The 6 Nations Thread

Started by thebandit, January 15, 2008, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

From RTE

QuoteO'Sullivan has chosen on form
Tuesday, 15 January 2008 17:00
Eddie O'Sullivan has chosen to inject some youth into Ireland's creaking squad with Cian Healy and Jonathan Sexton among the fresh faces.

Prop Healy and fly-half Sexton have been included in a 33-man party for the RBS 6 Nations that does not include injured lock Paul O'Connell.

The uncapped Leinster duo have been rewarded for their fine form this season, but both are rookies - even at provincial level.

Healy, 20, has made just eight senior appearances for Leinster while 22-year-old fly-half Sexton has also impressed and will compete with Paddy Wallace to become Ronan O'Gara's understudy.

Wingers Rob Kearney, Luke Fitzgerald and Tommy Bowe and number eight Jamie Heaslip further reduce the average age of the squad.

'First and foremost I feel this squad reflects the form of the players in the Heineken Cup and Magners League,' said O'Sullivan

'I'm excited to introduce some young blood into the mix for the Six Nations. Some of the younger players have really put their hands up through their performances and have earned their spot in the squad.

'At the same time it again threw up some tight calls, especially in the back row, which always seems to be the same every time we select a squad.

'However, I think we have the balance right going into the championship.'

O'Sullivan has refused to confine his attention to the youth ranks in searching for new additions to the squad, however, with hooker Bernard Jackman and locks Mick O'Driscoll and Leo Cullen far more seasoned campaigners.

Johnny O'Connor, who won the last of his 12 caps against England in 2006, has played his way into the reckoning for the number seven jersey with a string of standout displays for Connacht.

Competition for back row places is fierce and Leinster openside Keith Gleeson was unfortunate not to be included, losing out to the younger O'Connor.

In all, there are 22 survivors from the original squad that performed so abysmally at the World Cup.

Isaac Boss has paid the price for his slump in form by being axed with Peter Stringer and Eoin Reddan the only scrum-halves selected in the 33.

Brian Young, Brian Carney and Frankie Sheahan have also been dropped, while Denis Hickie retired after the tournament in France.

Munster prop Tony Buckley, a late call-up when Simon Best was struck down by illness at the World Cup, replaces the Ulster front row for the Six Nations.

O'Connell, Best and Stephen Ferris have not been considered due to injury.

O'Connell has been sidelined with a back problem sustained during the World Cup and is almost certain to miss the opening two Six Nations games against Italy and France.

But if the feared Munster lock, traditionally Ireland's vice-captain, requires surgery he will miss the entire competition.

The addition of rookies such as Sexton and Healy will be welcomed in many quarters, but they could yet prove to be little more than window dressing.

Other than O'Connell and Hickie, who are unavailable, O'Sullivan could select the entire 22 from the World Cup when he names his team for the opener against Italy on February 2.

-O'Sullivan declared in December he did not see the need for radical changes, despite Ireland crumbling as their finest hour beckoned, and his loyalty may shape his thinking once again.

Ulster prop Brian Young, Munster winger Brian Carney, hooker Frankie Sheahan and Boss have all been dropped.

Ireland squad:

Forwards:
N Best, R Best, T Buckley, L Cullen, S Easterby, J Flannery, J Hayes, C Healy, J Heaslip, M Horan, B Jackman, D Leamy, D O'Callaghan, J O'Connor, M O'Driscoll, M O'Kelly, A Quinlan, D Wallace.

Backs: T Bowe, G Dempsey, G D'Arcy, G Duffy, L Fitzgerald, S Horgan, R Kearney, G Murphy, B O'Driscoll, R O'Gara, E Reddan, J Sexton, P Stringer, A Trimble, P Wallace.

Good to see a bit of change, cant believe he didn't call up Keith Gleeson though >:(

ildanach

I would say flannery will be gone,as he got cited today for an alleged stamp.
Is O connell gone from the panel for the 6 nations or can he be added at a later date. Eddie very unclear in his statement?
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

thebandit

It looks like O'Connell is out for the tournament at this stage.

Flannery is a player I really like, but he deserves to get the book thrown at him for the stamp.

