Meath V Dublin 1991 on Tg4 now

Started by Zulu, January 19, 2008, 07:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

The last game of that epic series is now on All-Ireland gold for those interested.

Owenmoresider

Cheers for that.

It's games like these that TG4 should show a bit more, like KE-MH '97 and Down-Derry '94 etc., rather than always repeating Kerry-Dublin games and so on.

That elbow by Coyle  :o ;D

Minder

The Meath player was close enough to tackle Keith Barr when he was running up to miss the penalty........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
God it must have been sickening to be on the Hill after the final whistle. I'd say there were lads still standing there 3 hours later trying to figure out what happened.

deiseach

Ah, the days when soccer was going to mow down the GAA - then along comes this epic. How convenient. It was so gripping, even my mother sat down to watch the fourth game!

Hardy

I have the video of course. I can watch it any time I want. But I still watched this from start to finish and enjoyed it all over again. (I have learned to ignore the commentary and the uncanny way Canning and O'Dwyer almost managed to suck the drama out of the occasion). It's still the most overwhelming, atmospheric, excitement-saturated sporting occasion I have ever witnessed, by miles.

When it was over last night, I found myself thinking about Mick Fitzgerald's famous comment after he won the Grand National and I was nearly tempted to reach the same conclusion about this. Is this healthy?

Zulu

QuoteBut I still watched this from start to finish and enjoyed it all over again. (I have learned to ignore the commentary and the uncanny way Canning and O'Dwyer almost managed to suck the drama out of the occasion).

You're dead right Hardy, it's actually a talent in Ger's case. But you can get Micheal's commentary on the goal on youtube, simply brilliant.

Hardy

Thanks a million Zulu. I never knew that existed. I see it was only added to YouTube 6 days ago.

No problem to Micheál to capture the occasion:

"The most incredible series of football matches that was ever played in any code the world over ...and the ball goes over the bar and Meath are leading. Incredible! Incredible! ... the most remarkable finale that I have ever seen in any sport. We are 38 seconds into injury time. The referee has a look at the watch. The umpires are looking at the watch. Mick Lyons looks at Robbie O'Malley. Robbie looks back at Mick. They both look towards Martin O'Connell ... "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjy9guThsWU

Sandy Hill

Incredible stuff; I'd forgotten just how great it was! The second half of this game should be shown to all under-age teams in the country; what a lesson!
"Stercus accidit"

Jinxy

I always find it interesting how the Meath players reacted to Foleys goal. Aside from Stafford whacking him across the head everyone else just seemed to adopt a business as usual attitude, i.e. no interest in another draw match. Dublin, understandably a bit shell-shocked, were unable to organise themselves to prevent the final fatal score. You see it so often when a team concedes a sucker punch like that goal, while players are still trying to figure out what happened, another 2/3 points are tacked on and the game is gone away from them. I suppose the lesson is that when the jugular is exposed you keep the pressure on until you kill the game.

orangeman

Mick Lyons - what a man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sandy Hill

QuoteI suppose the lesson is that when the jugular is exposed you keep the pressure on until you kill the game.

Yes, and the other lesson is "never give up". I'm sure that most other teams finding themselves where Meath were would have wilted and died. Did the Dubs choke that day?
"Stercus accidit"

Jinxy

I don't think Dublin choked. Tommy Carr said that when he was taken off with a few minutes to go one of the subs said to him that the game was in the bag. It is hard to say if the men on the field felt the same way. You would think that the last 3 games would have taught them that you keep going till the final whistle no matter what, so I don't think they would have been complacent. Nowadays, Dublin (or anyone) at that stage of the game with a 3 point lead would flood their own half with bodies as they would know all they have to do is prevent a goal. I'm glad they didn't do it back then but I think it would be doing them a disservice to say they choked.

orangeman

I don't think they choked either - Meath were a mighty team baack then - two good teams in fact - full of bravado and determination - very little tactics on show back then - just lace her in !!!!!