End of an era as Curley's is sold to Sainbury's

Started by Guillem2, January 16, 2008, 10:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Having shopped in Curleys for over 20 years in Dungannon, I think it is a sad day that the "Independent" has sold out to a multi national.
They say they will create more jobs, but the truth is that for every job they create, 2.5 local jobs are lost.
More trucks on the road, not as much local produce, and all the profits make it back to their shareholders.
All I can say is thanks to Curleys for many years of service in Dungannon, and for providing us with good value and good local produce.
Now we have Lidl, Tesco and Sainsburys in a small town. How can the small independent retailers survive?
I will now shop in Newell Stores and Mc Gees and the meat in Cullens. That way my money stays local.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: gerry on January 16, 2008, 07:21:09 PM
sad to see another sellout to a multi national company.  but blame no one but ourselves who vote with our feet when we do our shopping in these supermarkets.  with curleys being local they bought and spent local. sainsbury's will buy mostly from uk and give their profits to their shareholders.  curleys as you say was dirty, sainsburys will be cleaner and dearer.

its like the chicken we eat (£2) and the clothes we wear (suit in asda £15) as long  as the price is right, who cares how it got there.
Jaysus, an honest man!  ;D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on January 16, 2008, 06:28:11 PM
Curley fed West Belfast through the dark days of the troubles when Tesco, Asda & Sainsbury were nowhere to be seen.
For free?  :o

Quote from: gerry on January 16, 2008, 07:21:09 PM
sad to see another sellout to a multi national company.  but blame no one but ourselves who vote with our feet when we do our shopping in these supermarkets.  with curleys being local they bought and spent local. sainsbury's will buy mostly from uk and give their profits to their shareholders.  curleys as you say was dirty, sainsburys will be cleaner and dearer.

its like the chicken we eat (£2) and the clothes we wear (suit in asda £15) as long  as the price is right, who cares how it got there.
Exactly!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

I know Curley personally and I must admit, I am disgusted with his decision.  No matter how it is dressed up, it is bad for West Belfast.  Curley always made a few bob, now, what will happen the next time there is a downturn in profits noone knows, not even owners of Sainsbury's.  Kennedy had always promised he wouldn't sell out and he has.  I hope he is getting plenty of rent money from Sainsburys
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

QuoteI know Curley personally and I must admit, I am disgusted with his decision.  No matter how it is dressed up, it is bad for West Belfast. 
Why?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hurler on the Bitch

Sainsburys have taken on a big job in that they will need to keep prices competitive to keep the locals in the West happy. I always thought that that the Kennedy Centre was a bit of a hole. The main difference between the Kennedy Centre (in West Belfast) and Forestside (in the affluent South Belfast) is the fact that you have absolutely no chance of seeing four dogs with hard-ons chasing a bitch in heat up the main hall in Forestside.

gerry

QuoteI know Curley personally and I must admit, I am disgusted with his decision.

wake up and smell the coffee. he's spent the last 20/30 years building up his business and now he's cashing in his chips. whats wrong with that.

QuoteI will now shop in Newell Stores and Mc Gees and the meat in Cullens. That way my money stays local.

bollocks, you be like the rest shopping to get into the new sainsbury's when they open in two years in belfast
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Quote from: stew on January 17, 2008, 02:55:10 AM
Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on January 16, 2008, 07:26:21 PM
£15 for a suit? Where? Sounds great!

The fcuk it does.

If times are hard, and you are in a one family income, or a students income or indeed no fecking income at all - explain to me how this doesnt sound good?

Minder

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 16, 2008, 10:08:29 PM
I know Curley personally and I must admit, I am disgusted with his decision.  No matter how it is dressed up, it is bad for West Belfast.  Curley always made a few bob, now, what will happen the next time there is a downturn in profits noone knows, not even owners of Sainsbury's.  Kennedy had always promised he wouldn't sell out and he has.  I hope he is getting plenty of rent money from Sainsburys

Surely due to your close relationship with Curley he should be consulting you on multi million pound business deals, how is it bad for West Belfast? More choice is bad? A better standard of produce is bad?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Donagh on January 16, 2008, 02:34:39 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 16, 2008, 01:56:17 PM

Agreed Guillem2, the last major independant retailer in the Six counties - now gone!

I'm sure Longs in Derry, Moores in Coleraine, Hendersons (who own Spar, Vivo and VG), J&J (aka Mace), Costcutters and a load more I don't know off might differ. Never seen the attraction of Curley's supermarket - you were never exactly spoilt for choice in it.

Longs are on a downturn, they sold up their shop in Strabane last year, know nothing about Moores in Coleraine as for Hendersons their a supplier, and the shops they run/supply are all small to medium sized (and not exactly cheap or reasonably priced!
Curley's always was competative against the big multinationals and I never thought it was dirty!

As for someone elses comments about millbags running round hitting their kids, that has nothing to do with the supermarket - more to do with the area and the people using the place!

All said and done the man is a businessman and fair dues to him for making a profit (thats what it's all about), he had a meeting with Sainsburys and they agreed to keep using the Irish signage, for how long they do so is another question.
Tbc....

Minder

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 17, 2008, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: Donagh on January 16, 2008, 02:34:39 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 16, 2008, 01:56:17 PM

Agreed Guillem2, the last major independant retailer in the Six counties - now gone!

I'm sure Longs in Derry, Moores in Coleraine, Hendersons (who own Spar, Vivo and VG), J&J (aka Mace), Costcutters and a load more I don't know off might differ. Never seen the attraction of Curley's supermarket - you were never exactly spoilt for choice in it.

Longs are on a downturn, they sold up their shop in Strabane last year, know nothing about Moores in Coleraine as for Hendersons their a supplier, and the shops they run/supply are all small to medium sized (and not exactly cheap or reasonably priced!
Curley's always was competative against the big multinationals and I never thought it was dirty!

As for someone elses comments about millbags running round hitting their kids, that has nothing to do with the supermarket - more to do with the area and the people using the place!

All said and done the man is a businessman and fair dues to him for making a profit (thats what it's all about), he had a meeting with Sainsburys and they agreed to keep using the Irish signage, for how long they do so is another question.

It was probably a deal breaker.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

5 Sams

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on January 16, 2008, 10:35:39 PM
The main difference between the Kennedy Centre (in West Belfast) and Forestside (in the affluent South Belfast) is the fact that you have absolutely no chance of seeing four dogs with hard-ons chasing a bitch in heat up the main hall in Forestside.

Brilliant  ;D ;D
The Aristocrat Years

Drumanee 1

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 16, 2008, 10:08:29 PM
I know Curley personally and I must admit, I am disgusted with his decision.  No matter how it is dressed up, it is bad for West Belfast.  Curley always made a few bob, now, what will happen the next time there is a downturn in profits noone knows, not even owners of Sainsbury's.  Kennedy had always promised he wouldn't sell out and he has.  I hope he is getting plenty of rent money from Sainsburys

you obviously dont know him that well,i have known him and his family for years and what he has had to deal with in this past year or two in his personnel life and try and keep a buisness going was alot to ask,suppose he justs wants to retire and injoy life.

Tony Baloney

Can we have a competition to see who knows him best?!

I say good on him - he should be considered a local success story by building up a business and flogging it to a multi-. Who can blame him for wanting to cash in his chips. I know what I'd be doing in the same situation. See that Wombat place in Belfast has been flogged for 100 million too. A few local lads will come good from that too no doubt.