Gabriel_Hurl

thebandit

He has been cited now, just heard it on the radio

thewobbler

Rob Kearney and Tommy Bowe... I'd rather play prop forwards on the wing. Bowe's selection smacks of politics. Matt Mostyn is rubbish but he'd still be a better choice.

Can't believe Johnny O'Connor and Alan Quinlan got call-ups ahead of Shane Jennings. For about 3 years now we've been crying out for impact subs, and even if Jennings is a bit below international quality (although I'd love to find out one way or the other), he would be capable of bringing serious energy to the game for the last quarter. Similarly Isaac Boss... if Stringer isn't going to be first choice he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad.

Uladh

Has Gleeson rid EOS's wife or what's the craic?

The longer this goes on the worse it looks for O'Sullivan

AZOffaly

Wobbler, I can't believe that Stinger isn't worth his place on the squad, at the least as a back up to Reddan. Isaac Boss, in common with most of the Ulster lads, has had a very poor campaign so far. If you are in the top couple of scrum halves in the country, you are entitled to be there. I can't see the rationale in any other approach.

If Reddan starts, and it's far from guaranteed, and gets injured against Italy in Croker, I wouldn't be upset to see Stringer coming off the bench.

maddog

Will be heading over for the Wales match, whats ticket demand likely to be like?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: maddog on January 16, 2008, 10:45:19 AM
Will be heading over for the Wales match, whats ticket demand likely to be like?
We'll have 3 games played at that stage (Italy(h), France(a) & Scotland (h)) so alot will depend on how we are going.............. If you have any half decent rugby contacts on this side of the water I would imagine you should be Ok for tickets.

thejuice

What are the other teams looking like, hard to see past another French win. My boss who's welsh reckons Wales be a force to be reckoned with this year.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dinny Breen

QuoteRob Kearney and Tommy Bowe... I'd rather play prop forwards on the wing. Bowe's selection smacks of politics. Matt Mostyn is rubbish but he'd still be a better choice.

Very harsh Wobbler, Bowe is playing well in a poor team and Kearney has probably been Leinsters best back this season, a couple of brain farts excepted, surprised you singled out 2 ex-county minors.....

N Best,  S Easterby,, C Healy,  M Horan,  M O'Driscoll, M O'Kelly, A Quinlan, G D'Arcy, G Duffy, S Horgan,  P Wallace.

None of those guys should be in the squad based on form my hole.. In fairness to Stringer he has picked his game up and is the definite number 2 behind Reddan.

Disgrace that neither Gleeson or Jennings are in the squad or former Ellistowntown star Johnny Murphy either

Going on the players he selected my match day 22 would be....

15. G Murphy
14. R Kearney
13. A Trimble
12. B O'Driscoll
11. T Bowe
10 R O'Gara
9. E Reddan
8 J Heaslip
7 D Wallace
6 D Leamy
5 D O'Callaghan
4. L Cullen (Can't believe I typed that)
3. J Hayes
2. B Jackman
1. T Buckley

16. M Horan
17. R Best
18. M O'Kelly
19. J O'Connor
20 J Sexton
21 P Stringer
22 L Fitzgearld
#newbridgeornowhere

bingobus

Tommy Bowe is no Ex County Minor.

Regardless of the new names included, its hard to see EOS picking any of the new names for the final 22.

Surprised Gleeson didn't get the nod. Brian Carney seems to be coming into form for Munster and could defo offer something. Also note that most of the English based new boys have been ignored - young Humpries and Murphy at Leicester. Are they getting much game time?

Dinny Breen

QuoteTommy Bowe is no Ex County Minor.

Are you sure? Says here he was

Quotehttp://www.irishrugby.ie/226_125.php

young Humpries and Murphy at Leicester

Humpries isn't getting much game time but Murphy certainly is, disappointed he didn't get called up....
#newbridgeornowhere

thebandit

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 16, 2008, 12:39:47 PM
QuoteRob Kearney and Tommy Bowe... I'd rather play prop forwards on the wing. Bowe's selection smacks of politics. Matt Mostyn is rubbish but he'd still be a better choice.

Very harsh Wobbler, Bowe is playing well in a poor team and Kearney has probably been Leinsters best back this season, a couple of brain farts excepted, surprised you singled out 2 ex-county minors.....

Tommy Bowe played for the County under 16 development squad, but never for the county minors