A Different Ball Game - The Future of the GAA in Northern Ireland

Started by Zulu, January 14, 2008, 08:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 16, 2008, 11:08:47 PM

You've been told on this thread what the unionist problem is - they've been brought up to see the GAA as the IRA at play. 

That's a fairly sweeping statement - I've no doubt there are some Unionists that think like that, but I personally know of others that don't think like that

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on January 16, 2008, 11:14:07 PM

You've been told on this thread what the unionist problem is - they've been brought up to see the GAA as the IRA at play. 

"Former Armagh player Jarlath Burns, in a revealing article in the now defunct Daily Ireland recalls going to watch an Orange parade in South Armagh, thinking he would blend in unrecognised, only to end up in lively conversation with some of the local brethren about his team's chances in that year's All-Ireland."
Clearly thats what everyone of them thinks alright

And why haven't they joined clubs?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Denn Forever

Hopefully things may change  now that Edwin Poots asked people to stop burning GAA and Orange halls before the Down - Donegal game tonight.  Did you ever think that you would see a DUP politician at a Dr McKenna cup match?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Zapatista

This is a load of shit!

In order for sport to be non political you would need to do away with all state sporting events (and that would only be a star). Non-political sport is non-existing.

Quote from: Gnevin on January 15, 2008, 12:41:43 AM
Quote from: inisceithleann on January 14, 2008, 08:38:17 PM
Although the Darren Graham incident was blown out of all proportion (there is no problem with sectarianism in Fermanagh football)
So he dreamed it all up? Clearly their was some level of sectarianism in Fermanagh football

Complete nonsence! If they where to call me big ears all day on the pitch would I have a genuine complaint of bullying? The abuse given to Oisin McConville at games is probably worse but it is not as news worthy as "sectarianism".  Why is this narrowed to Fermanagh? As this was a GAA match, these were GAA players and the GAA is Island wide surley it must prove all GAA people to be sectarian and not confined to fermanagh? Who drew the line at Fermanagh and why?

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on January 17, 2008, 12:25:06 AM
This is a load of shit!

In order for sport to be non political you would need to do away with all state sporting events (and that would only be a star). Non-political sport is non-existing.

Although the Darren Graham incident was blown out of all proportion (there is no problem with sectarianism in Fermanagh football)
So he dreamed it all up? Clearly their was some level of sectarianism in Fermanagh football

Complete nonsence! If they where to call me big ears all day on the pitch would I have a genuine complaint of bullying? The abuse given to Oisin McConville at games is probably worse but it is not as news worthy as "sectarianism".  Why is this narrowed to Fermanagh? As this was a GAA match, these were GAA players and the GAA is Island wide surley it must prove all GAA people to be sectarian and not confined to fermanagh? Who drew the line at Fermanagh and why?

We all know in this world we live in today their is abuse you can give and their is abuse you can't . No more than i can call a Traveller a Pikey on the GAA pitch . The issue isn't a fermanagh only issue but the Guy played for a Fermanagh club which I'm sure you already knew hense why they are more central to this  incident.

A sport can be non political and still have associations with the state it is based in
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 16, 2008, 11:44:48 PM
Hopefully things may change  now that Edwin Poots asked people to stop burning GAA and Orange halls before the Down - Donegal game tonight.  Did you ever think that you would see a DUP politician at a Dr McKenna cup match?
Clearly turned up to compile a report about the "IRA at Play"
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 16, 2008, 11:29:45 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 16, 2008, 11:14:07 PM

"Former Armagh player Jarlath Burns, in a revealing article in the now defunct Daily Ireland recalls going to watch an Orange parade in South Armagh, thinking he would blend in unrecognised, only to end up in lively conversation with some of the local brethren about his team's chances in that year's All-Ireland."
Clearly thats what everyone of them thinks alright

And why haven't they joined clubs?
I would guess they have issues ,some real some imagined  with the GAA . Maybe someone for the Ulster Council could find out .

Pangurban

With all due respects Gnevin, you are just not making any coherent point. Your problem seems to be an aversion to Nationalism and its symbols. The G.A.A. is a national organisation which respects the Flag and Culture of the nation. It does not support any particular brand of nationalism, or political party within the nation state. You want to throw off all trappings of national identity, Flags,Anthems,etc.but you fail to realise that the G.A.A.s own flag is part of that identity, and is even perceived in some ill-informed and malicious circles as sectarian. Should we ditch that too. By emulating you and standing for nothing in a vain attempt to curry favour with our critics, what will be gained. I would be very open to any proposal which would widen the appeal of our association and strenghten it, but i have not heard one from you yet. In fact if we were to follow your advice, our critics would find us laughable,and scorn us for being so unprincipled and lickspittle that we are no longer worth critisizing, yet alone joining

Zapatista

Quote from: Gnevin on January 17, 2008, 01:00:01 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on January 17, 2008, 12:25:06 AM
This is a load of shit!

