Tír Eoghain vs Cill Dara NFL 2008

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, January 13, 2008, 09:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

What about:

John Devine
                                                             (Errigal Ciaran)

P J Quinn
(Moortown)                                             Conor Gormley (Carrickmore)                              Martin Swift (Killyclogher)

Davy Harte
(Errigal Ciaran)                                            Dermot Carlin (Killyclogher)                              Philip Jordan (Moy)

Kevin Hughes (Killeeshil)

Enda McGinley (Errigal Ciaran)

Colm Cavanagh (Moy)                                     Raymond Mulgrew (Cookstown)           Ryan Mellon (Moy)

Colm McCullagh (Dromore)                                Tommy McGuigan (Ardboe)             Shaun O'Neill (Dromore)

SUBSTITUTES:

Pascal McConnell
(Newtownstewart)
Niall Gormley
(Trillick)
Colin Holmes
(Armagh Harps)
Cathal McCarron
(Dromore)
Damian McCaul
(Donaghmore)
Owen Mulligan
(Cookstown)
From Teamtalkmag.com

mick999

The full teamtalk article :

Three league newcomers in Tyrone side to face Kildare

Mickey Harte has named three NFL debutants in his side for this weekend's opening division one fixture at home to Kildare, a county that the Tyrone boss has never before encountered as manager.

Moortown's P J Quinn and Killyclogher's Martin Swift have been handed the corner back duties for Saturday's floodlit encounter, with last year's senior club championship top scorer, Dromore's Shaun O'Neill, pencilled in at left corner forward.

The trio, who all had outstanding seasons for their respective clubs in 2007, have earned their league opportunities after promising displays in the recent McKenna Cup campaign.

Three more players will make their first Tyrone appearances of 2008 in Healy Park this Saturday night.

Kevin Hughes, who recently returned from honeymoon, will join forces with Enda McGinley (also recently married!) in an experienced midfield sector, with Colm Cavanagh and Raymond Mulgrew set to team up with Ryan Mellon in the half-forward line after representing Jordanstown in the McKenna Cup programme.

The UUJ pair contributed significantly to Tyrone's exit from the January competition as the students defeated the Red Hands in Omagh earlier this month, inflicting a first McKenna Cup loss on Mickey Harte's side in almost five years.

Conor Gormley, meanwhile, will make his first start of the year after a very brief showing as a substitute in the McKenna Cup and the Carrickmore man, who captained Ulster to the inter-provincial title towards the end of last year, will be at number three in direct opposition to Kildare veteran Dermot Earley. The 2007 Teamtalk county footballer of the year separates two of the Tyrone newcomers in the full-back line.

The third newcomer, Shaun O'Neill, will have his clubmate Colm McCullagh and Tommy McGuigan for company on his league introduction in the full-forward line.

At the other end of the field, John Devine is poised for his first league outing in nearly two years, his inclusion in the team bringing an end to Pascal McConnell's ten-game sequence as Tyrone's NFL goalkeeper.

Philip Jordan, named alongside Davy Harte and Dermot Carlin in the half-back department, is another player who missed last year's league campaign through injury.

Tyrone's injury problems of the last two seasons certainly haven't vanished as yet, with no fewer than ten members of the 32-man Tyrone panel unavailable for duty against the Lilywhites.

Brian Dooher, Joe McMahon, Justin McMahon, Peter Donnelly, Mickey McGee, Martin Penrose, Sean Cavanagh, Ryan McMenamin and Brian McGuigan have not made it into the squad for Saturday's game, while Ciaran Gourley is unavailable on account of his club Rock's involvement in the All-Ireland junior club final in Croke Park on Sunday 17th February.

The Tyrone bench includes experience in the form of Pascal McConnell, Collie Holmes and Owen Mulligan, with Niall Gormley, Damian McCaul and Dromore defender Cathal McCarron completing the list of fit players.

