Irish Canadian must salute the Queen

Started by stephenite, January 23, 2008, 03:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

I'm assuming that everyone who is saying this man is correct was in agreement with the man who wanted to join the Gardai a few months back but insisted on wearing a turpin?

AZOffaly

I don't know the ins and outs of Canadian military protocol, but I suppose you are saluting the Commander In Chief of the army, not the Queen of England. It's the office of CIC you are paying respect to, not necessarliy the holder of said office. I suppose the same could be said of many in the American army. 'W' is the commander in chief (titular) and as such is saluted by them, even if a sizeable number think that the man himself is an ar*e.

AZOffaly

Quote from: full back on January 23, 2008, 10:41:28 AM
I'm assuming that everyone who is saying this man is correct was in agreement with the man who wanted to join the Gardai a few months back but insisted on wearing a turpin?

A turban. Dick Turpin wouldn't fit on your head.

passedit

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on January 23, 2008, 09:45:57 AM
Quote from: Donagh on January 23, 2008, 09:18:50 AM
We wouldn't expect a Muslim or Jew to swear an oath on the Bible, so why should a republican not be excused from toasting a heredity monarch.

Probably because religious rights/views tend to be enshrine in rights legislation to a greater degree than political views.

If the guy is such a conscientious republican he might be better off not joining the army of a state that has a monarch as it's head.

/Jim.

Too right James, ye can't be takin the Queen's shilling without at least giving her a nod!
Don't Panic

full back

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 23, 2008, 10:43:20 AM
Quote from: full back on January 23, 2008, 10:41:28 AM

A turban. Dick Turpin wouldn't fit on your head.

:D
Cheers AZ
You know what I mean though?

AZOffaly

I do. But as I'm one of those who would say he doesn't really have a leg to stand on. It's a bit much to join up to an organisation, which I'm sure includes agreeing to abide by their rules and procedures, and then refusing to do so.

Of course you could say he would be correct to try and get these rules changed, especially if he feels they are outdated, but that is a different argument entirely. As it stands, the Canadian Army recognises QEII as their Commander in Chief, and as such she is entitled to receive a salute from all members of the Army. The fact that it seems a bit mad to an outsider is neither here nor there.

screenexile

I'm an Irish Canadian with a British Passport... Does that make me a sellout??

An Fear Rua

Quote from: screenexile on January 23, 2008, 11:24:13 AM
I'm an Irish Canadian with a British Passport... Does that make me a sellout??

it makes you confused  ;)
Its Grim up North

rosnarun

Captain Aralt Mac Giolla Chainnigh could always go crazt and live in ireland and fight in one of the  irish armies or is that taking patriotism too far
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Donagh

Quote from: rosnarun on January 23, 2008, 12:04:50 PM
Captain Aralt Mac Giolla Chainnigh could always go crazt and live in ireland and fight in one of the  irish armies or is that taking patriotism too far

Why would a Canadian fight in a foreign army?

Evil Genius

Hmmm, I wonder what this chap would have done had be been born 60 years earlier?  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Canada_during_the_Second_World_War

Anyhow, for me, the key passage of the original report is the following:

"In 1982 Canada voted for constitutional independence but retained the queen as its figurehead.
At the turn of the millennium the Canadian parliament considered making a clean break but the public were overwhelmingly against such a move"

He's made his point, he was allowed his day in court, so why don't they just hang him for High Treason and get on with it.  ::)

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

his holiness nb

EG, whats with the bit crossed out? You know we can still read it.

Why not just come out and say it, or does putting a line through it mean you dont mean it?

Please clarify.
Ask me holy bollix

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 23, 2008, 12:57:23 PM
EG, whats with the bit crossed out? You know we can still read it.

Why not just come out and say it, or does putting a line through it mean you dont mean it?

Please clarify.
It's a joke ,its an internet way of showing a "slip of the tongue "
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.