Bargains - alcohol.

Started by Lecale2, January 20, 2008, 07:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Subbie

Cloudy bay is an overhyped , mid range kiwi wine. It is far from the best the kiwis produce and the prices they charge for it here is madness, it retails in NZ for somewhere in the region of €7 - €8 , no more.

Some tool of a wine importer obviously hired a pr company to organise a mass wankfest over Cloudy bay and its worked.

Villa Maria , Matu and Muddy Water would all be superior wins but don't have the profile that this pish does.

Hardy

Juice - comparing the quality of two cans of Bumwidener is a bit like arguing over whether meths or shoe polish gives you a better hangover.

Canned beer is an abomination.

I'm really enjoying the wine appreciation section here, though.  :D

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

his holiness nb

I hate discussing wine, I like a nice glass of wine every now and then. But I would range my opinions of wine in three options, very nice, ok and piss.

What I especially hate is when it comes up in conversation that you enjoy the odd glass of wine some smart arse pipes in asking all sorts of questions about wines in the presumption that should you dare to enjoy wine you had bloody well better be an expert on the subject.

Ask me holy bollix

The Watcher Pat

They done a promotion in Tescos in Lurgan about 6mths ago....30% off all wines..2 pallets of Buckfast were sold out within 4 hrs... Suffice it to say the next time they put on a promotion it said....30% off all wines ( except fortified wines)

Think they learnt from their mistakes....lol
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Mickey Linden

Often wondered myself why Buckfast was largely confined to certain parts of the North and particularly the Lurgan area where it is simply known as "wine"! I remember my first day as a student going into the off licence in agincourt ave and asking for a bottle of wine as they were behind the counter. The lady replied what colour and I didnt know what she was talking about.
In the toilets in the cellar bar in Lurgan they have local newspaper cuttings dating back to the thirtes. I seen Buckfast advertised on the front page of one of these so it has long been established as the drink of choice in the area

Hank Everlast

the numbers on the buckfast bottles go into the forties at least now, i had a forty-seven on boxing nite.... all sorts of myths about what they mean like 1 being the sweetest and more sour with higher numbers etc. but i think the most believeble explanation i got was that the mark was for packaging and distribution.

I think its £2.50 for a glass (3 shots) of bow in most of the bars in the town!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Hank Everlast on January 21, 2008, 12:42:13 PM
the numbers on the buckfast bottles go into the forties at least now, i had a forty-seven on boxing nite.... all sorts of myths about what they mean like 1 being the sweetest and more sour with higher numbers etc. but i think the most believeble explanation i got was that the mark was for packaging and distribution.

I think its £2.50 for a glass (3 shots) of bow in most of the bars in the town!

That sounds about right, also depends on the barman though

Candyman

Jeez...  the post at the start of the thread saying 2 bottles were £5 would have been alrite!!! I wonder what numpty staff member wrote that...  ::)
:D :D :D

Chrisowc

I remember seeing Buckfast in a chemist!!  Probably twice the price too.  I can just imagine the local winos going in before offy opens ;D
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

BennyHarp

I also heard that the wee lumpy bits in the busckfast were the toe clippings from the benedictine monks who made the wine in Buckfast Monastery ! The higher the number of the bottle, the more clippings it contained!!  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Candyman on January 21, 2008, 12:47:45 PM
Jeez...  the post at the start of the thread saying 2 bottles were £5 would have been alrite!!! I wonder what numpty staff member wrote that...  ::)
:D :D :D

always on top form candyman  :D ;)

Candyman

ach surely, no drink in 3 weeks and im bouncing!!!  ;D

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Candyman on January 21, 2008, 02:48:05 PM
ach surely, no drink in 3 weeks and im bouncing!!!  ;D

Might have to get the breathalyzer for you, just to make sure ;) u know what I mean

;D ;D ;D :D

Hank Everlast

he doesnt kno wat to do wit himself now el cuervo, the cars shining inside and out!