Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

DirtyDozen12

I was in Aughaloo on Sunday for the Cormac McAn, Sydney Vs Aiden McA, Boston commemorative game and even though it wasn't played in that highly competitive mode there where a lot of current county & past county players on show.

Have to say that Ryan McCluskey looks in great shape, he was just tipping about but was very controlled in everything he done.  Definitely a big boost for you fermanagh boys to have him back this year.  McCluskey centre half back and Owns full back makes for a solid defensive spine if both are available although over this past couple of seasons defence has never really been the problem as they tend to concede very little.  Getting scores themselves is the problem.  Mark Little also played on Sunday, very good player also but tends to get a little deep for my liking.  I would like to see him get up and support the full forward line more because if you had a good ball winner in around the middle of the square, Little could do a lot of damage coming from those deep positions.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

ExiledGael

Glad to hear McCluskey is back in action. The man's a class footballer and would get on most teams in the country. Little and Maguire both have that habit, don't know whether that's their natural game or something that's been driven into them with the county in recent years.
Heard the senior county team beat Cavan by 5/6 points at the weekend too, though didn't hear any reports. Would imagine they're bursting to get into a competitive game at this stage. Very tricky opener for us now in Longford, but hopeful that hunger could get us the points.

FermPundit

Yep, its a tricky tie alright this weekend. I was looking at the fixtures today and I think we play all 7 NFL games in a row without a weekend off, starting this Sunday against Longford through to the last game against Down in the middle of April. It'll test the fitness of the team bu tI hope we can stay relatively injury free as we don't have much strength in depth, especially in the foward line.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Fermanaghandsam

Any match reports men, who played well???

Fermanaghandsam

I hear it was a bad preformance on sunday, who played well??

I suppose winning while playing badly is a good sign :)

FermPundit

The first half was one of the worse performances I have seen from a Fermanagh side in a very long time. They struggled to get to the pace of the game and made numerous mistakes. Marty McGrath getting sent off strangely some how seemed to spark new life into the team. Although 4 points down at half time I still thought we could win the game especially with the advantage of the wind in the second half. The second period got off to a terrible start with Leitrim getting a goal within the first 5 mins. 8 points down at this stage you would think the game was over but the fact that womble got the goal straight away kicked start the revival. As the game went on Fermanagh grew in confidence whilst Leitrim just seemed to stop. Malachy O'Rourke deserves credit for making the right calls on the sideline. The introduction of Tommy McElroy and Paul Ward brought the required energy and pace to the attack.

Overall it wasn't a very good performance. Stronger sides would have put Fermanagh away in the first half. In saying this I suppose you must give the team credit for showing good character to come back from 8 points down to the win by 4. I thought Mark Murphy was man of the match. He took the responsibility when Marty was sent off and some of his high fielding was outstanding. Fergal Murphy was solid in goals whilst Mattie Keenan continues to impress in the forward line. Eamon Maguire was a big loss yesterday but if you put himself, Tom Brew, Ciaran O'Reilly and Shaun Doc into the mix it we have the bones of a reasonabe side.

So Louth up next this Sunday. Marty McGrath will be a big loss for the next 4 weeks especially given the injuries to James Sherry and Liam McBarron. I honestly don't know who will partner Womble in centre field in the next few games. The only person I can think of his Ciaran Boyle. Is there anyone else, Niall  Keenan perhaps?

ExiledGael

Don't think James Sherry is too far away from fitness, who do we meet this week?
Suppose Frog could go there to do the dirty/heavy work. Womble has a great pair of hands, great result to come back from where we were, but on the other hand how the hell did we get into that situation in the first place.
Why hasn't Doherty been featuring? Probably our best player during the McKenna Cup, has to be injured.

ExiledGael

First decent report from last week I've seen - from Impartial.

Leitrim   2-09
Fermanagh   3-10

Fermanagh made it two wins out of two in National Football League Division Three on Sunday as they fought back from eight points down to see off the challenge of Leitrim in Carrick-on-Shannon on Sunday.

Goals either side of the interval from Leitrim's Declan Maxwell and Emlyn Mulligan had put the home side into a 2-06 to 0-04 advantage, and at that stage an out of sorts Fermanagh looked as if they were on their way to a defeat.

However, Mark Murphy crashed a shot to the back of the net a minute after Leitrim had scored their second goal and from that Malachy O'Rourke's side started to grow in confidence.