We all know in this world we live in today their is abuse you can give and their is abuse you can't . No more than i can call a Traveller a Pikey on the GAA pitch . The issue isn't a fermanagh only issue but the Guy played for a Fermanagh club which I'm sure you already knew hense why they are more central to this  incident.

A sport can be non political and still have associations with the state it is based in

This is false.

He played for an Fermanagh club as evety bit as much as he played for an Ulster Club and an Irish Club.

behind the wire

Quote from: Gnevin on January 17, 2008, 01:00:46 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on January 16, 2008, 11:44:48 PM
Clearly turned up to compile a report about the "IRA at Play"

Look gnevin, take it from me, i live in a town where unionists still have a fairly big majority. i can tell you now that many of them are brought up to believe the 'ira at play' tripe, its a sad fact. however, as i have stated already this is beginning to change and more and more unionists are taking an interest (well i know of loads who have had a keen interest all along but just didnt want to be seen to be interested.) with time they will start to join the clubs. taking away the irish flag will do nothing to help. for unionists to start joining clubs they need to appreciate the gaa for what it is, an IRISH sporting and cultural organisation.

and by the way, there are still a good few subscribers to the ira at play label. you only have to look at st comgall's gac in antrim town who wished to make a new field at dunsilly roundabout. opposed by local unionist councillor who publicly stated that he wasnt willing to sanction the building of another ira training camp. this happened around 18 months ago i think.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Hardy

I had a strange dream this morning. I dreamt I heard a report on Morning Ireland that Edwin Poots, DUP Minister for Culture etc., had attended the Down-Donegal match last night. The strangest bit of the dream was where it said he came ten minutes late so that he wouldn't be there for the national anthem.

It was a very realistic dream and I would have sworn I was awake but for the fact that I know, having been assured by those here who know about these things (and who imply that they are the only ones qualified to speak on these issues) that this couldn't happen. They have assured me that flags and anthems are not really the issue and that removing them wouldn't have the slightest effect on unionist attitudes. So it can't be that a representative of uber-unionism was happy to attend a GAA match as long as he didn't have to hear the anthem.

So let's continue to fight the good fight and hold the line at all costs that what the GAA is really about is flags and anthems. That's the important part - much more important than the games. Especially to the young people of Europe, Asia and the world, when we go out to promote our flag and anthem, sorry, our games.

Not an inch.

[Edit] Of course, I'll be assured that I have been the dupe of a fancy piece of DUP propaganda. I suppose that's it. Edwin (and Nicky) have conspired to pull the wool over my stupid ould eyes.

(Edwin said it wasn't a bad game and at least "the local team" gave Donegal "a good hammering").

passedit

In fairness Hardy it would be political death for Poots to be seen standing for AnF no matter what the circumstances. That said I hazard a guess that you count on Abu Hamsa's left hand the number of times the tricolour was flown at BTW's home ground (the same for both of my own clubs) and AnF wouldn't have got too many airings either. It's just not practical. In the areas of the North where there are any numbers of protestants participating the flag and anthem are a non issue. What i'd like to see is a tweak to the rule allowing this to be at the discretion of the host club (which is the case now anyway).

BTW BTW (like what i did there) the only player at your club who was ever able to give me even half a contest (and don't be listening to any oul shite from yer Da saying he could  ;) ) was a sally.
Don't Panic

behind the wire

Quote from: passedit on January 17, 2008, 11:59:07 AM
BTW BTW (like what i did there) the only player at your club who was ever able to give me even half a contest (and don't be listening to any oul shite from yer Da saying he could  ;) ) was a sally.

:D :D

oh we have had a good few from the other side of the community over the years. all decent players too from what i hear. has only been a couple since the mid 90's though.

He who laughs last thinks the slowest

passedit

Quote from: behind the wire on January 17, 2008, 12:13:55 PM
Quote from: passedit on January 17, 2008, 11:59:07 AM

:D :D

oh we have had a good few from the other side of the community over the years. all decent players too from what i hear. has only been a couple since the mid 90's though.

That's a pity BTW, i'd say that's a symptom of the growing 'loyalist' element in the town rather than any change in attitude in the club?
Don't Panic

Zulu

I don't have very strong opinions on this but I'd be more inclined towards the lads who support the retention of the flag and anthem. I would be slow to remove them because the vast majority of people who play and support GAA (now and in the future) have no problem with it. And I'm dubious about whether unionists have any real issue with them either, after all don't they stand for the Irish flag and anthem when in Lansdown rd. or Croke Park for the rugby and didn't they also do that at away games during the troubles?
       I'm all for inclusiveness and I think that we should do all in our power to make the Ulster Protestant community feel as welcome as possible. But it is a two way street and I think that if protestants started joining the GAA and contributing to the GAA in a meaningful way that it is then we should start addressing any issues they might have. Outside of the AI final I'd not be too concerned whether they play AnaF or not, GAA supporters are probably the least respectful of the national anthem anyway, but the flag should always be flown IMO. At least until a significant number of actual members don't want it to.