A Different Ball Game - The Future of the GAA in Northern Ireland

Started by Zulu, January 14, 2008, 08:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 16, 2008, 09:50:16 PM

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 16, 2008, 09:46:18 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 16, 2008, 09:38:26 PM
Tell me this gnevin, what's your master-plan for getting teachers in state schools in the north to teach Protestant kids how to play Gaelic games?

Or if we want to get even more off-topic, what about integrated education and everone having the opportunity to play GAA and Rugby at all schools?

Yeah, good luck with that idea.
Maybe we should stick with things that are possible.
Well i was only being half serious (not that i don't favour the idea in principle) - in reply to the quote from the previous poster. That's debate's for another day.

ardmhachaabu

Tell me this gnevin, what's your master-plan for getting teachers in state schools in the north to teach Protestant kids how to play Gaelic games?

Or if we want to get even more off-topic, what about integrated education and everone having the opportunity to play GAA and Rugby at all schools?
Hmm, yeah... what about them?  :)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Rossfan

Take the "taig only" sign down from the gate when the kids are training.  There's an idea.
With people like you and gnevin the future of the GAA is in safe hands  ::)

Good to see you recognise that. At least we dont hang exclusionist signs on our gates. ;)
It's all colours and creeds (even Mayos) welcome at my little clubeen anyway - and we have Prods playing with us too - Irish ones what's more - you know like Dubhglas De hIde.  :)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

pintsofguinness

It's a bit different in Ross than it is in the 6 counties.

oh yeah and  ;)  ???  8)
::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gnevin

Quote from: Gnevin on January 16, 2008, 09:13:46 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on January 16, 2008, 08:29:34 PM
At first glance that appears to be a contradiction in terms, but i think i know what you mean. The G.A.A. at present does have an international dimension, in so far that units of the association exist in many countries, made up mainly of emigrants but containing some first and second generations who are citizens of the country in which they reside. If this what you seek as an international dimension to build on and expand, then for once we are in agreement, certainly better than seeking to develop the bastarised International Rules series. But what do you see within the association as at present constituted would prevent the development of an international dimension
I noting i suppose but i fail to see how "basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity of a 32 County Ireland" is relevant to a American who is interested in play football or hurling or how an Irish tricolour is relevant in China .

I rather the GAA reverted to it old aims of

1. To foster and promote the native Irish pastimes.
   2. To open athletics to all social classes.
   3. To aid in the establishment of hurling and football clubs which would organise matches between counties.

So basically, you want to change what the Association says it stands for to (possibly) please a few unionists?
No i would consider most of what I'd suggest to be minor wording changes or cosmetic changes where the core values remain unchanged .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2008, 09:49:33 PM
How about Gaelic games in snooty Rugby Schools?
That Ban seems to be permanent. >:(

Dublin's Hurling heartland is fast become south Dublin and the schools you mention above
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2008, 09:40:52 PM
Why doesnt your club offer to coach them in your area?
Or is it better to keep the games exclusionist? ;)

Oh that's it!  Take the "taig only" sign down from the gate when the kids are training.  There's an idea.
With people like you and gnevin the future of the GAA is in safe hands  ::)

Yeah, good luck with that idea.
Maybe we should stick with things that are possible.

What exactly is it about what I'm say that your find so objectionable ?

Pangurban

Gnevin says he wants

3. To aid in the establishment of hurling and football clubs which would organise matches between counties
All this with the exception of Athletics which is now under the auspices of their governing ownbody, is being done at present. Would you identify the things which are not being done, or, the things being done which you think should not be done. Please dont reply with a litany of quotes from previous posts, state your case clearly and aid or understanding of your difficulties with association as at present constituted.

pintsofguinness

QuoteWhat exactly is it about what I'm say that your find so objectionable ?

I just think you're being pc for the sake of being pc and also very naive.

Gnevin

Quote from: Pangurban on January 16, 2008, 10:46:44 PM
Gnevin says he wants

3. To aid in the establishment of hurling and football clubs which would organise matches between counties
All this with the exception of Athletics which is now under the auspices of their governing ownbody, is being done at present. Would you identify the things which are not being done, or, the things being done which you think should not be done. Please dont reply with a litany of quotes from previous posts, state your case clearly and aid or understanding of your difficulties with association as at present constituted.
It's not what being done it's the baggage added  , the Nationalist baggage, the 32 county baggage, the politic baggage.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 16, 2008, 10:53:47 PM

No i was discussing the importance of symbols , GAA policy and values. While considerings how we could widen the appeal of the Association without undermining it's core values.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on January 16, 2008, 10:57:42 PM

No i was discussing the importance of symbols , GAA policy and values. While considerings how we could widen the appeal of the Association without undermining it's core values.
Being PC for the sake of being PC. 
Do you think someone who was interested in our games would be put off by a tircolour or the national anthem?  and even if they were, do you not think they might attend the games where there would be no flag or anthem? 
How naive. 

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 16, 2008, 11:01:04 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 16, 2008, 10:57:42 PM

Being PC for the sake of being PC. 
Do you think someone who was interested in our games would be put off by a tircolour or the national anthem?  and even if they were, do you not think they might attend the games where there would be no flag or anthem? 
How naive. 
What if their problem is the 32 county stuff ?

Well the Northern lot threaten to stop playing for Ireland due to the tricolour and anthem

You accuse me of being naive, yet you believe their isn't one person who may have had an issue with the above?

If possible can you stop throwing labels around and maybe try discussing the issues ?

pintsofguinness

You've been told on this thread what the unionist problem is - they've been brought up to see the GAA as the IRA at play. 

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 16, 2008, 11:08:47 PM

You've been told on this thread what the unionist problem is - they've been brought up to see the GAA as the IRA at play. 

"Former Armagh player Jarlath Burns, in a revealing article in the now defunct Daily Ireland recalls going to watch an Orange parade in South Armagh, thinking he would blend in unrecognised, only to end up in lively conversation with some of the local brethren about his team's chances in that year's All-Ireland."
Clearly thats what everyone of them thinks alright