£terling and $ollar crashing against the €uro

Started by Donagh, January 10, 2008, 05:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: armaghniac on December 18, 2008, 11:04:24 AM
it is not getting any better for Tyrone supporters, Fionntamhnach. I reckon you should throw the Armagh game and hope to draw a  team in the qualifiers that yuou can respectably loose to, so as to cut the expense.

currently €1 = £0.94350, your £ only buys IR£0.835 now.

in economic terms, thus is getting beyond a joke though. Such a rapid change brings all manners of economic dislocations. 

It's 95p now and rising - mulitiple fractures more like.

the Deel Rover

was looking at at car up north in september at the time 10k sterling was going to cost me €12930  today i would get it for €11000 that some difference in 3 months think i'll wait another few months before buying
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

heganboy

Quote from: redhandluke on December 17, 2008, 11:14:08 PM
Currency trading has finished for the day and the Euro is up a massive 3% on Sterling in just one day. 

Currency trading is 24x7 it doesn't stop for the day?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

armaghniac

Quotewas looking at at car up north in september at the time 10k sterling was going to cost me €12930  today i would get it for €11000 that some difference in 3 months think i'll wait another few months before buying

Exactly. So all trade in values etc of cars in the South have now dropped by €1500. If you were a dealer and took in a car in September and haven't sold it then you are not going to have a good Christmas.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

redhandluke

Quote from: heganboy on December 18, 2008, 11:41:07 AM
Currency trading has finished for the day and the Euro is up a massive 3% on Sterling in just one day. 

More like 24x5 - no currency trading at the weekend - though I take your point.  New currency trading day starts at 2300hrs according to the BBC currency pages.

armaghniac

Now well clear of the 95p mark €1 = £0.95225.
That's up a penny in an hour or so.

It is pity the economy in the South has turned bad, otherwise they could just have bought the 6 counties.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

It's well and truly bolloxed now :

Euro jumps close to 98p sterling
Monday, 29 December 2008 17:19
The euro has again been hitting new record high points against sterling, touching 97.99p against the British currency this afternoon. Later in the evening, it fell to just below 97.5p.

Sterling has fallen over the past month on expectations that the Bank of England will cut interest rates after gloomy economic data from Britain. Lower interest rates make a country's currency less attractive to investors.

Sterling has lost around a third of its value against the euro and the dollar over the last year. Two weeks ago the pound crashed through the 90p level against the euro for the first time since the single European currency was launched in 1999.

AdvertisementThe latest sterling drops came as a new report showed that as many as 600,000 people could lose their jobs in Britain next year, making 2009 the worst year for unemployment since 1991.

The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) said a widely-expected recession would bite hard in Britain next year and could push unemployment close to the three million mark before the economy begins to recover.

heganboy

Quote from: redhandluke on December 18, 2008, 12:20:03 PM
Quote from: heganboy on December 18, 2008, 11:41:07 AM

More like 24x5 - no currency trading at the weekend - though I take your point.  New currency trading day starts at 2300hrs according to the BBC currency pages.

not quite- trading is 24x7, unlike stock market, trading does not require a exchange, just a broker, so when the broker is available trading is possible, and all of the big funds have a broker available 24x7

Parity approaching for the euro against GBP?

US dollar rising to 1.44 territory
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tony Baloney

It's already 1:1 in some shops around Armagh. I must nip up to the border and price diesel against the 97.9 I saw today in Armagh and I'm sure I could get it cheaper.

orangeman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 29, 2008, 09:08:48 PM
It's already 1:1 in some shops around Armagh. I must nip up to the border and price diesel against the 97.9 I saw today in Armagh and I'm sure I could get it cheaper.

They'll soon be giving €1.50 to the £.

comethekingdom

Its going to make it wild expensive for Tyrone fans to go to Clones & Dublin next year to defend their AI title. Imagine £60stg for an AI ticket and £5 stg for a pint in O Connell st.! They'd need to get the unionists on board to push for monetary union with the rest of Ireland!

orangeman

Quote from: hardstation on December 29, 2008, 10:18:32 PM
Scrap the euro and sterling. Yellow man should be the new currency.

Donkey's crackers would be easier and cheaper to produce !  ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: comethekingdom on December 29, 2008, 10:15:44 PM
Its going to make it wild expensive for Tyrone fans to go to Clones & Dublin next year to defend their AI title. Imagine £60stg for an AI ticket and £5 stg for a pint in O Connell st.! They'd need to get the unionists on board to push for monetary union with the rest of Ireland!

Not necessarily, depends on what currency you earn  ;) Any reason to get the unionists on board though, and not just for monetary union.

It's good news for the Med resorts, however, in that there'll be a marked decline in the brigades of butcher's apron festooned goons at the poolsides and on beaches, and I'm not talking about the six-county GAA folk.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

thewobbler

QuoteIt's good news for the Med resorts, however, in that there'll be a marked decline in the brigades of butcher's apron festooned goons at the poolsides and on beaches, and I'm not talking about the six-county GAA folk.
Yes, good news for the Med resorts in that the economy of those regions, which is almost 100% dependent on tourism, will completely and utterly collapse.

In fairness, a lot of Spanish could do with the kick up the arse. It couldn't be pleasant dealing with the English louts for 4 months a year, but instead of feeding the problem then complaining about it, maybe they'll improve their product.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 30, 2008, 02:44:52 PM
Heard word from back home that the ASDA supermarket in Enniskillen had to close for three hours a few days ago because of a fight that broke out between shoppers from opposite sides of the border?
Walmart's sixth best performing store worldwide!!!!