ONeill

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 31, 2008, 12:43:44 AM
                                             John Devine
P J Quinn                               Conor Gormley                             Martin Swift
Davy Harte                             Dermot Carlin                               Philip Jordan
                               Kevin Hughes         Enda McGinley
Colm Cavanagh                        Raymond Mulgrew                       Ryan Mellon
Colm McCullagh                       Tommy McGuigan                         Shaun O'Neill
SUBSTITUTES:

Another year kickstarts this Saturday night. A fairly strong spine in Gormley-Carlin-Hughes-Mulgrew. All eyes really will be on the performances of Quinn, Swift and O'Neill. Very much an attacking half back line so it looks like Swift and Quinn will receive enough exposure to gauge how good they are at this level although that also depends on the quality of the Lily corner forwards. I thought O'Neill would've started at FF with McGuigan at 15. Good to see Mulgrew at CHF - a position he could possible revel in long term. He's flanked by the Moy contingent. We know what Mellon can do on form (and what he can't too) but this is the second year for Colm - a chance to nail down a starting position - is 10 is best? With the injuries at the minute he's a stopgap in that position - probably like to see him dunging out around the middle with McGinley and Hughes. Hope the honeymoon was a relaxing time for Hub though in marrying a Hill woman he's in for a rough time of it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

supersarsfields

I would imagine Colm Cavanagh will drop deep into the midfield leaving a bit of space in front Of McCullagh to give him the space to take his marker for a run.
Will be interesting to see how Tommy gets on at FF.
I can't believe CArlin is at CHB tho. Given that he's known for his runs into attacking positions will he be able to hold the line there. Thought McCaul would have made the starting team this year as I was kinda inpressed by him.
I would agree Mulgrew is a very able deputy for Brian at No11. Looks a solid enough team. I would imagine Mugsy will get a run out at some stage as well.

Donagh

Glad to see Shaun finally getting his chance this weekend. Have watched him play with Queen's teams over the past few years and he's a real talent. Hell of a nice lad as well.

An Lark

Kildare team to face Tyrone has been added to the Kildare website. You were only wrong with the goalkeeper Dinny.

1 Thomas Corley (Moorefield) T Mac Thoirealaigh
2 Emmett Bolton (Eadestown) E Ó Boltún
3 Andrew McLoughlin (Ellistown)    A Mac Lochlainn
4 Morgan OFlaherty (Carbury)    M Ó Flahartaigh
5 Anthony Rainbow (Suncroft)   A Rainbow
6 Kevin ONeill (Moorefield) C Ó Neill
7 Gary White (Sarsfields) G De Faoite
8 Pádraig Mullarkey (Round Towers)    P Maolairce
9 Killian Brennan (Suncroft)    C Ó Braonáin
10 John Doyle (Allenwood)    S Ó Dúghaill
11 Michael Conway (Nurney)    M Mac Conmidhe
12 James Kavanagh (Ballymore)     S Ó Caomhánach
13 Ronan Sweeney (Moorefield) R Mac Suibhne
14 Demot Earley(Sarsfields)    D Ó Mochóir
15 Ken Donnelly (Ellistown)    C Ó Donnaile

tyroneman

Throw in time is listed on County Website as 7.30pm but in papers as 7.00pm

Anyone got the right time???????????????

Dinny Breen

Not sure about McLoughlin at fullback, would prefer to see O'Neill there. That must be the biggest full-forward line Kildare have ever put out, average height of about 6'3 I reckon,  looks like it will be high balls coming in with Conway and Doyle feeding off the front three. Actually that's just a big Kildare team period.
#newbridgeornowhere

Star Spangler

Quotelooks like it will be high balls coming in

That's what you get with an Armagh man managing you (us!  :-X )

I must get the flag up!  ;D

new devil

rrhf

tyrone men take not just because you see Mc Geeney again on the sideline at the end of the game, dosent mean you have just won the AI semifinal.

orangeman

Any one want to predict a scoreline ??

Any odds from the gamblers out there ?

Tyrones own

Jordan will need to show some of his old form, Doyle will take
some watching as always, very tidy footballer and great to watch.
I can see Conor having to put fires out again if Early isn't posing a threat
in the square. It'll be interesting to see if Hub can hit the ground running, other than
that a decent enough team.
Is it on T.V?  I'd like to get a look at the new lads in action.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

tyroneman

The Kerry / Derry match is on Setanta, nothing on TV3 (Do Setanta not have rights to ALL the NFL games now anyway?)

I would imagine that CG will be called into action all over the show on Saturday. Carlin for all his plus points is not a particularly great defender or man marker for that. With the big 6ft 2"+ FF line Kildare have I would rather have seen McCarron in at FB and CG sweeping as CHB.

Hub hitting the ground running is unlikely. Takes him a while to get up to speed and we have now been waiting over 4 years for him to get there.

Enda and Colm have been playing well, as has Mulgrew so MF should be ok and I'm not as downhearted about our attack as some.

Star Spangler

The Tyrone v Kildare game isn't being televised unfortunately.