Eircom league and IFA soccer

Started by his holiness nb, January 09, 2008, 06:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on January 10, 2008, 02:09:41 PM
I never said who offered him the money, did I?

Run along.

Run along ?  ::)

You named a played and suggested he took money from the GAA to play. Of course you just said he was "offered" it. Unless you are suggesting he was offered it to quit soccer, turned it down, and quit soccer anyway?  ::) ::)

No need to be patronising I was just tying to save you from getting into trouble.
Ask me holy bollix

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 10, 2008, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on January 10, 2008, 02:09:41 PM
I never said who offered him the money, did I?

Run along.

Run along ?  ::)

You named a played and suggested he took money from the GAA to play. Of course you just said he was "offered" it. Unless you are suggesting he was offered it to quit soccer, turned it down, and quit soccer anyway?  ::) ::)

No need to be patronising I was just tying to save you from getting into trouble.

I can assure you, the likelyhood of legal action on this is negligible as I'm not for a second suggesting any law was broken and even if Jayo is reading this, is having a bad day and sends his lawyers to battle, I'm not the one getting in trouble.

Your concern is touching. But as usual, misplaced.

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on January 10, 2008, 02:17:35 PM
I can assure you, the likelyhood of legal action on this is negligible as I'm not for a second suggesting any law was broken and even if Jayo is reading this, is having a bad day and sends his lawyers to battle, I'm not the one getting in trouble.

Your concern is touching. But as usual, misplaced.

The bit above in bold is absolutely ridiculous, and its a lie. Remove it immediately.   (its since been removed by mods)
How in the hell did I suggest he took money. I didnt suggest anything bar removing the post!!!??

I know no laws were broken if true, but the suggestion is he broke a fundamental rule of the GAA. I'm sure he wont be happy with that.
Ask me holy bollix

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 10, 2008, 02:22:10 PM

I did not mention the GAA in relation to that. You did. Twice now. At this point, any potential libel is actually on you.

Yet again, you go swinging in over the ball without reading what was actually said and thinking through your response.

Can we get back on topic? I stand over my assertation that there is a section of the GAA that like soccer, but dislike and patronise the LoI as its a rival.

Zulu

QuoteThe Univerity of Limerick did a study 3/4 years ago and the LoI players were light years ahead of the intercounty GAA players in terms of aerobic fitness. They are professional athletes and play 40+ competitive games a year.

I'd like to see that study as I've never heard of it, any link? And while it may or may not exist there is no way that LoI players were light years ahead of IC players in terms of aerobic fitness.

Gaaboardmod3

Alright lads, before this descends into another pre-menstrual like battle between the two of ye, can ye leave it there. Dublinfella, you know your comment about Jayo was designed to spark a response, despite the fact that you left it as 'allegedly' and ambiguous enough so that you could say anybody offered him money, not necessarily the GAA. So don't be a smart alec when someone jumps in.

His Holiness, dublinfella is technically correct in that, if you read his post, he never mentions the GAA giving Jayo any money. You inferred that he did, which is why he says that you mentioned it. If this continues, it will get into another 'he said, you said' argument and semantics will be the name of the game.

So lads, can the two of ye simply ignore each other please? This is the second time at least that something like this has happened, and threads just disintegrate while the spat is going on.

Cheers.

Main Street

Quote from: dublinfella on January 10, 2008, 01:59:48 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on January 09, 2008, 10:09:31 PM
The GAA players are a lot fitter than the local soccer players...When Armagh won the all Ireland they were guest's at Celtic due to Neil Lennon...Martin O'Neill commented that most of the GAA players were as fit as a lot of the professional players at Celtic...They train as much as professionals during the championship season.

The Univerity of Limerick did a study 3/4 years ago and the LoI players were light years ahead of the intercounty GAA players in terms of aerobic fitness. They are professional athletes and play 40+ competitive games a year.

Martin O'Neill, if he did say that, was being polite. l
Light years ???
Maybee you´ll come out with a gem like Rugby forwards have greater stamina over the first 10 metres.

Are you are referring to this study?
http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/39/7/437

"Soccer players had lower body fat levels, greater aerobic capacity, greater strength endurance, and greater flexibility compared to both Gaelic footballers and hurlers, possibly due to specific training and conditioning programmes or physical adaptation to match play The greater strength of both Gaelic footballers and hurlers and the superior speed endurance levels of Gaelic footballers also reflect the physical nature of the sports. Similar speed levels amongst all three sports reflect the importance of speed for performance.

