Linfield V CVille

Started by Square Ball, January 07, 2008, 08:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on January 09, 2008, 03:35:03 PM
I have no problem with you replying to me as for once, you dealt with what I said, not launch a personal attack.

For once I didnt launch a personal attack?

Jesus christ man, I am trying to let things lie, do the same without having sly little digs. You were every bit as guilty if not more so in the personal attack area, let it go.

I dont think people despise Irish football for those reasons. I think the main reasons are 1) its shite and 2) the Eircom league fans.
Ask me holy bollix

Rav67

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 09, 2008, 03:38:13 PM
I have no problem with you replying to me as for once, you dealt with what I said, not launch a personal attack.

And vice versa, please.

I dont think people despise Irish football for those reasons. I think the main reasons are 1) its shite and 2) the Eircom league fans.

In fairness the Eircom league fans are hardly worse than soccer fans in England, Scotland or mainland Europe surely?

his holiness nb

True but they are at a safe distance  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

All i'm saying is that there are posters here who clearly despise Irish football but like foreign stuff and base this around some sense of loyalty to the GAA. Its a very perverse sense of patriotism.
It's a big board, so a claim that some posters are -- fill in blank space-- is an easy option.
It's a GAA board, GAA is the nr.1 sport here.
Soccer is mainly viewed as a TV sport, not activly supported as in members of a club.

Statistics prove, as carried in a recent survey :)
that twice as many people who claim they participate in GAA sport are members of a GAA club than people who claim they participate in soccer are members of a soccer club.
The people the LOI should be after are the soccer only fans who claim they only participate in soccer but are not members of any club, who follow some foreigh team on the TV whilst ignoring their home league. Probably about 200,000 of them.

But some people just love to be victims and hold grudges.

dublinfella

yet will follow teams like Leeds who are dire with an animal loyalist support?

somethings not right there.

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on January 09, 2008, 05:02:35 PM

Something very ironic about that statement given the reputation of the fans of the Irish club you so vehemently defended.
Leeds wannanbees!
Ask me holy bollix

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 09, 2008, 05:17:14 PM

Something very ironic about that statement given the reputation of the fans of the Irish club you so vehemently defended.
Leeds wannanbees!

Shamrock Rovers fans are wannabie Loyalists?  ???

I never defended them once by the way, I just agreed with their analysis of what TD were up to.

By your logic by the way, people who have a moderate interest in hurling would all be Kilkenny fans regardless of where they were from. But that would just be stupid, wouldnt it?

Hardy

Quote from: dublinfella on January 09, 2008, 05:43:14 PM

I never defended them once by the way

That's a lie. You specifically defended their use of the "f*** off and die" banner here. You can't have forgotten and you're stupid to expect us to have forgotten. I can post your post, if you'd like.

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on January 09, 2008, 05:43:14 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on January 09, 2008, 05:17:14 PM

Leeds wannanbees!

Shamrock Rovers fans are wannabie Loyalists?  ???

I never defended them once by the way, I just agreed with their analysis of what TD were up to.

By your logic by the way, people who have a moderate interest in hurling would all be Kilkenny fans regardless of where they were from. But that would just be stupid, wouldnt it?

Firstly no, Rovers fans are not wannabee Loyalists. Thats stupid.  Equally as stupid as suggesting all Leeds fans are loyalist scum.
Wannabee proper hooligans, yes in many cases.

You argued the Rovers case here and defended the "f**k you and die" banner of their fans, this is why I said you defended them, simple logic.
Note I said you defended them, not supported them. Just to be clear.
And dont say you didnt defend the banner, you made the argument that making the banner was understandable given the court case.

Now to suggest anyone who has a moderate interest in hurling is a kilkenny fan, well yes, that is just stupid and has no relevance to you defending the scummy banner of the kn**ker fans who made it.

Ask me holy bollix

saffron sam2

I think dublinfella has a semblance of a point, but he lets himself down with his usual scattergun type approach. I can't agree with the point he is making, but I do genuinely think that there is an element within the GAA that despises soccer, moreso than any other sport. I can give several specific examples of such behaviour, admittedly most are from several years ago and I feel that this element is simply a rump of malcontents that will become extinct eventually.  It is not something that I have ever picked up from posters on the gaaboard.

I would therefore challenge dublinfella to list specific examples to illustrate his point. With over 1900 members it shouldn't be too difficult.

I would also like to point out that I have no animosity towards any Eircom league club and certainly don't want to see any go bankrupt. Nor do I want Shamrock Rovers ever to have to leave Milltown.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

corn02

Lads you are being very harsh on the local game. Sky has covered three games and two have been excellent and one has been brutal. Every game can not to be of the highest standard. Anyone watching expecting Ronaldo flicks e.t.c should wise themselves up. It has been many a year since I was at an Irish League match but I watched these games mindful in the fact that the standard would not be of the highest quality. I enjoyed hard, competitive football from the three teams involved so far.

magickingdom

Quote from: dublinfella on January 09, 2008, 01:49:59 AM
Quote from: stephenite on January 09, 2008, 01:35:17 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on January 09, 2008, 01:31:03 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 08, 2008, 09:00:32 AM
Fair enough lads, it may have been a poor enough match, but Cliftonville had a good few first team regulars injured and suspended, so from a Reds perspective it was a great result! Connolly the keeper had an outstanding game (wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't been noticed by a league team in England on that performance!).

the people who you are talking to have no interest in being fair, they see soccer as the enemy and that means it should get no coverage, end of.