The impressive Matthew Keenan clinically tucked away a second Fermanagh goal to level proceedings at 2-06 apiece, and when substitutes Tommy McElroy, who made a sizeable contribution on his introduction with two super points, and Paul Ward fired over Fermanagh moved ahead for the first time in the game.

Indeed Leitrim looked to be dead and buried following the dismissal of half back Shane Foley for a second booking, following teammate Michael Duignan and Fermanagh captain Marty McGrath who had been given their marching orders in the first half after a 31st minute melee.

However, the home side showed plenty of spirit to keep in touch and a Mulligan free left only a point dividing the sides in injury time. Fermanagh though secured the victory deep into added on time when Pat Cadden finished to the net from close range to leave four points separating the sides at the conclusion.

In the opening game against Longford, Fermanagh had come out all guns blazing as they raced into a commanding lead but it was the opposite on Sunday as they made a number of uncharacteristic errors and struggled to get into their stride.

Fermanagh lost Liam McBarron to a hamstring injury seven minutes into the contest with Jonathan McGurn replacing him, but it was Leitrim, backed by a strong breeze, who made the more positive start and they registered the game's first score after 10 minutes, Mulligan clipping over a free.

With relegation looming large on the horizon following two defeats from their opening two games Leitrim showed greater urgency and hunger, picking up breaks and being first to the ball in many areas, and three further points, two fine efforts from Maxwell and a point from Michael Foley, pushed them into a deserved 0-04 to 0-00 lead.

Fermanagh finally got off the mark through a Mattie Keenan free but it was Leitrim who remained on top and it took a terrific Fergal Murphy save to deny Maxwell a goal.

Michael Foley and McGrath traded points as Fermanagh looked to have weathered the storm, but then came the double sending off as McGrath and Duignan were shown straight red cards by referee Robbie O'Donnell after blows were exchanged.

Mark Little pulled Fermanagh back to within two points when he clipped over the free when play was resumed but the game seemed to swing in Leitrim's favour when Mark Murphy cheaply gave the ball away in his own defence with Colin Regan and Donal Brennan involved for Maxwell to finish to the net.

Fermanagh replied with a point in added on time from Mattie Keenan, but it was Leitrim who were in the driving position at the break, leading 1-06 to 0-04.
And that position was strengthened in the first couple of minutes of the second half as Mulligan tagged on 1-01.

The corner forward converted a free before getting on the end of a good move to finish to the net to make it 2-06 to 0-04.

The turning point, though, was probably that Fermanagh were able to hit back straight away to this set back with a goal of their own. Intelligent use of a free by Ryan Keenan saw him pick out Mark Murphy in space and he stepped inside a challenge before rifling his shot past goalkeeper Enda Lyons to the back of the net.

Mattie Keenan then launched over a great score to again leave four between the sides, 2-06 to 1-05.

With Fermanagh's tails up, Leitrim's task was made even tougher when they were reduced to 13 men as Shane Foley picked up his second booking for a foul on Little.

Little reduced the Leitrim lead to three points when he knocked over a free and Mattie Keenan drew the sides level when he collected an instinctive pass from Cadden to burst through on goal and coolly curl the ball around Lyons to the net.

The energetic Tommy McElroy, who had been introduced for Johnston, fired over a splendid point after exchanging passes with Little, and Paul Ward then put two between the sides with 15 to go when he capitalised on a poor kickout by Lyons to lob over.

Just when it looked as if Fermanagh would possibly run away with the game, the home side came back into it and points from Mulligan and Foley had the sides back on level terms, however it was the 14 men of Fermanagh who were to prevail.

Tommy McElroy notched his second point of the game and Keenan rattled over a long range free to make it 2-10 to 2-08 with two minutes left.

Mulligan gave Leitrim hope when he tapped over a free but the final say of the game went to the away side as Keenan latched onto a direct ball from Ciaran McElroy before teeing up Cadden, who made no mistake in finding the net from close range to secure the victory.

Leitrim: E. Lyons; D. Reynolds, J McKeon, M McGuiness; G. Reynolds, B McWeeney, S. Foley; G McCloskey, M. Duignan; C. Regan, D. Maxwell (1-02), M. Foley (0-03); C. Duignan, D. Brennan, E. Mulligan(1-04, 4f).
Subs: D. Duignan for C. Regan, P McGuinness for C.Duignan
Fermanagh: F. Murphy; S. Goan, S. Lyons, N. Bogue; D. Kelly, R McCluskey, R. Johnston; M McGrath (0-01), M. Murphy(1-00); C McElroy, M. Keenan(1-04,3f), M. Little(0-02,2f); P. Cadden (1-00), L McBarron, R. Keenan.
Subs: J McGurn for L McBarron, P. Ward (0-01) for R. Keenan, T McElroy (0-02) for R. Johnston, N. Keenan for J McGurn.

