New Dublin captain

Started by his holiness nb, January 10, 2008, 01:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Alan Brogan is in for the year, discuss  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

feetofflames

In fairness Brogans a fine footballer - a captain needs composure, leadership, respect and class and also to be a fine footballer.
Chief Wiggum

Rav67

At least they've picked someone who should be guaranteed a starting spot, unlike last year.

the Deel Rover

i'd say it was a good choice HH , an all star the past 2 years and an excellent forward  allways seems to have  the best defender marking him. Still has to work on his passing and looking for the better option but i'd say he was a good choice. Needs to show a bit of maturity with regard to the showboating  but he will be grand, no need for him to practice the acceptance speech though ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

his holiness nb

Quote from: feetofflames on January 10, 2008, 01:57:12 PM
In fairness Brogans a fine footballer - a captain needs composure, leadership, respect and class and also to be a fine footballer.

Yep he wit fit right in there.
Showed great class and leadership in last years Leinster final not to be drawn into a fight and instead to have a laugh about the situation despite the Laois players best efforts.
Will be a fine captain imo.
Ask me holy bollix

Bensars

Not a bad footballer, but petulant . Great man to score points  3,4 and 5 when the dubs are up , however imho, doesnt turn a game when they need inspiration.

Too easy annoyed and if dublin are looking for a go to guy, he may be absent. (  ask conor gormley)

Declan

Interesting call alright - Good luck to him.

Laughed when I read this comment on Res Dubs - I can imagine the team talk before the matches "listen lads, I'm the captain, when I've the ball dont even think about calling for it, even if I've run out to the corner flag for reasons unknown, you wont be getting any ball off me"

feetofflames

Can remember seeing Brogan captaining Dublin to an AI under 21 final in 2003.   His acceptance of the cup that day was embarassing and juvenile.  Perhaps he could have grown up, but last years Leinster final sticks out in the memory.  To me it seems obvious that Pillau has taken the best and most popular player in his team to go down with him.    
Chief Wiggum

his holiness nb

Quote from: feetofflames on January 10, 2008, 02:07:52 PM
Can remember seeing Brogan captaining Dublin to an AI under 21 final in 2003.   His acceptance of the cup that day was embarassing and juvenile.  Perhaps he could have grown up, but last years Leinster final sticks out in the memory.  To me it seems obvious that Pillau has taken the best and most popular player in his team to go down with him.    

I thought he dealt with the situation quite maturely last year. What should he have done? thrown punches? would that have been more honourable?

Some lads need to get over themselves.
Ask me holy bollix

Declan

QuoteHis acceptance of the cup that day was embarassing and juvenile

Was in Navan myself that day and can't remember anything untoward about his speech. He even thanked the Meath county Board for the use of the pitch!!!

Bensars

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 10, 2008, 01:50:14 PM

You want people to discuss NB.  But if it doesnt fit with your own rationale, "Some lads need to get over themselves."

Zulu

A fine player no doubt and a guaranteed starter but not captain material IMO. I don't know the man at all so I could be way off the mark but his sometimes selfish and headless play would militate against him as captain. I'd go for someone like Cahill, a solid performer who might rarely be eye cathingly brilliant but is rarely cleaned out either.

AZOffaly

Hnb, I thought Brogan let himself down last year with all that carry on, but then again he wasn't the only one of the Dubs who did it. Bryan Cullen to Declan O'Sullivan also stands out in my mind, probably because Declan went on to score 1-3 and win man of the match :D

However, he is a good footballer, and is probably respected in the Dublin camp so he will surely be a grand captain.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Bensars on January 10, 2008, 02:20:02 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on January 10, 2008, 01:50:14 PM

You want people to discuss NB.  But if it doesnt fit with your own rationale, "Some lads need to get over themselves."

I just think the constant whingeing over last years Leinster final is ridiculous. If he reacted as the Laois players were hoping, with violence, the outcry wouldnt have been as bad.
Ask me holy bollix

feetofflames

Agh good luck to him and lets hope he has a good one.  I just think he is less Jimmy Keaveney more Jimmy Krankee.
Chief Wiggum