Jeez - Nearly every second thread on this side of the board is devoted to soccer teams - hardly the enemy than, is it?

thats foreign football. the difference in attitude to domestic ball is palpable.

dublinfella, i've been to plenty of league of ireland matches over the years and while 90% of the supporters are decent i've been shocked to the core by some of the anti gaa comments i've heard. i had no idea that people could actually hate the gaa that much, but such is life and my attitude is fcuk them i wouldnt waste my breath trying to talk to them. i admit its not a great attitude but thats it. serious question for you dublinfella, have you any interest in gaa? do you go to games? did you ever play gaa? even tho i disagree with 99% of what you post (and i cant remember the other 1% ;)) i admire you never ending loyalty to shamrock rovers. fair play to you for that..

BallyhaiseMan

i just dont get all the interest in this Soccer shite,bunch of fairies ,falling around the place at even the slightest hint of contact.
i dont hate Soccer because its the enemy,i hate it because its a womens game.

GAA and Rugby and American Football for me everyday.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Square Ball on January 07, 2008, 08:14:40 PM
Anyone watching this crap?

Quite a few if this report in to-day's Irish News is to be believed.

QuoteSky's the limit for Irish League coverage Irish soccer
By Brendan Crossan
10/01/08

THE Irish Premier League is attracting more Sky viewers than lower division football in England – and the satellite channel may consider stepping up its 'live' coverage of local football next
season. The satellite conglomerate is contracted to showing five 'live' games from the Carneige
sponsored league this year as part of a £10m four-year deal with the IFA.
It is understood Sky is considering doubling their 'live' coverage of Irish Premier League games next season after half-a-million viewers tuned in to watch their first game between Cliftonville and Linfield at Solitude last September.
Subsequent 'live' games featuring Glentoran versus Linfield at the Oval and Linfield versus Cliftonville at Windsor Park have also attracted encouraging viewing figures.
Although Sky does not release its viewing figures, a spokesperson said yesterday that satellite bosses were "very happy" with the impact Irish football has made.
Sky's next 'live' instalment is Newry City versus Coleraine on February 4 at the Newry Showgrounds and it is hoped their fifth and final 'live' game will be a title decider around April time.
The spokesperson added though that it was "too early" to talk about increasing their 'live' coverage ahead of next season or considering a highlights programme, but it is believed a bigger package is in the offing.
One Cliftonville source said: "I know Sky don't normally release their viewing figures, but after half a million watched the Cliftonville-Linfield game at Solitude, the people at Sky were keen for us to publicise the figures because they were delighted with them." For Sky to hit the 500,000 mark in their first 'live' screening of Irish League football easily surpasses the viewing figures for English League games.
A number of Premier League games have had to be rescheduled because of the CIS Cup final on Saturday, February 2. The Windsor Park final will be contested between Linfield and Crusaders (2.30pm), and their games at home to Dungannon Swifts and Larne will be played at a later date.
Five games have been moved back a day, and will instead be played on Friday, February 1, with kick-off at 7.45pm. The rescheduled games are: Cliftonville v Lisburn Distillery, Glenavon v Institute, Glentoran v Donegal Celtic, Limavady United v Armagh City and Portadown v Ballymena United.

Very surprised at the 500,000 myself.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

dublinfella

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 10, 2008, 03:17:13 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on January 07, 2008, 08:14:40 PM
Anyone watching this crap?

Quite a few if this report in to-day's Irish News is to be believed.

QuoteSky's the limit for Irish League coverage Irish soccer
By Brendan Crossan
10/01/08

THE Irish Premier League is attracting more Sky viewers than lower division football in England – and the satellite channel may consider stepping up its 'live' coverage of local football next
season. The satellite conglomerate is contracted to showing five 'live' games from the Carneige
sponsored league this year as part of a £10m four-year deal with the IFA.
It is understood Sky is considering doubling their 'live' coverage of Irish Premier League games next season after half-a-million viewers tuned in to watch their first game between Cliftonville and Linfield at Solitude last September.
Subsequent 'live' games featuring Glentoran versus Linfield at the Oval and Linfield versus Cliftonville at Windsor Park have also attracted encouraging viewing figures.
Although Sky does not release its viewing figures, a spokesperson said yesterday that satellite bosses were "very happy" with the impact Irish football has made.
Sky's next 'live' instalment is Newry City versus Coleraine on February 4 at the Newry Showgrounds and it is hoped their fifth and final 'live' game will be a title decider around April time.
The spokesperson added though that it was "too early" to talk about increasing their 'live' coverage ahead of next season or considering a highlights programme, but it is believed a bigger package is in the offing.
One Cliftonville source said: "I know Sky don't normally release their viewing figures, but after half a million watched the Cliftonville-Linfield game at Solitude, the people at Sky were keen for us to publicise the figures because they were delighted with them." For Sky to hit the 500,000 mark in their first 'live' screening of Irish League football easily surpasses the viewing figures for English League games.
A number of Premier League games have had to be rescheduled because of the CIS Cup final on Saturday, February 2. The Windsor Park final will be contested between Linfield and Crusaders (2.30pm), and their games at home to Dungannon Swifts and Larne will be played at a later date.
Five games have been moved back a day, and will instead be played on Friday, February 1, with kick-off at 7.45pm. The rescheduled games are: Cliftonville v Lisburn Distillery, Glenavon v Institute, Glentoran v Donegal Celtic, Limavady United v Armagh City and Portadown v Ballymena United.

Very surprised at the 500,000 myself.

Asian gambling. Its a lot harder to predict than the English game. Huge tv figures for the LoI as well.