Who will win ulster this year ?

Started by Our Nail Loney, January 11, 2008, 04:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

KerryMike is still mad about 1947

think Derry will win Ulster this year.

ziggysego

Derry hardstation, Derry.

But like we did with Armagh in 2005, we'll get them again in the long grass, before going onto win Sam ;)
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Greencastle Dinner Dance was last night, need I say more.......? ;)
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Sorry lads, Donegal may not win the Anglo-Celt, but we sure as fcuk will beat Derry!, now Monaghan in the semi's might be difficult (don't think so, because I think Monaghan will be a flash in the pan) but the Farney men put to the sword, if we get to the final then, we will beat Tyrone!  ;D
Tbc....

Minder

Quote from: Donagh on January 12, 2008, 02:25:49 AM
Going to be a big year for Antrim and the McGourtys:

1. Derry
2. Tyrone
3. Down
4. Armagh
5. Donegal
6. Monaghan
7. Cavan
8. Antrim
9. Fermanagh

In what way?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maguire01

Quote from: Donagh on January 12, 2008, 02:25:49 AM
Going to be a big year for Antrim and the McGourtys:

1. Derry
2. Tyrone
3. Down
4. Armagh
5. Donegal
6. Monaghan
7. Cavan
8. Antrim
9. Fermanagh

By what logic can you put Down at number 3? Is it last year's championship performance or their lofty division 3 status?
I wouldn't even stick a tenner on them if they were playing any of the bottom 3.

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 12, 2008, 10:32:38 PM
Sorry lads, Donegal may not win the Anglo-Celt, but we sure as fcuk will beat Derry!, now Monaghan in the semi's might be difficult (don't think so, because I think Monaghan will be a flash in the pan) but the Farney men put to the sword, if we get to the final then, we will beat Tyrone!  ;D

I think we'll give Derry a right go as well. Monaghan is always a very tricky tie for us, for some reason, so I wouldn't be too confident there, especially as they would be sure to move Cory in to the edge of the square.

Speaking of which, it will be interesting to see who McIver tries at fullback now that Paddy Campbell has finished. One the McGee brothers I would expect. The right wing back spot will be open again for Eamon now that McConigley had to quit, although McIver might try the likes of Frank McGlynn there. Personally, I would move Cassidy back to left wing back and put Dunnion on the right.

carnaross

Tyrone will win Ulster before goung on to lift Sam again. I say this only in the confidence of all the injuries clearing up. If they do, I see no problem with motivation.

I also think this route to the All-Ireland final is unfair - why should the Munster counties play only five games to get to the final and the Ulster counties play seven (if invloved in the preliminary round) and the Leinster counties the same. Some would say that more games mean sharper performances, but, surely in a Championship all teams should play the same number of games (barring replays).
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

jodyb

Cmon J70 we just about owe you one at this stage. I wouldn't say for sure we'll win it, but I think Derry have a more settled side than any Derry side that Donegal have met in the last 4 or 5 years.

And besides, with Kn#cker Campbell gone there'll be nobody to to attempt a genital exam on big Enda and get him sent off!! :D

It'll be interesting to see howthe sides get on in Ballybofey a few weeks time

J70

Quote from: jodyb on January 13, 2008, 11:17:55 AM
Cmon J70 we just about owe you one at this stage. I wouldn't say for sure we'll win it, but I think Derry have a more settled side than any Derry side that Donegal have met in the last 4 or 5 years.

And besides, with Kn#cker Campbell gone there'll be nobody to to attempt a genital exam on big Enda and get him sent off!! :D

It'll be interesting to see howthe sides get on in Ballybofey a few weeks time

I'm not saying we'll definitely beat you. I'd just be far more confident playing Derry than playing Tyrone, Armagh or Monaghan. We'll go in as slight underdogs, but if, for example, Lacey can keep Bradley reasonably quiet, I'd think we can do it. That said, you probably underestimated us a bit in 2006, when you'd beaten Tyrone and we had no full-forwards.

Long way to go before the championship though, obviously.

Our Nail Loney

midtowner

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 12, 2008, 10:32:38 PM

I wouldn't write off Monaghan this year, they will be marked men, but don't be surprised if they are there at the end :o :o

sam03/05

i think tyrone are the only team that can challenge Kerry - this has been proved over the past few seasons.
Tyrone should take ulster if they have all players injury free (if they have that then they are not far away from kerry).

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: Kerry Mike on January 12, 2008, 01:02:54 PM
Does it really matter who wins.

Ulster will still only have 15 All Irelands by the end of the year. And all of them just little blips in the overall GAA history.
There you go now  ;)

My €5 is on Monaghan.

Ah go on now Mike ....set up a wee poll for the munster Championship.Sure it's a minefield every year.Jesus I would'nt even like to try and predict the 2 finalists!!!!!

Redhandfan

Yes, let's all put the scud on the Oak Leaf men to win Ulster this year....they were the last team outside of Tyrone and Armagh to lift the Anglo-Celt Cup (back in 1998) and are now best equipped to break the stranglehold of the 'big two' ten years on!!

1) Derry
2) Tyrone
3) Armagh
4) Fermanagh
5) Donegal
6) Monaghan
7) Cavan
8) Down
9) Antrim