultural traditions from both communities, then unfortunately the only other option is sterile workplaces or as mentioned above "neutral spaces".

full back

A Charles & Diana mug !!!!

I mean, why the fcuk would anyone even want to discuss this
Who is worse?