If we can add another two points against Louth in Skea on Sunday we'd be in great shape for a promotion push.

Mhic Easmuint

Full details and you your ticket online at: http://antrim.gaa.ie/saffron-sweep-2008/

Feel free to ask questions on the main thread.

FermPundit

Mark Sidebottom mentioned during the MacRory match yesterday the possibility of young Daryl Keenan joining up with the Fermanagh senior squad? If there any truth in this?

ExiledGael

First I've heard of it. Why not I suppose, he'd be bigger than half the forwards we have, and braver judging by yesterday.
Hope a few of those forwards yesterday survive to senior county level, in patches they looked excellent.

FermPundit

I suppose you can argue if your old enough your good enough but with the current arguments over player burn out i'm not so sure. I know Raymie Gallagher and Paul Brewster made their intercounty debuts at a similar age so it might happen.

With regards Sunday's performance I thought Womble was outstanding. Some of his high fielding was superb. He really has come on as a player in the last few months. When Marty returns from suspension hopefully the two of them can build up a good midfield partnership. With the absence of Barry Owens the full back line is looking extremely shaky. Without his experience and leadership the corner backs are struggling. I'd probably try frog at full back to see if there is any improvement. Declan Reilly did well when he came on but I don't know he's comfortable at corner back. Peter Sherry probably derserves another good in one of the corners.

Up front there has been a slight improvment. Mattie Keenan has been an excellent addition but overall we're still struggling to get big scores. We really should have put Louth away by a bigger margin if it wasn't for our poor finishing. I still think we tend to over play the ball in the forward line. Players need to take on responsibility and shoot. Shaun Doc was quiet but I still maintain that his best position is full forward. I don't think he has the pace to get away from his marker in the half forward line. I would like Malachy to try Tommy McElroy in the half forward line. He scored 2 points from play against Leitrim and he plays in the forward line for Boro so he's well suited to this area of the field.  We are lucky enough to have a number of guys who can come into the half back line instead.

In goals I think Chrissy Breen is our best choice. Only for his save at the end Louth would have won.

ExiledGael

Sound assessment. Breen is number one in my eyes, the only slight being his reaction to opposing fans, but he's probably grown out of that. Outstanding shotstopper, we're really producing the keepers for some reason.
Would Bogue and Goan not still be the stand-out corner-backs? Think Frog's strength ,experience and ignorance in there would do the full-back line good.
Womble has been steadily improving since 04 and is now a certain starter in our best XV. Never seems to have any bother with injuries either thank God unlike Owens/McGrath/Sherry and has a great pair of hands.
Cadden looks to be a good addition with the frees too in the absence of Tom Brew on that side, but remains to be seen how he does long term from play.
Think the spine looks pretty good now through the team, with Doc and James Sherry in the attacking roles. Personally I'd like to see, fitness permitting: (and allowing for Owens' probable year out)
                          Breen
Bogue        McDermott         Goan
McElroy       McCluskey      Johnston
           Murphy             McGrath
Maguire        J Sherry         M Keenan
  Little             Doherty          Cadden

Johnston could lose out to P Sherry. What's the latest on Tom Brewster/Ciaran O'Reilly/Barry Owens?

Gold

good win today!!

crusing that league
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ExiledGael

Well what can we say at this stage. Great results and record but I'm not convinced we're playing anywhere near well enough to trouble Monaghan in the Championship first round just yet. Last year we were out of our depth in Division One clearly.
To my mind the league restructuring cost us more than most, and we're now in a division that we're actually too strong for. I would consider us a decent Division Two team capable of a bit of a run in the Championship despite the building hype.
It's all very encouraging and O'Rourke deserves praise and some players like Matty Keenan and Damien Kelly seem to be flourishing under him into certain starters come summer.
We're racking up decent scores in the heavy ground but we're not exactly playing well, still just doing enough to beat a series of fairly weak teams in my opinion. The next two games should reveal a lot more about how we'll fare against the stronger sides.
Overall the optimism builds, and most signs are encouraging. Still hope to come into the Championship under the radar and as underdogs against Monaghan.