Conclusions: The various physiological attributes for Gaelic football, soccer, and hurling reflect the physical requirements for success and participation in each of these field games."

AZOffaly

QuoteI'd like to see that study as I've never heard of it, any link? And while it may or may not exist there is no way that LoI players were light years ahead of IC players in terms of aerobic fitness.

I have heard of that study. And I think Rugby players were also measured. I think the Rugby lads were #1 in Strength, #2 in aerobics. Soccer were #3 in strength, #1 in aerobics and GAA lads were #2 in Strength and #3 in aerobic fitness.

I'll try and dig it out, but I'm not sure at what stage of the season the study was carried out, nor what the sample size was, nor even what positions the players played.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on January 10, 2008, 02:35:01 PM
Alright lads, before this descends into another pre-menstrual like battle between the two of ye, can ye leave it there. Dublinfella, you know your comment about Jayo was designed to spark a response, despite the fact that you left it as 'allegedly' and ambiguous enough so that you could say anybody offered him money, not necessarily the GAA. So don't be a smart alec when someone jumps in.

His Holiness, dublinfella is technically correct in that, if you read his post, he never mentions the GAA giving Jayo any money. You inferred that he did, which is why he says that you mentioned it. If this continues, it will get into another 'he said, you said' argument and semantics will be the name of the game.

So lads, can the two of ye simply ignore each other please? This is the second time at least that something like this has happened, and threads just disintegrate while the spat is going on.

Cheers.

Fair enough, I did suggest previously that we avoid each other at all costs due to this sort of crap and even extended good wishes for Christmas before without any response but will give it another go.
BUT please ensure this lies is removed first
It is very clear I did not for one second suggest he took money from ANYONE.
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

And back on topic, is there ANYONE out there who will admit to disliking local soccer due to "rivalry" while following English soccer?

Ask me holy bollix

Zulu

QuoteAre you are referring to this study?
http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/39/7/437

That study was conducted in Tralee IT so I presume it is not the same study DF is referring to and AZ recckons he can remember a UL study also, is that right AZ?
          Regardless as with all these types of studies the devil will be in the detail and irrespective of the results DF's statement that LoI players are light years ahead is wrong. But if someone can post up the details of the study I'd be very interested.

AZOffaly

To be honest, I can't remember if it was done at UL or not, but I vaguely remember some study that examined this. I was sure that Rugby players were evaluated as well.

Gaaboardmod3

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 10, 2008, 02:44:57 PM
Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on January 10, 2008, 02:35:01 PM

Cheers.

Fair enough, I did suggest previously that we avoid each other at all costs due to this sort of crap and even extended good wishes for Christmas before without any response but will give it another go.
BUT please ensure this lies is removed first "No, you suggested he took money from the GAA. What an outrageous thing to suggest"
It is very clear I did not for one second suggest he took money from ANYONE.

Alright. I will remove that statement from dublinfella's post. But, once again, I believe he was saying that he had never mentioned the GAA paying Sherlock and you were the first to mention it, albeit only in saying that that's what you thought he said. It's all semantics and word play, but I'll remove it anyway. Now both of ye let it go.

Zulu

QuoteTo be honest, I can't remember if it was done at UL or not, but I vaguely remember some study that examined this. I was sure that Rugby players were evaluated as well.

If there was a study done in UL then it would have been published, but I can't find it, so I'd be confident that there wasn't one done at all. And the ITT study doesn't prove anything in terms of which players are fitter.

AZOffaly

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 10, 2008, 02:48:40 PM
And back on topic, is there ANYONE out there who will admit to disliking local soccer due to "rivalry" while following English soccer?

I don't dislike local soccer because of Rivalry with the GAA, but I'm sure there are some that do. I know quite a few older lads who would 'support' Manchester United, Liverpool, Everton, Leeds or Arsenal but would not set foot in a LOI game, because they see it as a foreign game and a competition for players. I suppose their rationale for not having any issue with the English clubs is that lads are unlikely to go playing for Liverpool rather than Ferbane.

So, in short, I think he does have a point. But I would suggest it's a small enough section who would think like that. Most people I know, myself included (And I have attended quite a few in my time.), who don't attend LOI matches refrain because the quality is very poor and they don't feel like making an effort to attend a game which they know has a good chance of being fairly poor. Although there are lots of crap games in the Premiership and CL, the only effort you have to make is to press '401' on your remote.