Poots the Gael

Started by An Fear Rua, January 17, 2008, 11:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Every time the gaa is discussed on the Nolan show, they spend most of their time talking about GAA clubs being named after terrorists and how there are no soccer clubs named after Lenny Murphy or Billy Wright.  They actually make it out like all GAA grounds are named after terrorists.
Now maybe I am blind, but I don't think I have ever seen a GAA ground or club named after a terrorist.  I live in South Armagh, I have been to dozens of gaa grounds and thousands of matches.
I am genuinely interested to know how widespread the naming of grounds after terrorists is.  Genuine answers please, no NIspeak.

AZOffaly

One man's terrorist is blah blah blah... A lot of unionists would classify Pearse Park, Casement Park and others as being named after terrorists.

Gnevin

Sam Maguire was in the IRB .As Az says one man's...
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Feckitt

You have got to be joking me. 
You mean to say that there are no GAA clubs named after terrorists, yet the BBC promote these allegations, and no one from the GAA has the wit to counteract this?
I'm sick of this shit!

nifan

Well feckit, the main one often mentioned is the Kevin Lynch club of dungiven

his holiness nb

Quote from: Gnevin on January 18, 2008, 02:06:09 PM

This is the problem with how much we do to accomodate them.
Most Unionists see anyone involved in 1916 as terrorists full stop, nevermind more recent republicans.

Should we therefore rename Casement, Pearse park and the Sam Maguire?

Sounds dramatic but if you think removing the flags and anthems will bring the unionists in dont forget they will still point out theses examples as to why they wont join.

The only real way you will have a chance to entice them in is to scrap the flags, anthems, rewrite the consitution totally and rename any clubs, stadiums or trophies names after anyone in any way connected to the rebublican struggle.

Basically you will be left with an unrecognisable organisation and we can then sit back and hope they come, and forget the deeply bred contempt for the GAA within some sections of their community will be forgotten.

Basically what I am saying is that when you talk about making changes to entice Unionists in it had better be all or nothing, as an in between will not be accepted from their side. You would be very naive to beleive otherwise.

The other option is to leave it as it is, and enjoy the fantastic organisation we have.

I dont see why we are constantly discussing what we need to do to appeal to Unionists anyway, if they dont like it, they dont like it, its worked pretty well without them. Lets not be constantly worried about what others think of us and do our own thing!!

I'd like to see all communities getting involved, but not at any cost.
Ask me holy bollix

Feckitt

I assumed that maybe in places like West Belfast and East Tyrone that there were loads of clubs and grounds named after IRA men

downredblack

Quote from: hardstation on January 18, 2008, 03:59:00 PM
Have you ever seen ears like that in your life?

Down our way we would of said  " did you see the FA cups on thon boy "

AZOffaly

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 18, 2008, 04:00:25 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 18, 2008, 02:06:09 PM

This is the problem with how much we do to accomodate them.
Most Unionists see anyone involved in 1916 as terrorists full stop, nevermind more recent republicans.

Should we therefore rename Casement, Pearse park and the Sam Maguire?

Sounds dramatic but if you think removing the flags and anthems will bring the unionists in dont forget they will still point out theses examples as to why they wont join.

The only real way you will have a chance to entice them in is to scrap the flags, anthems, rewrite the consitution totally and rename any clubs, stadiums or trophies names after anyone in any way connected to the rebublican struggle.

Basically you will be left with an unrecognisable organisation and we can then sit back and hope they come, and forget the deeply bred contempt for the GAA within some sections of their community will be forgotten.

Basically what I am saying is that when you talk about making changes to entice Unionists in it had better be all or nothing, as an in between will not be accepted from their side. You would be very naive to beleive otherwise.

The other option is to leave it as it is, and enjoy the fantastic organisation we have.

I dont see why we are constantly discussing what we need to do to appeal to Unionists anyway, if they dont like it, they dont like it, its worked pretty well without them. Lets not be constantly worried about what others think of us and do our own thing!!

I'd like to see all communities getting involved, but not at any cost.

I would broadly agree with that holiness. I think we have to recognise that Unionist people will always feel uncomfortable to a degree with some of the things that we take for granted in the GAA. I would certainly be against renaming anything like the Sam Maguire, Pearse Stadium or anything like that. They are historical figures, and like it or not, were deeply involved in Irish culture and are widely regarded as heroes in our country.

I'm sure the unionist people who come down from NI wouldn't be especially fond of James Connolly, but their trains pull into that station every day.

I think the important thing is that the GAA doesn't deliberately try to do anything which it knows will be offensive today. I would have reservations about the hunger strike commemoration in Casement Park for example. That, to me at least, was at best insensitive to Unionist opinion. At worst it was a calculated insult. That's the sort of thing I think we, as the GAA, have to be wary of if we do want people of the other persuasion to watch, play and enjoy our games.

his holiness nb

Spot on, be sensitive in the future, while not erasing the past.

The hunger strike commemorations, whether you think were right or wrong, were bound to cause controversy.
Ask me holy bollix

Fluffy Che

I support the hunger strike commemoration in Casement and if Poots and co. don't like it well, they don't have to go. I'm sure they

support the Orange Order parade that passes by my steet, l don't but l live with it.

I welcome his presence at the game, its a small step forward just like all the rest. His comments afterwards were typical DUP speak

but he's only playing to his own crowd.

Midnight to Six..

thejuice

The few times I've wandered past the houses of parlimant in London to see a statue of Oliver Cromwell sitting outside. It does get my back up that someone who caused such devastation and mass murder should get an honourary place, but I just accept it. I guess there are a lot of people who dont bat an eyelid at the statues presence, depends on your perspective I guess
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Main Street

Revolutionary Oscar Traynor was the president of the FAI for about 15 years. Has a league and a trophy called after him.

Revisionists have more twists in their convoluted theories than the red cow roundabout.

Solomon Kane

For all the criticism of Poots and his attitude towards republican symbols, it should be remembered that like all other politicians, he is only an election away from losing his job, and like all other politicians he will always have an eye on his own electorate.

5 Sams

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 17, 2008, 11:11:46 PM
He turned up late to avoid the anthem

Maybe he was in McCoy's ;)
The Aristocrat Years